ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Time for an upgrade? 172-197

Clio 197
Out and about helping my missus buy a new car and stumble across an 06 197. Just want the opinion on handling/ride comfort etc compared to the old 172(currenly own 52 plate).
The missus prefers the look of the new one and she generally hates the ride in my 172 and won't go anywhere long distance in it.

I love my little 172 and don't want to let it go but the 197's looks are really growing on me. Buying the 197 would mean tightening the belt a little but is it worth it? Will be test driving sometime this week. What Do you guys reckon?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'd go for an R27 if you're looking for a 197.

I found the standard car lacking in all the good bits about the Mk2.

White clique
If your mrs hates the ride of a 172, she'll hate the 197 even more, its is even firmer!

But i've owned both and the 197 is a nicer car in many ways.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Love mine, had 2............ I'd never go back unless i had to

Clio 197
Yeh I was worried that I wouldn't have the go kart feel anymore, although I will be doing more long distance driving and the windscreen whistling was becoming a bit of an irritant. Will take her along to the test drive and see what happens. All going well could have a 197 by the end of the week :)

Are there any issues to look out for with a 6 year old 197?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
test drive the 197, I preferred it to the 172 :) By comparison to the 172 it had endless grip and I had a lot more confidence with it in the corners. I found it to be a comfier ride personally however I also found the Recaro's much much comfier than the standard seats :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Yeh I was worried that I wouldn't have the go kart feel anymore, although I will be doing more long distance driving and the windscreen whistling was becoming a bit of an irritant. Will take her along to the test drive and see what happens. All going well could have a 197 by the end of the week :)

Are there any issues to look out for with a 6 year old 197?

The usual

Cambelt is due (5 years or 70k)

Check gearbox, must not be crunchy especially above 5000 rpm. If it is, its hooped

If brakes feel crap they are probably seized. The pads and pins in the fronts are prone to this. I get mine stripped down yearly. They should feel awesome.

Check AC/Climate works. I had an early 197 and the Climate was a nightmare for not working. Check for the 'click' of the compressor pulling in

Clio 197
Thanks for the advice, after much deliberation I've finally got my 197 :). And after having it for only a day now, I already love it! It's everything that was good about the 172 plus more. (although the go kart feel is definitely not there). The only thing that really bugs me is the cornering light and I'll have a go at putting an aux cable in the back of the radio.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
just takes a bit if getting used to compaired to a mk2, yes it feels less nimble but when you start to learn it you will realise how much extra grip you have available!