ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Traded In The ST for A Full Fat 182!

Teg
I would look at a sabelt wheel mate. A retrim won't change the fact it's massive. Ruins the whole drive when you jump in one with a sabelt wheel you realise what a difference it makes.
Just had a quick look at them sabelt wheels... That's another item added to the shopping list.

I would get a smaller steering wheel not a retrimmed one. I'd look into a short shifter too as it makes the gearbox feel less s**t.
Is it definitely worth while then? What short shifter do people recommend? I had a Mountune short shift arm on my ST but didn't think much of it.

I'm pretty sure that, other than a completely different gearbox altogether, nothing makes the Clio box feel much better than stirring a pot of lead and rocks.
Haha... I can't remember what the gearbox felt like on the test drive now, all my attention was on how heavy the clutch was lol.

The Fiesta IB5 gearbox isn't bullet proof either... The diff is a weak point and when it lets go it just blows a hole in the bell housing.

Another CSer with reading problems.

I think you need to go back and read your own posts 'I preferred my ST over my trophy' then followed up by agreeing that the ST isn't as good as a 182.
Nothing wrong with my reading, something wrong with your writing - you don't seem to know what you're saying.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ah so the ST being better means I think it's a better hot hatch? It's not, the Trophy is one of the best hot hatches ever made iirc. Add into the fact the ST isn't a hot hatch anyway the point is moot!

The ST I had was better for a what I wanted than my Trophy. It was a cracking car.

Clio trophy
Cracking looking St,hope you enjoy 182 ownership. I've worked in the car industry for a while so have got to drive some great cars and have owned a fair few hot hatches and my trophy is up there with the best of them so I'm sure your not going to be disappointed with your 182!

Teg
I picked up my Clio this morning... Mixed emotions. Really sad to see my fiesta go (being a ford fan) and a little apprehensive about buying a French car but once I started to drive it, I then started to realise why I'd made the decision to buy a 182... and a good decision it was:smiley:.

The fiesta had bags of torque low down but lacked top end where as the Clio is the opposite, no where near as strong low down which is a little disappointing but once you get above 5000rpm that's when the fun starts and I must say for a car with around 170 to 180bhp it does put a smile on your face.

The really positives about this car for me is the chassis... It's amazing with the cup pack! My ST had Bilstein suspension, a fully pollybushed chassis using Powerflex, Whiteline RARB and OMP strut braces and it felt no where near as good as the Clio. I think one of the best things the Clio has going for it, is its light and when it comes to the handling of a car weight does make a world of difference.

There's a few things I want to do on the interior and exterior to tidy it up.. Performance wise nothing spectacular, just a panel filter, it's already got a stainless back box on... I need to get it up on my ramps to have a proper look because it my be a cat back system, not sure what brand it is either but I'll find out. With regards to the chassis I'm happy with the cup setup, no improvements needed there. I will be taking the car on track so I'll be putting new discs and pads on along with some braided hoses and new fluid. I'm also on the look out for some 16" turinis either that or I'll keep the standard 17s and put some Michelin PS3s on.

Hopefully this car will look after me just as much as I'll look after her!

Teg
Are they? Haha, don't I feel a little daft now! Not sure why I was thinking there 17s then. Not that I don't believe you but I'm going outside now to check lol

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Tbf the 182 wheels always looked bigger. 15" 2118s can improve feel and handling and look pretty cool with the right look.

Just a consideration. Kill 2 birds with one stone by buying 16" Turinis and fitting same tyres but just a consideration.

No where else on the net will you find the knowledge of these cars whether maintenence or mods that's fact. You're in safe hands. Enjoy the stay and if you haven't already become a member you'll get your money worth out of it just on the members pack alone.

For what it's worth a lot of people here don't even own Clios anymore but stick around due to the wealth of knowledge on many a car and other stuff oh and decent chat.

Teg
I've become a member, like you say gally it's £12 well spent for all the available information. Seems to be a more active forum that STOC too:up:.

I'm not too sure on 15s they would definitely be an improvement over 16s but I'd need to lower the car to pull them off I reckon. That's why I'm after sticking with 16s. I like the look of turinis on a Clio not sure what tyres to go for though? Road use through the week and then I'll get a track day in every month or two. What are Michelin PS3s like on track? Or should I go with 595RSRs or NS2Rs (180 compound)?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
All about cost. Not sure I'd want to fire round a track with some expensive PS3s on. Maybe pick up some second hand track tyres and stick them on some Turinis.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I've become a member, like you say gally it's £12 well spent for all the available information. Seems to be a more active forum that STOC too:up:.

I'm not too sure on 15s they would definitely be an improvement over 16s but I'd need to lower the car to pull them off I reckon. That's why I'm after sticking with 16s. I like the look of turinis on a Clio not sure what tyres to go for though? Road use through the week and then I'll get a track day in every month or two. What are Michelin PS3s like on track? Or should I go with 595RSRs or NS2Rs (180 compound)?

The STOC likes gel overlays and wind deflectors too much for my liking.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
15 inch tyres are almost half the price of 16's.
Lots if folk get some 15s for track use and keep the 16's for the road.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
If you are using the car mostly on the road with the odd day thrown the ps3's would be a good shout. Although i do like my rsr's on track, road wise im not sure id use them all year round tbh