ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

This whole CV boot / Driveshaft thing

Naples Red clio 16v
I know it has probably been asked a million times, but i had a 20 point check done by renault on my valver (foc) and they noted that one cv boot was cracked and one leaking grease. for a technically inept person like me, what does this mean?

How bad is it? What are the consequences of leaving it? how much will it cost to fix/replace the boots and or fix/replace the shafts if necessary? (roughly)

Have a service coming up so will get it looked at and done there. What iam i looking at worst case scenario if i had to replace the shafts (parts cost)?

Anyone recommend a decent and reputable to get my car serviced in surrey (i am based in Epsom and going nowhere near Wilsons Renault for anything that is going to cost me money!)

This clio ownership lark is getting expensive.

Cheers all.

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
4zb4.jpg

thats an outer.

if you leave it too long, it will start making noises + damage the cv, resulting in new drivw shafts

RS Clio 200
i had mine go not long ago, although that was a result of age, and a large part due to me enjoying Abbeville too much.

Dont think its that bigger repair, cant give yo a figure cos i had it done at the same time as my cambelt, sump gasket and aux belt.... but i wouldnt worry about the cost of it

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
driveshafts for valvers from GSF are £62.50.

CV boots kits are less than a tenner, so do it quick, not at Renau£t though

ex Clio 172 owner :(
My local garage did the cv boot on my car for £30.

I had one fail on my old VTS twice. £30 each time too at a different garage.

Naples Red clio 16v
when you have your car serviced is there a big mark up on parts? wanna know if i should get the bits and just get a guy to fit them.

Any thoughts?

ex Clio 172 owner :(
A cv boot kit basically comprises the rubber boot and two clips to hold it in place. Also they pack the cv boot with grease.

Wouldn't expect much mark up really. I'd expect £20-40 depending where you go. Phone a few places up. You could probably double the cost at Renault though.

Valver
Well you have to at least swing the hub out the way to do the gaitor no way you can do it on the car, can be botched with superglue if its only a small hole sometimes you have to take the shaft off to do it...

Valver
PS No way anyone would do one on a renault for £30 less its mates-rates.

Which side is gone? I know on the passenger side to do the outer you have to take the shaft out which means draining the gearbox oil then take the inner boot off so you can slide the outer one on.