ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

timing belt/ cam belt snapped :/

cliomk2
Hi im new to the clio scence. Ive had a clio for about 4 - 5 months now and had nothing but problems but easy fixable ones like wishbone, bearings ecs anyhows. Recently i was driving down the m55 and had to come to a stop because the car wouldnt drive it just totaly cut out. i know what it is because ive dealt with this on other cars but never fixed a cam belt. So im just asking wether it maybe just cheaper to get a second hand engine or just to do it myself with a friend ? it doesnt seem like the valves are bent but may be taking the head of to check anyway, but then that would lead to havingg to get a skimmed would it just be possible to fit the timing belt then reset the timing and see if it fires up ? and if it doesnt just to get a second hand engine? what would be cheaper

350z GT
If you cant afford the 12 quid how can you afford to fix the car??

surely the 12 quid may end up savin you more in the long run

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
If you cant afford the 12 quid how can you afford to fix the car??

surely the 12 quid may end up savin you more in the long run

Couldn't have put it better, you'll make the £12 back in savings you make from the parts for sale

ITB'd MK1
Thanks so a second engine would be alot cheaper then ? i cant get onto the parts for sale bit how do i acess it ?

I dont really go along with that arguement most of the time. it's a lot more labour to get another engine in, and you're left with a 2nd hand engine. If you rebuild your current head, you have a rebuilt top end that if done right will last longer and run better. On any engine with unknown history, you will have to fit a new cambelt kit, water pump, aux belt kit, spark plugs etc etc..... Nothing out of the ordinary, but often forgotten when costing up the options

Lionel Richie
I dont really go along with that arguement most of the time. it's a lot more labour to get another engine in, and you're left with a 2nd hand engine. If you rebuild your current head, you have a rebuilt top end that if done right will last longer and run better. On any engine with unknown history, you will have to fit a new cambelt kit, water pump, aux belt kit, spark plugs etc etc..... Nothing out of the ordinary, but often forgotten when costing up the options

last head rebuild i did was £1300 LOL!

second hand engine fitted with all new bits works out about the same TBH

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Depending how old the car is it might be as cheap/cheaper just to buy another and either sell this as spares/repairs or break it. Unless you can do the labour yourself.

Silent_Scone

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 5 RS
<--- or if your engines been through hell and back and you'd rather just see the back of it and replace it. lol

Is the car even a 2l. 1.2-1.4's would be even cheaper would it not?

not in a sense that it will most likely still be 16 valves to replace and a fair few other parts.

correct me if iam wrong but wether its a 2l, 1.6 ,1.4 ,1.2 if it has 16 valves i would say your looking around the same price give or take a couple of quid.

Alpine GTA Turbo+182
All a bit pointless if he can't raise the £12 for membership :S Should be able to afford it now seeing as he won't be putting petrol in the car! £12 = approx 9.3 lt ;)

true but say you get a 1.2 or 1.4 engine for say £500-£700 if there is no solid proof of the timing belt ,water pump, service etc..being done recently and the labour cost of fitting it.

it wil end up costing a shed load more than a rebuild personally i would have a rebuild!

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
If this happened to me, and it was the same price, I'd have my existing engine rebuilt.

Better the F4R you know.

RB FF 182
If this happened to me, and it was the same price, I'd have my existing engine rebuilt.

Better the F4R you know.

+1

After speaking to Fred it would probably cost about the same to put a new engine in anyway... Probably even more expensive!