ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of selling the 200...

CBR1000RR Fireblade
thats why then. £1000 a month is alot to spend on cars a month!

its just not affordable for most people.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
as joe says and as i said above, you wont save money, you will spend more. ive never been so well off as i was when i first got my dci, the most expensive car ive ever bought, purely because i wasnt modding, was just driving it and enjoying a new car, when you get something old like a 172 you spend half your time on ebay buying s**t for the sake of it

CBR1000RR Fireblade
This will all be outweighed by the fact you're going to spend more than £200 every month first of all making it mint, then keeping it mint, then buying all the extra bits you want such as the Yoz system. So you'll be spending the same money every month, possibly more, but you'll have an older car that you have to MOT and worry about breaking. This makes no sense to me.

Sell the 200 if you genuinely just do not get along with it and would prefer a PH1, but the saving money argument is invalid IMO. Not meaning to sound like a c**t here, but it does just sound like you've already made up your mind and you're just looking for people to now tell you it's a good idea.

how would you spend £200 a month making it mint?

he could buy a mint 172 with the belts and everything already done, own the car instead of leasing it and you could have to spend nothing on it for 12 months (hypothetically)

the saving money argument is very valid. and ill also point out that you are comparing modifying a 172 to just running a 200, which is not the same discussion (which is invalid)

IMO the only way the 200 deal is good is if you plan on keeping the car for ever and ever and ever. which you will have to pay £200 a month for for circa 7 years. if you are handing the 200 back at the end of the lease hire deal you are effectively renting a car for £200 a month.

the 172 will actually be his.

cars cost me £1000 a month,
Thats more than I earn a month, due to being part-time atm, so I wouldn't be spending that much. Insane money tbf. I wish I had that amount of dispensable dollar.
Sell the 200 if you genuinely just do not get along with it and would prefer a PH1, but the saving money argument is invalid IMO.
The one ive seen is in good condition anyway (when looking from afar), apart from a non standard exhaust and it needing a good detail. My priority would be to make it a minter and detail it before winter, then think about changing bits come the summer when the weather allows.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
its a disgusting habit, it sickens me but i cant stop it lol

been there, done that. i once spent £1200 in 3 weeks on my VTS, came back at 137 whp. at the time it was awesome, now i think wow, what a waste of cash

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
You might save £200 a month, but do you have a good 3-4k saved up to buy a 172 outright?

Imo its madness, the mk2's feel soooooooooo old when you've had a mk3. It'll annoy the f**k out of you, it did when i sold my first 197 to go back to a 172 Cup.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
You might save £200 a month, but do you have a good 3-4k saved up to buy a 172 outright?

Imo its madness, the mk2's feel soooooooooo old when you've had a mk3. It'll annoy the f**k out of you, it did when i sold my first 197 to go back to a 172 Cup.

agreed, ive been driving an 11 plate twingo today and it feels no newer than a clio 2 to be honest, and it felt s**t compaired to my car!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Dont get me wrong, i'd have a Mk2 again if i needed to free up some coin as they are fantastic, but day to day, i found my last cup a pain. Heavy clutch/ rattly cabin. The mk3 is a MUCH nicer place to be day to day.... Still thats the problem with the pcp deal, you either need to stump up another 8k next summer, or hand it back and be left with nothing. Be lots of 200's appearing in the summer, so might be time to get rid now?

how would you spend £200 a month making it mint?

he could buy a mint 172 with the belts and everything already done, own the car instead of leasing it and you could have to spend nothing on it for 12 months (hypothetically)

I didn't say £200 making it mint, I said making/keeping it mint and modifying it is going to be more than £200 a month. Hypothetically yes, you could spend nothing on it for 12 months, but that's not going to happen when it's a 10 year old french hatch, it IS going to break at some point.

ill also point out that you are comparing modifying a 172 to just running a 200, which is not the same discussion (which is invalid)

He's already stated he'll be modifying the 172, whereas he doesn't really tinker with the 200 atm and just spends money on running it, so how is it invalid?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I didn't say £200 making it mint, I said making/keeping it mint and modifying it is going to be more than £200 a month. Hypothetically yes, you could spend nothing on it for 12 months, but that's not going to happen when it's a 10 year old french hatch, it IS going to break at some point.

i bought the best one i could, completely mint, full history, all belts done etc. was awesome for 6 months until both handbrake cables snapped, window regulator failed, alternator failed, aux belt idler failed and then the battery!!

its all well saying buy the best, but its still 10yr old!

its alright pulling the best looking bird you can, she can still get fat in 6 months ha

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
did the door handle break too? i cant remember hahaha

EDIT: ohh f**k aye it locked me out at a CS meet didnt it and i had to get in the passengers side! i knew there was a reason i got colour coded ones!

racing blue 200 cup
so why dont you buy yourself a micra and loads of stickers and drive it like a nursing home escapee.youll get loads of miles to the gallon.or why not just shoot yourself in the face instead.keep the 200 .jesus!

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
I miss my 182 for the same reasons as you do Paul.
But Id never sell/hand back the 200 for those reasons.

Im at different point in my life now and the 200 is perfect for it.
When I was a student 12 month ago I loved not going into uni due to the calipers seizing in the snow on the 182. Blowing my student loan on BTB's and Maxogens. Hitting it with the rotary at my girlfriends house as my parents thought I was in a dissertation lecture. It was great.

Although now Im in a position where I have an excellent car I can rely on and enjoy when ever I like. Yes I do miss having the drive way time but I know I don't have it now. As I have a job, and people rely on me 24/7.

I do really want my 200 on coilovers though....

I do get peoples points about not actually owning the car but it could be looked at it way more ways then that. It makes great sense to have a 200 in this manner. Id say some one was way more stupid to buy a 200 brand new with cold cash then on a pcp deal. I plan on re-financing at the end of contract for another 2 years then il pay the balloon payment as it will be highly affordable to me then Il own a great 4 year old car with only I as the owner.

Im with Gouldy on the second car situation though. Im looking for another hobby car though as apposed to some thing midweek.

I washed the car yesterday. Looking at it made me think "why on earth am I wanting to sell this?!". It really is an awesome car.

Im kinda torn atm. Keep it and buy a bicycle, so that I can cycle to work etc, then use the 200 less, meaning that it will feel alot better/fun to me, or sell up and buy a bicycle (it would be hard, but I managed to live without a car for 3 months this time last year. Im sure I could manage the same again), or sell and buy the Sunflower.

Right another silly idea has popped into my head regarding this...

Its something i've mentioned before, but do my CBT and get a moped. Sell the 200 in the meantime and then wait until after winter to get myself a little Mk2 project for the summer?
It'd be cheap 'motoring', although not that pleasant over the cold months (still able to drive them in really crap weather??! - aslong as its safe to do so, it wouldn't bother me doing 3-4 miles to and from work everyday) and it'd most likely save me a fortune in the short term.
As much as I want to keep the 200, theres a part that knows its costing me too much, theres another that wants a Mk2 again and the other part that thinks that I don't need a car anyway.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I rode a bike over winter before I passed my car test (125).

Dangerous tbh, despite what hard core bikers say.

Bikes are awesome, but only on dry sunny days/evenings imo

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
s**t idea dude, won't work!

Just flog it now and get a 1*2!

I rode a bike over winter before I passed my car test (125).

Dangerous tbh, despite what hard core bikers say.

Bikes are awesome, but only on dry sunny days/evenings imo
I've always wanted a bike, so doing it whilst I don't really need a car that much is ideal. I was planning on buying a push bike to go to work, to save on costs. I had one last year whilst the 200 was on order. Rode through rain, snow, ice, everything. Didn't bother me. Quite enjoyed it tbh.
More dangerous/difficult to control than riding a push bike? (may be a properly retarded question here, but im knackered so bear with me).
s**t idea dude, won't work!
Just flog it now and get a 1*2!
The only issue i'm finding is seeing a decent 1*2 for the right price tbh. (Still got to chase up the owner of the Sunflower though)

Oh and obviously finding a buyer for mine, which will probably be the hardest thing. With the moped idea though, i'd be able to just sell back to a dealership hopefully and it'd pretty much cover all costs, whereas going back down to a 1*2 wouldn't. It would then mean that I wouldn't have to rush into buying a 1*2 and I could wait until the right one came along.

To add, this past week, i've done 60 miles.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Push bike is a lot safer, as your going a lot slower, and won't spin the back wheel and go over.

Watching people ride mopeds on slippery surfaces is one of the funniest things ever though lol

Discounted 1*2 parts
125 bike is the way forwad for saving money but I'll be garaging mine over the icey period. I can deal with cold, rain and wind but when the roads get icey thats when a car comes into its own.

As said before in an old thread of yours the costs of getting up and running on a bike can be recouped so quickly in the money you save.

DB.

BMW 440i
As the title says, im seriously considering selling the 200 at the moment. :S

Although I love it to bits, the car is truly amazing, and it's the best i've ever owned, something just isn't clicking. I think it's partially the fact that I don't actually own the car?!

I don't seem to have joy in cleaning the car, like I have with all my previous cars (even though it is still uber clean tbf).

I'm being too much of a 'MPG *****' aswell, due to fuel costs. With my 172, I could go for a blast and still get really good mpg, without worrying about using too much fuel etc, whereas if I drive the 200 slightly hard (i've never ragged the car at all) I worry too much about how much fuel its going to drink.

I think another reason that im not 'clicking' with the car is because I can't tinker with it. Im one of these people that likes to do stuff to my cars to keep my interest, even if it is as small as adding a sticker or even having to repair things. I feel I can't do this in the 200, due to the warranty issues and massive costs to do anything 'good'.

The other point is that now im working, rather than being a dirty student, I feel like im blowing £200 p/m on a car that im not seeing the full benefits of. If I was tracking it or driving enthusiastically everywhere, id accept it, as its soo much fun when you drive it properly, but as it is just a daily driver to the gym/work/missus, I dont really see these benefits. Swapping for another ph2 would get me out of these monthly costs again.

Lastly, me and the missus have just been camping for the week. I left the car at her house and she has driven everywhere. When we did this when I had the 172, I was constantly thinking about it and whether it was alright etc, whereas I haven't given the 200 a second thought this past week. :S Just makes me think.

Making an offer on the Sunflower Ph1 in my village is looking more and more appealing...

This is how i felt with the 182. I didn't give a s**t about it. Never cleaned it either, didnt care too much about mpg as it was quite good on that.

Now in the golf, i love it again, very careful, always look back when i walk off, care where i park etc.

Said this before mate, come have a drive of my phase 1 before you do anything then you'll know what you'll be missing.

I had a 50cc Moped before I learnt to drive and went everywhere on it, in all weather so it is possible but as has already been pointed out, its miserable when its cold, wet and windy.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Personally, at £200 a month, for a brand new car, with warranty, id think you'd be mad to get rid of prior to the end of your agreement - its such an awesome deal imho!!! I would have done it if i havent just got a loan out for my Trophy ... oh, & if the mileage limit wasnt soo gay ...

I know what you mean about not being able to tinker with things though. Thats why i always buy cars that need a bit of work, keeps me occupied.

125 bike is the way forwad for saving money but I'll be garaging mine over the icey period. I can deal with cold, rain and wind but when the roads get icey thats when a car comes into its own.
As said before in an old thread of yours the costs of getting up and running on a bike can be recouped so quickly in the money you save.
That's a point i've been thinking about heavily. Cost.

As i'm only part time, owning the 200 takes up about 60-70% of my basic monthly wage (before I do any extra shifts etc). 90%+ of my miles are to and from work. So basically, I look at this as im spending that percentage of my earnings to actually get to work. Seems silly in that sense, especially as I live so close.
I probably end up with about 10% left over from my basic, after all my bills etc, which means that I can't really afford to do anything.
Doing this silly idea of mine will mean that I put away around 60% of my basic wages per month. I can then save up and wait until the perfect 1*2 turns up.

Although it is awesome, theres a time where I need to draw the line on expenditure, as I actually want to build up my savings.

Said this before mate, come have a drive of my phase 1 before you do anything then you'll know what you'll be missing.

I had a 50cc Moped before I learnt to drive and went everywhere on it, in all weather so it is possible but as has already been pointed out, its miserable when its cold, wet and windy.
Ill have to take you up on that offer mate.

Thing is, I did it last year in the worst possible weather on my push bike, so riding around in winter doesn't bother me. I actually enjoyed cycling around in the cold.
Did you cope alright with ice, snow etc?

Clio RS200 GW
As the title says, im seriously considering selling the 200 at the moment. :S

Although I love it to bits, the car is truly amazing, and it's the best i've ever owned, something just isn't clicking. I think it's partially the fact that I don't actually own the car?!

I don't seem to have joy in cleaning the car, like I have with all my previous cars (even though it is still uber clean tbf).

I'm being too much of a 'MPG *****' aswell, due to fuel costs. With my 172, I could go for a blast and still get really good mpg, without worrying about using too much fuel etc, whereas if I drive the 200 slightly hard (i've never ragged the car at all) I worry too much about how much fuel its going to drink.

I think another reason that im not 'clicking' with the car is because I can't tinker with it. Im one of these people that likes to do stuff to my cars to keep my interest, even if it is as small as adding a sticker or even having to repair things. I feel I can't do this in the 200, due to the warranty issues and massive costs to do anything 'good'.

The other point is that now im working, rather than being a dirty student, I feel like im blowing £200 p/m on a car that im not seeing the full benefits of. If I was tracking it or driving enthusiastically everywhere, id accept it, as its soo much fun when you drive it properly, but as it is just a daily driver to the gym/work/missus, I dont really see these benefits. Swapping for another ph2 would get me out of these monthly costs again.

Lastly, me and the missus have just been camping for the week. I left the car at her house and she has driven everywhere. When we did this when I had the 172, I was constantly thinking about it and whether it was alright etc, whereas I haven't given the 200 a second thought this past week. :S Just makes me think.

Making an offer on the Sunflower Ph1 in my village is looking more and more appealing...

DONT DO IT THE FEELING WILL PASS SO WHAT IF EATS JUICE IF YOU WANT A MPG CAR YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE BOUGHT IT !! READ UP