ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Torx bolts on the 182 front discs

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
What size are they? Torx-30 is too small and I'm VERY worried about shearing the bloody things. Whereas Torx-40 is too big.

Is it some daft size like a 32 or 35 or something that I don't have to hand? Seems crazy that they would use something as flimsy as Torx for something that requires a fair amount of torque to remove.

Grrr.

D.

ITB'd MK1
they dont need to be very tight when re-fitted, they're only really to align the holes in the disk with the hub to make fitting the wheels easier.

Best thing to do when removing is before even attempting to undo them, give the socket a sharp hit into the bolt head. Just kind of breaks the seal a little

330i. E30 Touring.
they dont need to be very tight when re-fitted, they're only really to align the holes in the disk with the hub to make fitting the wheels easier.

Best thing to do when removing is before even attempting to undo them, give the socket a sharp hit into the bolt head. Just kind of breaks the seal a little

This.

E46 M3
Also its a lot easier if you can borrow a hobo to press the brakes while you undo it, saves trying to hold the disc still.

Black Gold Trophy
Seems crazy that they would use something as flimsy as Torx for something that requires a fair amount of torque to remove.

Grrr.

D.

Torx is actually a very solid fitting and can hold a pretty high amount of torque, which is normally why the manufacturers use them in applications such as conrod bolts etc.
You'll probably find that the head of the bolt is just filled with a bit of debris which is why you're having difficulty getting the socket in. If the the bolt does shear off it will most likely be due to corrosion locking the thread and so much torque being applied to the head.

BG 182
Are these made of cheese or something? I've just bought the torx bit and managed to round two on one disc.

No idea what to do now as the car isn't going anywhere as it is.

SQ5
Got the correct torx size? Usually the smaller size fits but not correctly. Also you should undo them before you take caliper off and somebody can put pressure on them and hold disc still.

BG 182
Using a t40 and I'm holding the disc in place with hands and feet while we use a 1/2 torque wrench and 3/8 hand wrench. Neither did the job. Given up and going to get the car collected I think.

Put a screw driver in the disc so it hits against the caliper and stops it spinning?

TBH I changed 2 sets last weekend. I use an impact driver, few hits and it makes light work of the bolt.
However on the second car the previous owner must of welded the things in, ended up drilling them out and re-tapping the threads on the hubs lol.
Oh and it also snapped my t40 bit from my impact driver lol

The problem is people doing them up so tight when changing the discs, I just nip them up these days.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Impact driver usually sorts them straight away

If they are rounded, then a punch and hammer will do it. Same effect as impact driver, ie shocking and turning them to get them moving.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
This is really common, Ive had it happen to me on more than 6 discs. Same as above rounded the head. I didnt piss about and used an angle grinder to take the whole of the head off - was throwing the brake disc away anyway. Then once I had popped the brake disc off I used a dremel to cut a slot into the left over stud and used a screw driver to take it out. Loads of stuff on youtube about this.
By the way you can get a bag of 50 of these torx bolts from screw fix.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/socket-co...-m8-x-20mm-pack-of-50/34545?_requestid=225280

@g172 - you should sell these ^^