ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Torque steer on Cup/172

When booting my Cup I get pretty serious torque steer. I know its a powerful front wheel drive car and I was expecting some! However, Im curious to see what all you other Cup/172 drivers reckon. Do your cars have pretty strong torque steer, or just a tad? Wondering if I need to get it checked out or not.

Cheers!

dont get a lot really well not that i notice but i could have just got used to it now but i still notice my tramlining

Suzuki SV1000S

You do get a hell of a lot actually, The cup I test drove was exactly the same. You get used to it very quickly

Ive got used to it through all these drag races Ive been having :) , but wanted to check mine was no worse than anyone elses...

Clio 172 Cup

mine is really bad, as soon as i hit some kind of pot hole the car flies around everywhere! ive nearly rammed other cars when racing due to this!!!

thats not torque steer mate torque steer is when driving along in a straight line planting your foot then it tries to rip the wheel from your hands and chuck you into the weeds

Mine also tramlines, and also nearly crashes when driving over a pot holes. When accelerating hard it pulls all over the place.

Bikeman,

Yes i experience harsh torque steer. Like controling an outragous animal on a bad day, but its all part of the fun. Just got to keep your wits about you or one day she might catch you out! But can be embarrising, especially when your at the lights and it torques to the left, correct it and shes off to the right and you look like shes giving you a right hard time!

Nippy white cup

Quote: Originally posted by dogmaul on 19 September 2003

dont get a lot really well not that i notice but i could have just got used to it now but i still notice my tramlining
Not 100%, but doesnt the Cup have Hydraulically assisted steering? Not as light as true Powersteering in the 172 so the tramlining would be less noticeable

The powersteering in both is hydraulic as far as I know. When I got my 1st 172 is did seem to pull around alot under hard acceleration, but Im totally used to it now. Just hang on a bit tighter....

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Well I can honestly say Ive never experience any torque steer whatsoever! I think a lot of people confuse torque steer with tramlining!

so is this right...

Tramlining - where your car following those joins or cracks in the road at any speed.

Torque Steer - Where, once your foot is planted, the car steers violently to the left or right.

Try swopping tyres around. If back tyres are better than front swop them around. Also check for uneven wear in tyres. I have the same thing in my car. New tyres make it less noticable. It isnt violent though, its just because its front wheel drive with a big engine weight over the wheels. Maybe coilovers would solve it, thats what i am telling myself. Oh well better buy some i suppose

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I didnt used to get much torque steer on the Yoko A539 tyres but on the Toyo Proxes Im getting loads

u sure u lot are really getting this much torque steer and not exaggerating it by any chance? just that i cant really see it being this much of a problem on a brand new car to be honest (and its not a huge amount of power/torque really is it!), deffo cant see it being "like controling an outragous animal on a bad day". A mate of mines got a calibra turboi nova n that torque steers a bit like!!

My 172 was a hoot with the torque steer, really had to hang on tight.:cool:

I put 17s with the eibach pro-spring kit on - and now its a lot more controllable.

err yeah its also an idea to warn other people about it b4 they drive it!!!!

My dad took it out and nearly torque steered into a car coming the other way!!! needless to say i made him pull over there and then and get back in the passenger seat.

Its definately torque steer, and usually to the left. I didnt say it was a huge problem, just noticeable thats all.

I dont have a problem with tramlining at all.

I get it mostly to the right, reviews say the car has some and Mk2 have less than mk1s, I suppose it all adds to why its group 16 insurance, can be a bit of a handfull when your driving home in the rain and jus wanna get home!!

Quote: Originally posted by woodleadam on 19 September 2003

Try swopping tyres around. If back tyres are better than front swop them around. Also check for uneven wear in tyres. I have the same thing in my car. New tyres make it less noticable. It isnt violent though, its just because its front wheel drive with a big engine weight over the wheels. Maybe coilovers would solve it, thats what i am telling myself. Oh well better buy some i suppose
Do not swap the tyres from back to front on a 172/Cup IMHO your asking fro trouble.

Yep dont swop tyres round the Clio needs all the grip it can get on the back.

You will regret it when the car crashes cos the rears lost grip and the car spins out of control.

EDD

I get it also mostly to the left, just means that when im booting it against a mate, i always lead them to a section where there are a lot of left handers!!

CTR EK9 turbo

i like the torque steer. Sometimes when entering dual carriageways or coming out of corners if you floor it, you dont need to steer, the torque steer does all the steering. Auto-steering, engaged! noiyce