ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

thinking of buyin a 172!

Porsche Boxster

hi everyone,

Firstly HELLO! im new here, and sorry for the rather long post!

ive been lookin through this forum on and off for the last few weeks. basically im gonna sell my ever faithful focus and want something a bit quicker. ive narrowed by short list down to a 172 or a civic type r (was thinkin about a focus st170, but after a test drive was a little dissapointed after the test drive). now the clio is a fair bit cheaper (ive seen second hand ones goin for around 8k whereas the type r is around 11k)

one thing that has been worrying me is the clios reliability! obviously i know im going to read about problems on a forum, cos people dont usually post saying "my car is fine...... thanks for reading :)"

so basically how worried should i be? would be re assuring to hear from anyone who hasnt had any real problems ( i can put up with minor issues like a few sqeaks here an there) but im concerend about buyin a car if its going to be spending days/weeks at the dealers! In that respect i rather spend more on the type r, just for the reliability point of view. Also im not terribly happy with the 2 renault dealers i have been 2.......... whereas the 2 honda dealers have been REALLY helpful...... one had a cup on the forecourt, and he offered me a test drive in it. i didnt even have to ask. (very weird considering im 23, but look about 19!) i went back a week later and he offered me a test drive in the type r..... all i said was "i was considering it!"

I know there has been a lot of comparisions on here between these 2 cars, but both have their good, and bad points.

Clio
More linear power deilvery
Better steering
Feels like u r going quicker!
More toys - climate,leather etc

Type r
VTECH kick! - althou i have a feelin this could become a bit tiresome when ur not in the mood
Better seats
Nice driving position
Excellent gear box
more reliable?!

ok i am expectin a somewot biased response to this, naturally, but i would really like to hear peoples thoughts on this, esp from the reliabilty point of view. I really do like the clio, esp cos it is almost a good 3k cheaper, not to mention cheaper to run and insure, but in the long term i would rather pay out more if i knew it was goin to last me and give me less problems! I am going to try and get a longer test drive in a normal 172, if any dealer will actually get back to me!

cheers all

Mike

how would u define better seats?? myself and my mate both rate my 172 seats as "better than his" there both very supportive but mine i feel more comfortable for those long journeys, the question is what kinda car do u want an all out hell for leather or something still very fast but more refined and "luxurious" clio has extra of leather seats xenon lights auto lights and windscreen wipers better cd player + multi changer all in all many more toys, if u want something more like th ectr maybe try a cup with the climate control pack u then get the rawness of the ctr and just as gooder speed whilst still saving a mighty chunk

Yaris Hybrid

I chose a 182 over the Type R as it was £2k cheaper, far higher spec and in some ways slightly quicker and other ways slightly slower. Also Type Rs tend to be driven by a different type of person to the 182 and frankly if I am going to be stereotyped by bystanders Id prefer to be associated with the 182 group.

I felt that Honda were rippin the pi$$ outta me by not including certain items that are standard on most base model cars let alone the sports model. I do think the Honda is probably better built though.

Also I wouldnt buy either car second hand as this type of car will have been ranted/abused and the Type R is overpriced on the used market and the Clio just falls apart. Only thing is I probably wont get my car for a few months...

Porsche Boxster

hi

thanks for the replys! as with regards to the seats. i guess i just felt that the CTRs seats "hugged" u a bit better....... as for long term comfort, i couldnt really tell you since i have only been in a 172 cup for about 20 mins, and about half an hour in a CTR. still trying to get a test drive in a normal 172!

I can see your point about 2nd hand, but i really couldnt afford a brand new CTR, and i dont know if i could justfy spending £££ on a new clio either, esp when they depreicate so quickly (CTR seems to be holding its value extremely well!!) still id be happy with a car that had a year or so manufactures warrenty, esp with the hondas - ive heard they r veirtually bullet proof, esp if they have a FSH. has anyone here actually owned a 172 without any probelms?

[Edited by Mikey23 on 19 June 2004 at 1:23am]

182, GTR, C63

ive had a cup for a month. Engine is good always willing to pull and get your license taken off you. My choice was the cup instead of a type r more because of insurance purposes than anything else. I prefer to drive on country lanes which the cup is better for. I dont fancy dragging outside maccy ds in a civic. Good in a straighline but you can get better imo. As for reliability the honda is bound to be more reliable but apart from the build quiality been sh*t which i can forgive the engine loves to be hammered. Im not the kind of person who keeps cars for ages i like to change them every year but as the cup was expensive for me been young i might have to keep it 2 years. Not a shame though its a great litlle car and this club is great for meetings and adice. Gives me 2 years to save up for the next beast. Im thinking westfield and a cheep run about or maybe a rally sl*g for a few months just to get it out of my system.

Camel

Had my mrk 1 172 for 6 months now(10k added on clock), apart from the usual knocking noise that sometimes can be heard under heavy acceleration she runs like a dream. Have had her up the Strip a Crail Raceway about 5 times this year give her lots of abuse and nothing has gone wrong, have had golf gtis before the Clio and nothing can match the fun you have behimnd the wheel of the 172. Hope this is some use to you.

Personally Id go with the Clio I dont like having to rev engine all the time plus if would affect the fuel economy, plus the Clios lighter so even better economy.

I cannot think of any serious problem with the 172 which stop people driving them all the time. Biggest problems are rattles from the dash and knokcing sounds fron the front when your hammering it in 1st and second.

£3k is a lot of money for a Type R. Personally I see less 172 than type Rs and so just to be different Id choice a Clio.

The Clio engine is very reliable one but all engines today are realy to be honest. The engiens hould be good for 300k+ and none has yet to have a serious problem with the last geretaion one which needed cooling a bit more the 172/182 engine is better so no problems with milage. Even if the engine does go a new ones £700 or even less Fred of here bought 2 for £600 anf they were turbo ones.

Depreciation wise the Clio should save you abouts £4k Id think is the Civic wont be worth 3k more in the future say 3yrs from now.

get a 172...............XENONS......172 better car in my opinion.I was going to buy a CTR but I didnt. Im 20 now and I was 19 when I bought my sports. And I love him

N8

Yaris Hybrid

For the life of me I will never know how all these 20 year olds I see driving around in new CTRs and 182s can afford it along with the insurance, petrol, rent/housekeeping money, the latest cell phone, holidays to spain, drink, drugs, fags, designer clothes...etc!!!

Some of them have only just started wearing long trousers and yet they appear to be on a salary of 25k a year!!!

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 19 June 2004

For the life of me I will never know how all these 20 year olds I see driving around in new CTRs and 182s can afford it along with the insurance, petrol, rent/housekeeping money, the latest cell phone, holidays to spain, drink, drugs, fags, designer clothes...etc!!!
Most of them live at home and so have all there pay and spend it all on a car.

Or thier car is paid for by rich parents.

Volvo S60 T5

Get a clio its cheaper, goes well, build quality aint as bad as everyone makes out.

Most rattles etc, but as to break downs not many at all with the 172.

If you aint to fussed with a few knocks and rattles(all of which are fairly easy to sort) then Reno all the way.

Mines been real good, no major problems just silly little things, but Im a fussy git and like to make sure my cars spot on.:)

Porsche Boxster

thanks for the replys fellas. oh im so confused! i guess ill just have to take a clio out for a proper spin and make my mind up, but i am really tempted just from a price point of view! I know performace wise there isnt really much in it. i think the CTR will pull a bit @ the top end & probably illegal speeds from some of the posts ive read, but im really not that fussed. 172 is plenty quick enough!

lol @ toypop - i wont say too much as im only 23 and goin back home (just finishin up uni now), but i am payin for the car myself - dont smoke at all, or drink tonnes - its amazing how it all saves up! :)

oh and if anyone wants to buy my car and sell me a well looked after 172 in the next few weeks for around 8k gimmie a shout!

cheers all

Mike

big red bus

standerd top end speed of a CTR is 148mph according to honda.

The 172 is 144 according to edde.

turbo n stuff will cost alot for puttin it on a 172

get the bolt on turbo, few other mods for the CTR !!!!

and as u sed b4, u prefer the driving position ect...

Mini Cooper S sport

Mikey - Ive just bought a year-old 172 in (wait for it..metallic black), and I LOVE IT.

There are no rattles, squeaks or anything else, it goes like s*** off a shovel, and it was CHEAP!

Go for it - you wont regret it.