ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of having the 172 cammed up, any opinions?

Focus RS Mk1
Hi all, recently ive decided that me n the mrs are gonna be gettin married.

Now this is something she has wanted for ages so i made a deal, we get married n i get something car related. Now ive trawled piston heads looking for a new car. Ive already done a supercharged saxo track car before so i know the game with this stuff. i really cant find anything than i want for my budget...

Now i was looking at the little GDI package for around £1500 to have my 172 cammed up. Whats the thoughts on this package, worth it?

good power gains? car needs to be driveable every day and most important start first time every time in the mornings! in other words, good cold start map!

What cams do they put in and what sort of power gains are we looking at?

car has a Ktec stealth on at the mo with a panel filter from itg. I want to retain the Cat and want the car to be 100% legal for MOT purposes.

Thanks guys n girls

Sean

Focus RS Mk1
i was looking at that also, but near as makes no difference twice the price.

if i go ITB's then id fit them myself and go for setup at GDI (nearest to me)

my main reason for not going to itb's is ecu related. Ive had bad experiences in the past related to cold starts that i just need something 100% reliable on that side of things...which is why i say cammed up on std ecu (or remapped one)

Focus RS Mk1
lol, well obviously i want it too but with a wedding costing so much and its all for the bride really i said i wanna do this or something along these lines!

172 Cup
The ecu's gdi use now use an ICV to overcome the common cold start issue's associated with aftermarket system's. They have a really good set up now. To say ITB's are no differance is abit off, they make loads more power and shed loads more tourque. The package is good compared to stock, midrange is improved as well as a nice hike in power and driveability. Just cams and remap you are looking at a limited 205bhp with headwork!!

Focus RS Mk1
The ecu's gdi use now use an ICV to overcome the common cold start issue's associated with aftermarket system's. They have a really good set up now. To say ITB's are no differance is abit off, they make loads more power and shed loads more tourque. The package is good compared to stock, midrange is improved as well as a nice hike in power and driveability. Just cams and remap you are looking at a limited 205bhp with headwork!!

never said ITB's are no different to cams. i said...its near as makes no difference twice the price of having it cammed. I know the gains of itbs over stock inlet etc etc

Thats put my mind at rest regarding the ICV. i think id want to see a car start up that was icey cold with my kinda setup id want fitted on it. that would put me right off if it didnt start like it should.

Jamsport are local to me yes and ive used them in the past, would never go back though. there qaulity of work on my car was appauling, thing missing, cars being drivan around to collect the workers lunches etc, mess up with parts, fitting the wrong things...wouldnt go back.

ITB'd MK1
ITB setup doesn't use an idle control valve, cold starts and idle are actually much easier to control on ITBs than with the standard plenum. We've added an ICV to the plenum for the cable throttle conversion. Idle is now normally better than standard

M

mini-valver

Personally, I'd buy the cams direct from Cat or Shrick (Shrick's are slightly more expensive) and take them somewhere to be fitted and mapped. Taking nothing away from any tuners but a proper map is far better than a generic cam/map install.

Ph1
Personally, I'd buy the cams direct from Cat or Shrick (Shrick's are slightly more expensive) and take them somewhere to be fitted and mapped. Taking nothing away from any tuners but a proper map is far better than a generic cam/map install.

Totally agree

M

mini-valver

Standard ecu is fine for 420/8/1's. It needs mapping properly though really. The "packages" offer a generic base map to suit the cams which IMO, is pish.

03 RS clio 172 flameR
im in that boat, i had to agee to take my mrs on holiday just so she would stay quiet during sundays 8 till 9 pm gospel reading on bbc2

Focus RS Mk1
lol, glad you liked the marriage thing! i didnt actually say im doing this or we nor getting married. Just said that when we get married im doing somethin car related. she knows about my previous project and had to endure that so she knows the score with it all.

I like the sound of the gdi package on itb's. fit it myself and off i go :)

Had a nice chat with Andy @ GDI on friday and defo reassured me that its the way to go. wish the whole wedding thing was over n done with then i can get on the blower n order :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Indeed. Buy the cams, word up the Kevs, then tootle up to Leeds. Job done.

RS RIP

I think the Schricks are like 250 pounds more expensive than Cat !? Not slightly more expensive i would say .
Correct me if i'm wrong about the price

Schricks are very good cams, I'm having Colombo & Bariani cams put in mine this week (finally) , also high quality cams. Same price for both, around 600 pounds
I do'nt know about Cat, I heard they're not all that. Poor results were seen but do'nt know which ones (profile) were used when getting these neg results.