ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trip to italy!!!

1.4 16v Clio
Right me and my mate are driving down to the south of italy next summer in my little clio, its a 1.4 16v so its obviously not that fast but have found its great fun to drive...

We're planning on getting the channel tunnel accross from england to france then from france head to switzerland and possibly spend a day goin over a few of the mountain passes and also maybe finding the top gear best driving road and having a go on that and then heading down to Bari on the south east coast of italy.

Basically would you guys recommend doing anything to the car in preparation for this trip, I mean more kind of stuff such as stripping out the rear etc. the main problem is I will only have been 18 for a few months and therefore its gonna be pretty difficult to get a decent insurance price on a bigger clio but I really dont want to end up pumping thousands of £££'s into a little 1.4 :p

Golf TDI
whats the spec on the car ? is it already modified ? as above really , you can still upgrade the front brakes on a 1.4 , and lowering the car will only improve on the handling for the mountain roads you are hoping to go on ! .

1.4 16v Clio
Its pretty much standard at the moment, needs a new cold air feed as the current ones ripped quite badly, may get an induction kit at some point just for the sound though :D and then ye will probably lower it.

The only thing is whether I really want to spend all this on a car that I might not have for another year...

1.4 16v Clio
The stelvio pass in summer is full of cyclist and tourists you wount get to drive up or down it very fast at all:(.

:( thats no fun :(

We'll be going late july probably if that changes anything :p (but probably not)
We can always go and have a look you never know we might get lucky :D

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The 60 hairpin bends, 48 of them on the northern side numbered with stones, are a challenge to motorists. Even Stirling Moss went off the road here during a vintage car event in the 1990s, with an onboard video of his incident being shown on satellite TV

I fail to see how you wouldnt enjoy that road at 10mph tbh

Ph1 172 + Combo van
as said get the best tyres you can afford. upgrade the brake hoses, fluid, pads and disks.

id say get some coilovers. little bit pricey but you can sell them once you get back.:)

The 60 hairpin bends, 48 of them on the northern side numbered with stones, are a challenge to motorists. Even Stirling Moss went off the road here during a vintage car event in the 1990s, with an onboard video of his incident being shown on satellite TV

I fail to see how you wouldnt enjoy that road at 10mph tbh
I didnt say that he wouldnt enjoy it lol, What I meant to say was that there wouldnt be much point in upgrading anything on his car for it.

Google Route Napoleon, very good road to do in that area .Watch out for kamakazi bikers coming towards you round bends on your side of the road.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
i drove Bath (Uk) through Italy, stopped in venice, then went 2 croatia then back home to bath in a £75 nissan bluebird lol