ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of buying a 172, advice please!

Hello there people, as you can probally tell by my name i currently own a Saxo VTS but please dont hold that against me! Im considering buying a new car soon and the 172/Cup is a contender.

The 172 Cup seems great with 171 bhp per tonne and only £12,995 but no ABS! Sounds damm right scary to me! My old VTR only had 98 bhp but that was a handfull with no ABS.

So the 172 looks a better option, but how fast are they? It says in Evo Mag that their 18.9 secs to 100 mph, seems a tad disappointing to me.

Also, what are the options avaliable? And are 172s refined or do they run really rough?

Many thanks.

320d M Sport

hi mate, go for one of the above for sure. Cup is bit more basic than the 172 (172 has leather + toys etc). Not sure about the 18.9 to 100, id say 16/17 is more like it, my standard 172 ran 14.9 1/4 mile. Not many options available as far as i know?

all i can say is do it you wont regret it, if you are really serious about getting one but have a few concerns then go and test drive both the cup and the 172 at a local dealer they will usually be only too happy to take you out if its a genuine enquiry, the build quality is good for the price IMHO it will never rival a jap or prestige car but is well put together in general and will be better than your saxo (im sure paddymph will tell you this, plus my little bro has a 52 plate vtr and his is has rattles too) go have a test drive you wont be dissapointed they are the best two hothatches under 15k IMO :D

Go for a 172 not the cup unless u want a race track feel, I have the sat nav option fitted to my 172 so I have all the toys. In real life the 172 is just as quick as the cup but makes for a nicer drive because the cup has thinner glass and less sound insulation.

As mentioned the only option when I bought was sat nav.

The only thing stopping me is the £15,995 price tag of the Civic Type-R. What sort of BHP do 172s get on the rollers as standard? My VTS got 102 bhp at the wheels.

They droped the cruise control and traction control because they could not get them to work, so I got my dealer to discount me for them and got a sweet price.

Look at Craggys VTS.. 14.9 1/4 mile.. shockingly quick.

172s BHP varies so much from car to car.. heh, crazy.

320d M Sport

I had 152@ Wheels at one, then 163 at fly at another? Kinda lost faith in RRs!! I think the only true test is to 1/4 mile it, and yeah, build quality is so far ahead of the sh*troen its unreal.

I know Craggy of the SaxoSportsClub, didnt know he got a 14.9!! Thats fantastic for a VTS but he is a hell of a good driver.

I just changed to a 172 mk2 from a mk1 vts, you won regret it, build quality is much better, much nicer interior with loads more gagets to play with, as for speed in my opinion the 172 is quicker, up to 60 it isnt that noticable, maybe coz it is a larger car (and my saxo was lowered so it felt quick) above 60 and overtaking from about 40-80 mph the clio is so much quicker.

Ive only had the clio about 6 weeks but it is a wicked car and excellent value for money! buy one!

jarvisnigel - where are you from? I saw a 172 exclusive in Sheffield a couple of weeks ago. Ah well, a 1 in 172 chance it was you!

i had a mk2 vts b4 my 172,quick car,but the clio handles better,rides 10000% better,as mentioned above noticably faster,especially over 4000 rpm.added bonus it will (probably) do more mpg than the saxo my 172 does 37-38 mpg average.citreon lucky to get 33-34 .

and if you feel like uve missed out not buying the cup,throw your spare wheel out of the boot and drive round with the windows half down...same diff :D

Just swaped a gti-6 for a 172 (pick it up on the 1st of june)the gti had 195 bhp.

only had a test drive ine the 172 (gave it some boot) but seemed just as quick if not quicker (just got to get used to 5 gears again)

im converted

? ahh the cup comment, got a mk1 172 not much weight between it and cup take out back seats,spare tools etc virtually the same.

not knocking the cup if i could have one as a 2nd car id b very tempted,look the biz, but i do too many motorway miles and not enough track ones to forgoe my 6 cd,air con,leather /comedy suede seats and thicker windows and my spare wheel!

Dont start the cup / 172 debate up again!! The last time this kicked-off it went on for ages and the cup boys kept spitting thier dummies out! Youve been warned:sick:

Thanks for the replies! The comment about the VTSs MPG is spot on! When you drive it hard, it drinks juice like a Ferrari!

So according to you lot, a 172 is best, what colour? I have a black VTS and have to clean it every day! Silver is nice.

paddy will say get the red, i have the silver and others like gr and jillyb have the black the blue is the rarest, but its upto you really, looks good in all of them IMO

S2000

I wouldnt dismiss the Cup as quickly. After about 2000/3000 miles, your car is going to be rattling and creaking more than a thing that rattle and creaks a lot, so a little less sound proofing is going to drown that out.

Also 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear in the Cup is noticably faster than the 172, couldnt beleive the difference when I drove my brothers car. The only thing Id miss from the 172 is the Xenon lights.

CTR EK9 turbo

some 172s must be really badly built! mines done almost 30,000 and hardly has any rattles, if any. I think the seat was squeeking for a while, but i just altered the position and that soon stopped. No rattles!? maybe mine was put together properly? (apart from the gear box!)

I agree Simon, the only rattle that I have is the dam exhaust, apart from that just a bit of road noise, the same as you get from every car after 12000miles.

Ralphy_VTS, I dont think youll be disapointed, whatever you choose, Cup or 172 they all look good in all the colours. Just be prepared for a few minnor niggles, but once they are sorted...............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Im amazed about how many people complain about rattles and squeaks! My VTS is a 2001 Y-reg and done 30,000 miles, it has no rattles or squeaks. I thought Clios were much better built than Saxos???

Astra 1.9cdti XP

I have no rattles either, but I have just had the exhaust replaced.

The one big difference between the Saxo and Clio is the amount of room inside! In my old Saxo I could hardly get my legs under the wheel and I always had trouble hitting the right pedal, usually got the brake and accelerator with the same foot at the same time :confused:

Go and test drive one at a local dealer then go and but one from Trade Sales for just over £12k cant go wrong!!

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by Ralphy_VTS on 20 May 2003

Hello there people, as you can probally tell by my name i currently own a Saxo VTS but please dont hold that against me! Im considering buying a new car soon and the 172/Cup is a contender.

The 172 Cup seems great with 171 bhp per tonne and only £12,995 but no ABS! Sounds damm right scary to me! My old VTR only had 98 bhp but that was a handfull with no ABS.

So the 172 looks a better option, but how fast are they? It says in Evo Mag that their 18.9 secs to 100 mph, seems a tad disappointing to me.

Also, what are the options avaliable? And are 172s refined or do they run really rough?

Many thanks.

JUST DO IT!

Lee

BMW M2C

Drive them both Ralphy. I did, and personally prefered the Clio. Im not going to go into detail as it always turns into an argument, but the Civic just isnt a fun every day driver. I spend so much time in traffic and rarely get to give the car a good thrashing. The Civic would never have seen its second cam profile!!

Twice Ive looked at Honda V Tecs over the years, and on both accounts I didnt buy due to the engine (and chassis on the VTi). Maybe Im lazy and prefer the TQ but instead of a Civic VTi a few years back I chose a Pug 306 GTi-6, and this time instead of the Type R I chose the Clio.

You really do need to drive them both, its all down to personal preference.

The Clio never fails to put a grin on my face. The Civic was quick out on an open road, but didnt really feel as quick as the Clio. Could be the rattles ;)

Cup/172, again its whatever you want. I like toys, Ive got used to having a certain level of comfort, which I wont compromise for performance.

As Geordiepaul says, get a test drive and buy from a supermarket like Trade Sales or Motorpoint. You wont regret it :D Unless you get a Friday afternoon car!!!!:eek:

If you have any worries about getting a Cup, just dont get one!

Get a nice 172 in red! It looks classy, you wont look out of place at a cruise or outside a flashy restaurant, but youll look a tw*t in any situation with a CTR. Hehe

-Rob

drive them both, my dad has the civic type r and ive driven it a few times, they are both quick and very capable cars but drive very differently, in terms of the handling and the engine characteristics. the honda is better built of the two but the clio has way more toys. the honda is quicker in a straight line but tbh i wouldnt like to have to say which is quicker through the twisties as it really is to close to call. just have a go in both and see which you prefer thats the only way to know which is the best for you

Lee

BMW M2C

Rob, you do have a point. Shame really.

Everyone I know loves my car, but all said Id obviously be a tw*t had a got the CTR!! Funny thing is, I have a friend who owns one and he drives like one most the time. Everyone loves Clios :D

Whats all this red crap, BLUE is the best colour. Although one passed me this morning going the opposite way and it looks awful when its dirty. Like mine at the monent and I only washed it Sunday :(

http://www.cliosport.net/gallery/clio172/1797-4.jpg

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by 172loony on 21 May 2003

drive them both, my dad has the civic type r and ive driven it a few times, they are both quick and very capable cars but drive very differently, in terms of the handling and the engine characteristics, the honda is better built but the clio has way more toys. the honda is quicker in a straight line but tbh i wouldnt like to have to say which is quicker through the twisties as it really is to close to call. just have a go in both and see which you prefer thats the only way to know which is the best for you
I followed my friend in his the other day. We took some nasty lanes to see how we both faired. For one car to loose the other the driver would need a death wish. On the straights the CTR definately has a slight edge, but not a great deal. He reckoned I was keeping up because my ESP was helping!!! He was impressed when I told him it didnt kick in once :)

Elise/VX220/R26

Just to settle this colour argument once and for all. Monaco blue is the best colour without a doubt. I looked all over for one but couldnt find one so got a black un in the end. Flame red is nice too (looks a lot better on the road than in pics IMO) Dont get a black one cos they are completely impossible to keep clean!

As for the cup/172 chocve I would go for a 172, lets be honest the difference in speed is minimal and the 172 iunterior is luuurvley. I rekon when renault do a bona fide road going race clio the cup might be a bit less desirable so 172 might hold its value better in years to come.