ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thought I would try a bit of Italian

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Bit of a random purchase to be honest, a good friend of mine had one of his cars on ebay, I know the car well and know the full history of it, I was stood is pets at home when with 5 seconds left when I thought why not, whacked a bid in and ended up winning it so I now own this thing:

26773389839_715e1a5702_z.jpg
advert 1
by Paul Morgan, on Flickr

38517577482_032425973a_z.jpg
Advert 2

26773390689_f7db452ee6_z.jpg
advert 4

38517578332_2d3ce93d48_z.jpg
advert 5

The above pictures are from the advert, if you know these cars you will notice what a massive spec it is, you will also probably realise that it is originally a normal grande punto, the car has had the full abarth treatment though....this also meant it was a bit of a bargain compared to the lower spec real thing.

I picked it up last Saturday and took it to Somerset for a few days at the end of the week, here are some dirty shots I got of it:

37832975284_1a95e1707f_z.jpg
IMG_9720

37661283475_38242e4b2c_z.jpg
IMG_9721

38517501702_098b87fcd7_z.jpg
IMG_9725

24676941048_837e83bf96_z.jpg
IMG_9726

38517545682_1af9384117_z.jpg
IMG_9728

First thoughts are that I like it much more than I expected to, it makes great noises and is a really nice motorway cruiser, it doesn't corner as well as the clio but I find myself feeling much more relaxed driving it, it's also a lot better built than I expected.

Plans are to swap the plates over to normal ones as it currently has pressed ones on that I'm not a massive fan of, give it a good service and detail, refurb the wheels and replace the side skirts as they are pulling away slightly and then my girlfriend is going to use it.

The good news is that he gave me a boot full of spares, everything from 3 sideskirts, 2 arch extensions to injectors, fixings/ bolts and even a spare handbrake, 3 boxes full of stuff.

Cheers!

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Keep an eye on the gearbox buddy my mate went through two in no time at all, luckily all under warranty!

I've read that they seem to be a bit problematic, luckily it won't be getting abused much so fingers crossed it hangs on, if we have any major issues it will just get broken for parts :smile:

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
I've always liked these grande punto's. I like the smooth no fuss shape and the abarth ones manage to look sporty without adding too much clutter.

Civic type r fk8
Nice one like it ,so much better than the 500.I test drove one when they came out but couldn't afford it,I had a grande Punto sporting 130bhp diesel instead with a tuning box on it and had the Speedo needle off the clock ! ,Was a great car.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Looks Good, I like it.

Are they cheap?

They are usually quite expensive for what they are and I personally wouldn’t pay the full premium for one, this one saying Fiat on the log book meant I got it for 3k which when you add the parts cost up is a bargain, only 47k on the clock too :)

Got to be honest.

I really no likey. Sorry dude.

Well that settles it, up for sale it goes haha!

So is this a rep? Or can you make a grande punto into an abarth with bolt on parts? I know nothing of them but do love the looks.

All bolt on bits and the engine drops straight in, i’ll post the spec when I get home, in essence it is still a ‘rep’ though, because of that I actually got kicked off the abarth punto group on facebook which was funny!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
They are usually quite expensive for what they are and I personally wouldn’t pay the full premium for one, this one saying Fiat on the log book meant I got it for 3k which when you add the parts cost up is a bargain, only 47k on the clock too :smile:

Well that settles it, up for sale it goes haha!

All bolt on bits and the engine drops straight in, i’ll post the spec when I get home, in essence it is still a ‘rep’ though, because of that I actually got kicked off the abarth punto group on facebook which was funny!

Flol! I thought clio owners were bad!

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I like an Abarth Punto. One of those cars that I'd like to own, though not sure I will ever get the chance. Hilarious that you got rejected by the club, how ridiculous. If you've got essentially the same car for less money, good luck to you. I think these are a great looking thing.

Swift Sport
They kicked you off for owning a rep that's identical to the genuine article!? Hilarious! It's a Punto ffs, they should be glad of another like-minded enthusiast!
Forum and clubs are funny places, I remember my brother saying the MR2 owners club were a bunch of weirdo's too!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I love the seats they look really good.
If like you say your going to detail it and make it all nice and clean I would be tempted to get rid of the stickers.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
2FF50158-8479-44A6-A837-56C847BDCC12.png 1BBA21BC-DF42-42B0-9879-E39C96A83AC4.jpeg F236A26D-C269-4297-B164-B96EB4B0848D.png
They kicked you off for owning a rep that's identical to the genuine article!? Hilarious! It's a Punto ffs, they should be glad of another like-minded enthusiast!
Forum and clubs are funny places, I remember my brother saying the MR2 owners club were a bunch of weirdo's too!

Sadly yes that is true which went down to a lot of laughs amongst my close ‘car’ friends haha!

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
I love the seats they look really good.
If like you say your going to detail it and make it all nice and clean I would be tempted to get rid of the stickers.

I’m still undecided on the stickers, part of me likes them whereas the other part likes clean simple cars so is tempted by your route.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
View attachment 1345848 View attachment 1345849 View attachment 1345850

Sadly yes that is true which went down to a lot of laughs amongst my close ‘car’ friends haha!

While I'm not on Facebook, this would make me want to encourage all of my friends to post pictures of base model Puntos on their page, claiming they're Abarths. What a bunch of prats. Why on earth does it matter what it says on the logbook? It's not like it's a classic Ferrari or something. The Punto Abarth group can't be the biggest ever, they should be glad of the members.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Lance Litherland sounds like a right laugh. I want to go to their Xmas party! Should I buy a grande punto abarth or an abarth punto EVO to get an invite?
It sounds like Fiat, s**t sorry I meant Abarth, made it hard enough by making loads of difference models and option packs for the Lance to keep up with. No wonder he doesn't want punto replicas in his nudgers circle.
If you bought an Abarth and made it into a punto rep could you get in the club then.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I like these there's been round here for years.

Actually I tried searching for 500 Abarth's earlier... but can't work out to do it on AutoTrader. Under 500, Abarth isn't available as a model variant, and if you go straight for Abarth as the initial model, you only get 2 retro cars as a result. Weird.

White APE
I like these there's been round here for years.

Actually I tried searching for 500 Abarth's earlier... but can't work out to do it on AutoTrader. Under 500, Abarth isn't available as a model variant, and if you go straight for Abarth as the initial model, you only get 2 retro cars as a result. Weird.

7924771a8a39ce9aefc6789f3f6b5917.jpg

bca38b8551c8d6dbe3e9b1dc1f6644cf.jpg

I love the Abarth 500 but I just couldn’t own one. Far too small I think.

2014 Clio 200t edc
THats awesome! How much abarth stuff is on it? The engine isn’t far off the same apart from the turbo etc.
Love the seats. Miss mine a lot as it was great fun to drive and didn’t look like anything special.
Also lol at the bookface group saddo’s throwing you off. It looks better than some genuine abarths out there!

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
THats awesome! How much abarth stuff is on it? The engine isn’t far off the same apart from the turbo etc.
Love the seats. Miss mine a lot as it was great fun to drive and didn’t look like anything special.
Also lol at the bookface group saddo’s throwing you off. It looks better than some genuine abarths out there!

The ebay advert is here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Gra...M%2BgK7bziSHpPFcrJ6sg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

That has the full spec list which as you can see puts it up there with the highest spec 'real ones' :)

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Thought I would update this.

I have been trying so sell the car along with my FN2 but I'm not getting anywhere so it looks like its staying for a while longer.

It's now on 61k, has been relatively easy to live with tbh, it has a couple of vibrations inside I need to look into but other than consumables it has been pretty reliable.

I gave it a good detail recently and I'm off to pick up some smaller wheels for it on Sunday, putting a set of the punto evo claws on which are 17's rather than these 18's.

I have recently given the wheels a DIY refurb to change them from white as it was a nightmare to live with but it's now tyre time so makes sense to go down a size as I have been planning it for a while, I find the 18's are just a bit too big even though everyone goes mad for the essesse wheels.

I also want to replace the side skirts, I have a brand new set luckily to go on. I say luckily as I had to replace the front passenger side arch trim after I lost it and that was an extortionate price for half a circle of plastic!

My girlfriend is using the car as a runabout so it only does about 5 miles a day during the week, which is handy as the seats are still mega uncomfy 😅.

Attachments

• IMG_20200607_153456_062.jpg
    IMG_20200607_153456_062.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20200607_150722-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200607_150722-01.jpeg
    814.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20200607_151005-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200607_151005-01.jpeg
    884.7 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20200607_150949-01.jpeg
    IMG_20200607_150949-01.jpeg