ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

throttle cable in mk1 172

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Anyone ever snapped one or come close to snapping one?

on the weekend my throttle became sticky and kept getting stuck at about 4000rpm.

checked the cable and its all frayed at the pedal...only 2 threads connecting it to the pedal...

How much to replce the cable? is it an easy job to do myself, what tools would I need, and how much skin can i expect to lose in the process?

Thanks guys

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yup, that mk1 Ive done the trackdays in had the throttle cable snap a few weeks ago...

Got the dealer to do it though!

Nothing major and wont take too long, any normal tool kit will suffice.

cable

77 00 815 667 CABLE ASS C2 9.82 ---3 x 1

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

aaah, yeah ,well Ive been doing track days at least one a month along with the usual assortment of gymkhanas etc and when the cable got stuck I was halfway through an advanced driving course:D

Thanks Rich & Ben.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Well I got the cable...35 quid later

And I took a look at installing it myself, but only got as far as disconnecting the cable from the loud pedal when I started wondering just what exactly I was doing.

Is there an easy way of feeding the cable from the pedal to the engine or the otherway round...Im gonna see if the cable will hold till Saturday when Ill have enough time to give the job a bash..

So...if you have a "Howto replace a 172 throttle cable" Ill be very happy

Ta

Responded to your other thread.. anyway, cable should be £13, thats what I paid the other week. It really is not that easy on the 172 (compared to any other Clio) as clearance down the back to the bulkhead is real tight and you can not just feed it through as it is clipped to the bulkhead in a couple of places. Need to undo the bulkhead soundproofing and the bulkhead metal panel (10mm bolts), you can just about get your hand down to un clip it from the bulkhead then. Remove or pull back the wheel arch liner to get access to where the cable needs to go through the bulkhead behind the pedals. Take off the trim panel behind the throttle pedal. If you do all that you can drop the cable down the bulkhead, clip it in, then feed the cable end through the grommet behind the pedal, clip it at both ends and thats it. PM me if you need to know more.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

there is a little flap in the wheel arch liner that you can lift up(covers up an access hole)and see where the cable goes through the bulkhead.the cable clips to a bracket underneath the brake master cylinder and goes across the bulkhead behind some heatsheilds.see brynos above post because hes about summed it up.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

Thanks BrynO...

Fitted the T/C this weekend...like you said, quite easy, just a really tight squeeze

Tools used.

1x needle nosed pliers
1x 10mm Socket wrench
1x wheel spanner
1x double jointed 5yr old;)

Thanks for the guidance