ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tinny noise on power, 1.2 clio

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys,
Noticed this morning on my (new to me) clio that when accelerating there is a tinny noise coming from the near side. It seemed to get louder the longer my journey was. There is no noise if i just sit at speed or accelerate slowly, but its noticeable on setting of/ 2nd. Is this something to be worried about? My engine seems to sound okay when idling, can record it tonight if i get chance.

Cheers,
Louis

Oh, no where near me then!

@dann2707 is nearby, perhaps he might take a look. Without a video or something it is hard to say.

I had a tinny noise which turned out to be a fucked cat. Get down and listen to the car near the gearstick underneath in the center.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Okay, I'm taking it home back to York next weekend so i'll get my brother to get it on the ramps to have a look and a listen. Was just worrying about belts and the like especially as i'll still have to travel places.

Do you have a record of the last belt change?

Tbh, the belts in these go on and on and on and on and on. Mine had covered 60k miles / 12 years on its original belt before I had it done.

Record a video of both the engine bay and under the car near the gear stick and get them up here. :)

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I don't have any evidence no, but i have a fair bit of other service history where they have spent thousands on the car in the past so i don't seem them not doing this if it would come up that it was needed? It had a gold service 700ish miles ago! I could give the PO a call and ask about the belts? I have their address and contact details. I'll be sure to record a video then, the cars only done 81,200. Cheers

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Right just recorded it. Here's the video. When i pressed the gas there was a noise under the bonnet which i tried to get my camera to. Hard doing it on your own! Please let me know what this is as it's kind of worrying when i just bought the car... You can also hear a kind of "slipping" noise coming from the engine bay when blipping the throttle towards the end. Sorry for the lack of light!

th_20160203_170719_zpsajqegmkq.jpg

Thank you,
Louis

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah only when revving, nothing else. Sorry yeah it's dark! Only got back to uni when it was dark, will get a better video tomorrow. You get the gist though. The thing is, its only just happened this morning! Strange...

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Okay, ill go have a nosey now. It's dark and cold though which isn't fun.. I'll try get under it tomorrow to check if my exhaust is blowing or anything

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well i've had chance to record it again so here we go...
th_20160204_114442_zpsfihay5sa.jpg

th_20160204_115341_zpsq13fjwtn.jpg

There was a strange "eggy" type smell under the bonnet but the car did barely even get to temperature so may have just been that.
I did find this under my oil cap though, but am i right in thinking its down to me making only small journeys in the clio and nothing else major? I've not lost any coolant or oil. I did notice this down the side of my engine though, so maybe a small drip of coolant from somewhere? Hoses do have rusty clamps on, worth doing a coolant change?
Anyway, let me know!
20160204_115002_zps2m1wwq5n.jpg

20160204_114956_zpsuf4hmla8.jpg

20160204_114929_zpswhw8ahdg.jpg

20160204_114926_zpsaie5lk2p.jpg

White foamy stuff is nothing to worry about, I get it too. Its by not letting the engine get to temperature and too short journeys. Try to take the car on a good blast once a week.

Not sure on engine noise though tbh mate, as I have a different engine to you!

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Well i've not gone above 40 in it in the past 200 ish miles. So that's probably why too... Lot of stop start in huddersfield! Hopefully someone else is able to help. Thanks though mate you've helped a fair bit already!

Focus RS + S3
From the videos it sounds like a blowing exhaust, i know the little flexi section on the cats on these like to rust (like mine!)
But hard to tell

Also it looks like your thermostat maybe leaking

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I'll get under it tomorrow and have a look. Would the thermostat leaking just be small then? Hence no loss in coolant? It gets upto temp okay usually.

Focus RS + S3
You can have a look from under the bonnet at the flexi, look over the back of the engine between the coolant bottle and engine and you'll spot it, just have a feel round there see if you can feel it blowing, watch your hand as itll be hot lol

It may not be the thermostat, but my car had a small amount of coolant puddling on top of the gearbox and it lost a small amount over a week, and it turned out the thermostat housing was cracked, cheap part and relatively easy to change so i wouldnt worry

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Gave it a run back to york today and im happy to say that the build up of "cream" under the oil cap has gone! Must've been all those short journeys... Got 38.7 mpg now which is better than the 23 I was getting. Had a look today and think it is the flexi which is blowing. How much of a job is this to replace and how much would it set me back? Is not getting it done going to negatively affect the car at all? I also have an MOT in a month.

Focus RS + S3
Ahh good, i used to get concerned at mayo in the cap, but i do 350 mile a week in mine on a run so havent seen it in a while

The flexi is part of the cat (borrowed the pic below off google)

Its one olive joint clamp which will no doubt be rusted beyond use, so its best to relace, and two nuts to bolt it to the manifold flange,
Shouldnt take long at all, just will be fighting with rusty bolts and it'll prob be hard work to remove the lambda sensor

Either a second hand one, or they're around £70-80 for a new pattern part

440D3087-E48F-4E05-BBE5-57162BB55B80.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Oh right okay, pricey then! Don't know if 'll be able to afford that for a few weeks now! I'll have a better look underneath tomorrow. Is there any negatives with running it with it blowing for a bit?

Focus RS + S3
A second hand one can be had for sub £50 maybe cheaper in a scrappys or by keeping an eye out,

no major adverse effects really, itll just sound a little blowy, and maybe have a slight impact on mpg.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Oh okay, that's more reasonable then! Thanks for the help mate :) I'll get it up tomorrow and make sure it's definitely that. Just typical it goes less than 50 miles into me owning the car! Ahh well! If I was to go for a K-tec stealth exhaust would it come included with this part to resolve the issue? As I could live with it for a bit to save up and get a nicer sounding exhaust system.