ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tricky 172 cup

Renault Clio 172 Cup
Hi,

Does any 172 cup owners find driving a in the dry very rewarding and fun, but in wet/damp condition the little cup turns into a murderous beast, becoming very twitchy, alway trying to loose traction. or is it my heavy foot.lol.

Cheers.

Clio 172 Cup
Yeah, same. Small changes in the road surface plus a bit of rain plus a change of direction equals finger-shaped dents in the steering wheel and an inch of seat drawn into the sphincter.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Too much speed for the temperature/conditions or poo tyres or both!

My M3 rarely tries to kill me.

Renault Clio 172 Cup
All new tyres, but your right crap make, canny in the dry but scrap in the wet. usally run Toyo's.

Thanks all, will take it extra easy in thr wet.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
All new tyres, but your right crap make, canny in the dry but scrap in the wet. usally run Toyo's.

Thanks all, will take it extra easy in thr wet.
Yep. No prizes for pushing it in the wet.

I have found the biggest loss of traction has come from the recent drop in temperature rather than moisture. The compound really can't like.

Get some winters and you'll be passing Range Rovers when the snow comes!

FiestaST(ex 172 Cup)
I find the front of my Cup grips well in all weather, even under swift acceleration. But it's what the rear is doing that scares the s**t out of me. You really have to watch out for lift off over steer in the wet, and that includes changing gear mid corner if taking it right up to 6500/7000. But at the end of the day you might as well just slow down, I find this car good fun at slow speeds anyway.

Titanium 182 Cup
Yep, cheap tyres, heavy right foot and even tiny amounts of moisture will mean certain death for your Clio. :dead: I replaced the rubbish left on my 182 by the previous owner with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's and now it goes round corners like it's on rails, wet or dry.