ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TomTom 510 Review

Clown Car
I bought a TTG 510 Traffic edition(TMC) last week, the reason i went for this model was for the bluetooth hands free and the traffic feature, i took it back today for a refund.

As a sat nav device only i can't fault it, it is easy and intuitive to use like i have found all TT's to be, it gets a strong signal very quickly, route/re-route calculation is quick, the screen updates quickly and it has a good set of features.

The problems i found were -

1, The mounting shoe droops so you have to keep re-adjusting the posistion of the device, TT have recognised this fault and are replacing the faulty mounting shoes FOC.

2, When using the handsfree bluetooth and in a conversation with someone they are always saying to repeat words because they did not hear me properly, in the TTG 510 kit is a wired mic you can plug into the mounting shoe and posistion it near you, if i wanted a wired mic i might aswell just plug one into the phone.

3, When the TTG is bluetooth paired to my mobile it causes my mobile to randomly switch itself off and restart, my mobile is a Sony Ericsson W850i and is in TT's compatibility list.

4, The main reason i bought this kit was for the TMC traffic feature, i used it on my run on Monday night, i left Litchfield and headed to the M6 J4 across A38/A446 i had a TMC signal and traffic data was being shown and i was quite impressed, from M6 J4 down to Newport Pagnell services i had no TMC signal, it came back briefly but then went again, it never received a TMC signal onto Luton then back to Coventry.

From what i have read on gps forums is that TT gets it's TMC data from another company, iTIS Holdings i think, then it is broadcast via Classic FM, the coverage map for classic FM's transmitters is very patchy and the TMC aerial supplied by TT is poor, people have improved the aerial by modifying it so it can be connected to the vehicles own radio aerial, which is not an option for me as i drive different vehicles.

So now i have bought a TT1 because the BT and TMC are no good to me and i managed to find a Trafficmaster Freeway unit at my local Halfords, brand new in it's box in a display cabinet, paid a fiver for it, the Freeway unit warns of traffic problems by digital speech, similar to the Oracle system fitted to Vauxhall Vectras up to 2 juncs ahead or 10 miles.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
As for the mic, you cant expect the shoe item to perform well.

You need to update your w850 firmware.

It would have solved the issue.

Clown Car
Thanks for the info about the W850 firmware update, if i had kept the TTG then i would have probably searched for a fix for the BT issue.

The mic i refer to is the one that is built into the front of the TTG.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Yes, i apologise the earlier ones were fitted to the shoe.

Same mic different location, however the performance would be bad with both.

Clown Car
Karen - I have not used it yet in the 182, i have been using it in the HGV i drive(no heat reflecting windscreen), which aerial on you on about?, the MCX patch antenna for the GPS signal or the TMC aerial for the traffic feature?, i am on about the TMC feature which is an add-on to the standard 510.