ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of selling the williams, what are 197's like to live with

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
...f**k me £55m it cost me 70+ to fill it up the other month

Anyway, i've not had to replace anything other than consumables on both my 197's.

I'd only ever go back to a MK2 for financial reasons tbh, they really feel historic compared to the Mk3

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Agreed. You bought a 2ltr hot hatch, and your moaning about petrol. f**k off and buy a prius or diesel if you want economy.

But you wouldnt want to trackday a prius.

If people are in a situation where they can only really afford to have one car, then every extra couple of K that they spend on fuel and maintaince for commuting, is a few less trackdays per year they can do.

Given the choice of doing 10 trackdays a year in a 172, or 4 in a 197, and both costing the same when added to 20K miles of commuting which is boring in both, I think I'd sooner do the 10, lol

But you wouldnt want to trackday a prius.

If people are in a situation where they can only really afford to have one car, then every extra couple of K that they spend on fuel and maintaince for commuting, is a few less trackdays per year they can do.

Given the choice of doing 10 trackdays a year in a 172, or 4 in a 197, and both costing the same when added to 20K miles of commuting which is boring in both, I think I'd sooner do the 10, lol

But surely if your thinking about tracking a car, your last worries are the MPG? Or do people lift off early/change gear sooner when racing

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
But surely if your thinking about tracking a car, your last worries are the MPG? Or do people lift off early/change gear sooner when racing

Lets say you use your car for:
30K road miles
10 trackdays

MPG during the trackdays isnt going to matter, and no of course you wont be trying to drive economically on track, but if you can save 20% off the 5000 pound fuel bill and save another 1000 quid off the maintainance and tyres by driving a 182 instead of a 197 then thats an extra week holiday at the ring or an extra 4 or 5 trackdays you just managed to save the money for.

Obviously if you have an excess of money, none of this is a concern and you dont have to weigh up that every pound you waste commuting is a pound less for trackdays, but few people on here are in that situation.

2LTR 16V TURBO CLIO!
Steve mate don't do it!

Pm/tx me what you want for it id love it back shame it's no longer a turbo tho. Have you got any of the old kit?

The problem is the box may not be quite as strong as some other manufacturers which can stand up to ejits that cant drive, the renault box wont last great if you are one of these ejits.

learn to heel and toe and you wont kill boxes, i stand by this statement and have done for years, ive yet to kill a gearbox in well over 100K hard hard miles in Clios and dont know anyone thats destroyed a box in one yet who i know heel and toe on a daily basis and these are all cars that are spanked round tracks regularly!

Yes because no-one who has had a gearbox issue knows how to heel and toe.....? dear me. Stop trying to make yourself sound superior...there is the possibility that a failure can be due to a fault, as evidenced by the fact that they've since changed the synchromesh on newer boxes...

My crunch was only on upshift into 4th despite employing heel and toe on downshifts...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
im not trying to make myself sound superior, ive said it before ill say it again, mechanical sympathy goes a long way. if more tried it, renault wouldnt be changing so many boxes. why do you think the new RS is going for a dual clutch auto, to stop all the ejits trying to do fast and furious gear shifts and killing boxes!

id put a tenner on it being a roumour that they changed the syncros on the newer boxes and not actual fact.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol @ thinking its acceptable for a modern box to have such piss poor synchros you need to heal and toe going to the shops and back.

All it should require is not smashing the gear lever about stupidly quickly IMHO. If it still fails then its a bad box end of.

Lol @ thinking its acceptable for a modern box to have such piss poor synchros you need to heal and toe going to the shops and back.

All it should require is not smashing the gear lever about stupidly quickly IMHO. If it still fails then its a bad box end of.

+1

This to be honest.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
of course you dont have to heel and toe it on your daily drive to the shops, im talking about performance driving, its part of owning a performance car, you wouldnt be driving to the shift beep when the engines stone cold, or hammering it over speed bumps, or wheelspinning everywhere as its not good for the car, so if you avoid all these things to protect it then why wouldnt you avoid high rpm downshifts without rev matching? Because it isnt foing to do your gearbox or engine/exhaust mounts any good at all...