ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Track Rod Ends Help

172 Cup
replaced the tre's on my cup but the locking nut that tightens up against them is seized in place so I cant adjust them further in, and cant get it to budge, tried brute force, wd-40, repentant spray and still no joy?

any other suggestions? as im a bit stuck

Sorry if wrong section

172 Cup
blowtorch?
obviously wipe off the wd-40 and let it evaporate a bit first.
and don't melt any melty bits though.

Not sure what repentant spray is. Tried some other kind of penetrating fluid? I think GT85 is supposed to be good?
There's even a special WD-40 brand penetrating spray.
Let it sit, give it another squirt, let it sit some more. It takes time to work. I gave my exhaust mounts a good soaking over a week ago, before the new ones even arrived.

Give it a "tap" with a hide mallet.
About all you can do really.

172 Cup
I ment penetrant spray* yeah iIleft it a while to get to work! lol aii ill try heating it up tomorrow! If all else fails ill just cut it off and replace it with a new nut

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Heat... serious heat... will kill an X65's inner control arm. Go easy if you go that route but personally I'd just change the arm.

Renault items are around £40 each. Type approved are around £23 so notbthe end of the world (if you have the tool to do them:

uploadfromtaptalk1370679641087.jpg

182cup & 172 racecar
As everybody has said, heat it your friend, put a very wet rag on the ends, this will help to stop the heat doing too much damage further up the arms.

​You have got the ball joint connected to the strut haven't you?

172 Cup
Yeah ill take it easy if I use heat! yeah ball joint is connected to strut! Its a strange one like I just automatically thought with the retaining nut seized inplace the new tre's would just goto the same point and be spot on but the new ones need about another 2-3 rotaions compaired to the old ones

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You've given the threads a bloody good going at with a wire brush I assume? I personally prefer to use heat as a last resort.

172 Cup
Yeah tried wire brushing! Ill give the wire brush and some more penetrant spray ago again today before I get the blowtorch out ! If i had a bit of a longer reach socket I could clamp the tie rod and get the impact gun on it but none of my "long reach" sockets are "long" enough

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I've got an extra long 21mm and 22mm for this very reason... not that it helps you though lolz.

Mole grips tight on the inner tie bar will help you to

172 Cup
I've got an extra long 21mm and 22mm for this very reason... not that it helps you though lolz.

Mole grips tight on the inner tie bar will help you to

haha yeah glad you have them ;) going to pop to halfrauds now see if they have any longer ones!
Thanks for the tips/advice anyway, Ill do an update once Ive attempted them again

182cup & 172 racecar
If you screw the track rod ends out a bit, this will leave a clean thread exposed. Have you tried screwing the nut onto this clean thread, or are you just trying to it the other way?

BG 182
If you have a long pair of steelsons: place end on axle stand put steelsons on the body of the Tre and use a spanner with a piece of tube to move the backnut. Use flames and work close to the axle stand as possible.

172 Cup
Yeah I had to opt for a blowtorch worked a treat on the n/s, but o/s still wouldnt budge :S so I had to cut the nut off, no damage was done to the inner rod by doing so, so Im just replacing both nuts with new ones tomorrow