ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tie Rod Removal tool?

Trophy Turbo :)
Chaps.

Do Renault supply a tool to remove the tie rods ( Drum sticks ) off a clio 172, its certainly not a job for the masshoove 32mm spanner i have as its a little tight in there, or what do you use? as i resulted to mole grips! :(

Andy

330i. E30 Touring.
32mm Crows foot. Bit grinded off to make it thinner.

Either that, or a 32mm viscous fan spanner bent to shape might work? Not sure how tight they have to go?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I use an old machinsts spanner for adjusting mills and lathes. Perfect size, and cut from a flat piece of steel so nice and thin.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I use a tie rod removal tool, it slides over the tie rod and has a cammed action inside it (like a stud remover) to allow it to bite onto the tie rod.

Takes literally a few seconds, you just slide it on and undo it with an impact gun.

Trophy Turbo :)
i managed to get them back on with a open ended 32 with the end ground thing, just thought there may be a tool to do it, i like tools! and like doing things correctly, i was tempted to bent the spanner but its a 32mm snap on puppy and dont think it would bent to easy lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This is the type of tool I use:

http://www.ldemporium.co.uk/images/BER61021.jpg
BER61021.jpg

You just slide it up the track rod, and then undo it either using a spanner on the hex section or a impact gun in the 1/2 inch sqaure hole in the end of it.

Pikeyrigup.jpg

I used this to remove them lol.

Tool chip has posted is the proper tool for the job but they're expensive and not worth buying unless you're regularly using it IMO.

330i. E30 Touring.
32mm Crows foot. Bit grinded off to make it thinner.

Either that, or a 32mm viscous fan spanner bent to shape might work? Not sure how tight they have to go?

Pikeyrigup.jpg

I used this to remove them lol.

Tool chip has posted is the proper tool for the job but they're expensive and not worth buying unless you're regularly using it IMO.

jonff your my new special p**n tool friend :) i will purchase one of them ends asap

Aheeeem.

Many.
I have a viscous fan spanner for this very reason, Still can't get in there that well, but works good enough! Can get them for about £8 too.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I've got the one that Chip-mk1 posted up, but I thought you were also supposed to use something to hold the rack at the same time?

Anyways, it worked on mine with no fluid loss and has been fine since.

HBT 172 Cup
I used a ratcheting crows foot, although had to file down the purple plastic stops slightly as the tool width was too big, not a proper method, but it worked perfectly and the tool was cheap (ill probably never use it again).

BG182ff,explod Focus
How about using a 32mm box spanner like this?

Slide it down the rod and use an adjustable spanner or pipe grips on the outside of the 27mm end.
Or am I missing something?

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Plumbers tools! ^^^^^
They slip tight nuts on basin taps so I doubt they'll be much use. Worth a try though

Clio 182
The thing with the crows foot is some of the ones I've removed and refitted have no flats for a spanner so you need the Bergen type tool anyway.

Westfield, 182, 200
I've got the bergen tool, i bought it to do my old 182, it's since been used on a Trophy and my 200 so starting to pat fot itself.

Anybody near Solihull wants to borrow it, drop me a pm.

Ian.

I used a viscous spanner. Was fairly straight forward.

Hardest part for me was getting the rubber boots back on.

Clio 182 FF
Any special techniques/tool for removing the tie rod ends out of the hub? After you've undone the first few threads the ball joint drops and it just spins.:mad:

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
It depends if they are original or aftermarket.

On my originals I had to cut them off but there are various ways on non original ones:

If you slide the boot down a little there are two flat spots to put a spanner on to stop it spinning
Or
There is an Allen key/torx bit hole in the top
Or
The very top is hexagonal to get a spanner on