ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thoughts on this 182 for sale

2001 Clio 172
Howdy from New Zealand,

http://www.turners.co.nz/Vehicles/Pages/Car.aspx?RefId=851782

Anyway, this 182 has come up at our local auction house. These come up very very very very rarely down here so its quite exciting. My old man has been racing old stuff for about 40 years mainly Ginettas and Lotus' of various shapes however when he took my 172 for a strop at the track the other day he fell in love! : ) He is very interested in this one to turn into a road/track car and I was wondering if anyone here is able to look over the photos and details and see if anything sticks out as being wrong or strange etc etc. We assume it needs a cambelt etc at those kms but we have not been able to look at the books yet.
It also appears to have been a repo which can be good or very bad ie maintenance.
Im assuming its just a full fat and not a cup by the specs? Hopefully would be able to get it for NZD$7000 or about 3300 pounds

Any wisdom from the northern hemisphere would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Rob

Suzuki Jimny
Car doesn't look too bad. I would be going for something jap though considering the availability of them etc.

O/T Which part of Auckland do you live? I lived on the north shore for 8 years :)

2001 Clio 172
Ah ok so its a 172 not a 182. Cheers! Silly question but how can you tell? I have phase 1 172 so these phase 2's are new to me.

Yea the filter and exhaust stick out like a sore thumb but that can all be removed and replaced no problem. Just gotta look at the books asap

Mountune Tractor
Yeah thats a monaco blue standard ph 2 172. Wheels aren't standard either. If they are that rare it might be worth taking a chance on it.

Welcome from NZ btw!

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
wheels are off a Laguna i think. car looks some what ok, but the air intake and exhaust needs to defo go, make it look riced up

172 Cup
Theres something bothering me about that bonnet, the drivers side appears to have quiet a gap, mainly round the headlight. Compare the two front end pictures, could just be the camera angel. Got a hunch it may of been in a front ended smash at some point. so have a good look round it for inconsistant panel gaps would be my advice.

Clio v6
Might be nothing really but the VIN number shown in that advert. Has different info according to Renault.

Registration number
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
bloc_filet.gif
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
BTZ519
Clio II 3dr | 3 RSP20 96 | CB15 | Methyl blue bodywork paint

Vehicle identification number (VIN)
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
bloc_filet.gif
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
VF1CB150G25368963
Date of manufacture
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
bloc_filet.gif
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
1x1.gif
09 2001

racing blue 182
front end defo looks a bit off like lol

bolt on stuff can be removed easy id check that reg thing out also

2001 Clio 172
Cheers for the words of wisdom guys. The car is defo a 2004 nz new car sold new here. I see what u mean by the gap in the bonnet! The wheels really had me confused too as I didn't recognize them at all. As a trackday toy it could be a goer but we are yet to view it in the flesh. Hopefully we can in a day or two and I will let you all know any more goss about it's history and condition.

Westy. MX5
We can't comment on the price as the car market if different over in NZ. If you and dad are just using it as a track car then it don't matter about the wheels, bonnet gap or the cam belt not being done, dad will see to that of course. See how much you bargain on the price. Do they have race tracks in NZ, I haven't heard of any myself?

2001 Clio 172
Yep we have plenty of race tracks. Pukekohe is the most famous. Ran the Tasman series in the 60's and recently the Aussie v8 supercars. Then there is Hampton downs which has just been built, ruapuna, levels, teratonga and taupo. Not a bad number of tracks for a country of 4 million ; p