ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

toyo v goodyear v continental

am going to finally get round to putting new tyres on the cup. Am looking at Toyo T1-R, Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 or Continental Sport Contact 3. Only got about 8k out of the contis so want something that will last at least as long as them, but something that also going to give a good level of grip and obviosuly overall VFM.

Thoughts, comments and opinions on each of those tyres, or sugestions of something i may have missed? before people come out with 'PE2s end of thread' comments, I am NOT paying £150 a corner for tyres when I get Toyos or Goodyears for £90-£95!

ive got GSD 2's on mine. been on since last may and there fantastic come wet or dry weather. loads of grip and more confidence now.
if you can find somewhere that sells the 2's go with them IMO.

reason I am looking elsewhere is that the contis are £130 a corner and havent taken lots of abuse....

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I have but the Toyos on mine as I didnt feel happy about paying £130 each for the conti's! To be honest, I cant tell the difference and have saved over £100 on two tyres.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When the 197 was launched, Renault banged on about how the whole car was developed around the continentals.

We had an hour sat in a classroom about it!

I have but the Toyos on mine as I didnt feel happy about paying £130 each for the conti's! To be honest, I cant tell the difference and have saved over £100 on two tyres.

How much did you get the Toyos for then? and where??

When the 197 was launched, Renault banged on about how the whole car was developed around the continentals.

We had an hour sat in a classroom about it!

yeah have heard that.... shame they cost so bloody much.

Better mate. I thought the contis were terrible for wear. I was borderline for the last 2k miles as I couldnt accept that they needed changing.

LOL! I've just ticked over to 8000 miles, and been going on about needing to change for the last 1000miles.

Megane R26
I'd stick with the Conti's personally - the car was made around them as suggested above. I'll never skimp on rubber, it's just not worth taking a potential hit in performance for a few quid.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
It could just be a marketing ploy! Renault always do it with tyres.

I personally think its a load of b****cks.

Megane R26
True...

Didn't Performance Car put Dunlop Sportmaxxx's on their Cup with good results? They are a bit cheaper at around £95 per corner.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I've got T1r's on the 172's. Good in the dry, poor in the wet. They wear quickly, and the wet weather grip fades badly with grip. They were cheap, but I think I'll go back to F1's next time.

1 Series Coupe
Excellent..

Also makes me feel better than i'm not the only one that has had to pay an arm and leg for tyres today! ;)

If you read different threads people say the T1Rs last well or wear quickly. I think you need to take it all with a pinch of salt as people drive differently and have different expectations.

You're better off trying them for yourself.

yeah had gathered that, will see how I get on with them. Not having them fitted for a couple weeks yet as mine still have life in them, so getting them done just before I go away.

immaculate clio 172
i have avon's all round on my 172 and they spot on in all aspects grip, wear, road noise etc and can be had for under £70 a corner= bargain especially in middle of a global recession lol

Out of those 3 I'd go for the continentals. Toyos are rubbish in the wet and wear out quickly, I wasn't keen on the Goodyears. Continentals were the best tyres I've experienced until I got the PE2's which I have now.

Clio RS 200 cup chassis
I had ttoy on my twingo gt and the grip was good on the dry on the wet you had to be careful sometime. I would go for the goodyear F1 they are pricey but great wet and dry.