ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Three Signal

6/468 17poo
Debating whether to join mobile operater 3, but everyone I know is on 02/Orange 'The One' Plan sim only looks great

Could anyone recommend them or share their signal views/quality?

Clio 182
Also interested in this... unlimited data with tethering, plus free upgrade to 4G when their network goes live.

Also one thing to note, Three is the only UK operator (I think) with 3.5G activated, so their 3G speeds are comparable to EE's 4G speeds in some areas.

I'm on Three and for the majority of the time I get really strong signal and it's fast. But there's some areas where I get NO signal at all compared to friends on other networks which is a bit annoying and inconvenient.

172 Cup
I have just left Three as I didnt get signal at home or at work so my phone was basically useless! Even though the Three converage checker said I would get signal in these areas.

Orange, Virgin, T-Mobile, and EE all share signal towers now so might be best to go with one of them. Im on Virgin now and signal is much better.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
The best thing to do is go to each company's website and use their signal-checker tool to ensure they have good coverage in the area where you spend the most time / need your phone most.

If it's all much of a muchness then check out Vodafone as their 4G service is being rolled out across the UK and their 4G tariffs are good, and offer Spotify / Sky Sports bonus content for free.

You also get a bonus 4GB of data every month for free, on top of the data that already comes with each of the plans.

Last edited:
I would advise against 3 at the moment, I was with 3 for 2 years up until last year, but the signal was degrading pretty quickly over the course of my contract.

The other half is on 3, and doesn't have signal half the time so I won't be going back again - though I also put it down to the shitness of the iphone.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The best thing to do is go to each company's website and use their signal-checker tool to ensure they have good coverage in the area where you spend the most time / need your phone most.

If it's all much of a muchness then check out Vodafone as their 4G service is being rolled out across the UK and their 4G tariffs are good, and offer Spotify / Sky Sports bonus content for free.

You also get a bonus 4GB of data every month for free, on top of the data that already comes with each of the plans.

This to be honest, Three's 'One Plan' is really good value, they won't have seperate 4G contracts and they've started offering free calls when you're roaming to certain countries. But none of that matters if you don't get any signal at home or work.

I'm on Three and have had no problems at all, although the internet has gone dead a couple of times and have had to restart the cell connection (turn airplane mode on and off or phone restart)

Euan94

ClioSport Club Member
  Volvo C30
I'm with three and haven't really noticed much differance in signal compared to when I was with Tesco tbh.

I regularly see 28mb over 3G when I have good signal.

Clio Trophy
Three use a different frequency to all the other operators. This is fine except this higher frequency of 2.1GHz is attenuated more inside buildings.
I have been with 3 for 7 years and find the service vs price excellent. In fact, I just got an email telling me that I will receive 4G service starting in December for no extra cost or change of contract.... So unlimited 4G will be snug plus.
The only gripe I have had is when I moved to current house, had to go outside to answer phone due to bad signal inside. Simply requested a Homesignal Fermocell off 3 and ever since get full signal in the house.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I am with three now, and have been for a year. I had tried them in the past and been very disappointed, but now I am happier than ever.

I get great signal now, seems to have improved recently if anything, and unlimited tethering on the one plan is great. I was using it today and getting a solid 8Mbps, I can easily see 20Mbps at home using it too. I don't even have wifi turned on with my iPhone anymore as it's that good.

I'm very happy, it's a bargain for £15 a month!

The signal checker is ok, but to really find out if you will get a good signal at home or work, the best thing is to order a free pay as you go SIM and try it out. That's what I did. One from Three and one from EE

I used to think Three were bad for signal but I was surprised when I moved to them. The one plan is amazing. It's so great being able to watch sky and youtube for as long as I want and never having to worry about it. You either get 3G data or nothing. It's not like O2 where you get 3G or very slow internet (which is pretty useless anyway).

Golf GTi Mk2
3 are starting to roll out their 4G service soon which will come at no extra cost. Also got a text yesterday saying I cab use my phone in 7 countries, including Australia, for no extra charges for calls or data. Never had an issue with signal but accept that others suffer badly with no reception.

6/468 17poo
Think I will give them a months trial as the 02 contracts are terrible more expensive then the pay monthly contracts!!

3 used to use Orange and T-Mobile for signal, since they've been spending bare dollars on their own network they've been withdrawing support from 3rd party providers - hence why over the last year a lot of people may have noticed signal reductions.
I work in a phone shop... I get lots of feedback.

3's network is good. If you have signal, you have 3G (hence the name...) Which is amazeballs. End of.

Other company you could consider for data is T-Mobile as they do unlimited too. EEs network (at least around here and everywhere I seem to go) is fantastic. So much so that I'll probably go with them once my O2 contract is up as my friend on EE has always got 3G signal wherever he goes. Makes me jealous.

Plus don't forget they've totally abolished roaming charges in several countries which is nothing to turn your nose up at.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
There is also a European directive to abolish roaming fees in a few years too :)

Can't wait to switch from Vodafone, absolute s**te network. GF is on EE and has great signal (3G or H) about 90% of the time. So I'll be going there or to Three.

6/468 17poo
Im slowly losing the will with 02, the sim only deals they are offering are awful! So much so that there 'refresh' contracts are cheaper for the same data/minutes/text £10 difference in many cases...