ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy Vs 172 Cup

RenaultSport clio Trophy
Re: Trophy Vs 172cup

Trophy's sooooooooooooooooo much better.................(runs away and hides :rasp:)

(I have never driven any other type of clio hence my opion MUST be FACT :quiet:)

J

JACKO CUP 172!

my cars better than urs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Subway said:
A trophy will piss over a standard 172 cup round corners. A standard cup handles like a drunken race horse, it's sloppy, gives in when sh*t gets rough and it the back comes out to easy.

A standard trophy handles corners very nicely as it has one of the best suspension setups you can get on a factory car. (Hot hatch)

drunken race horse pmsl!!! All this from someone who has driven a car for a max of 2-3 years ;)

i ran my cup in standard form..... then on eibach sportlines, (then on gaz coilovers, for a month :dead: ) then on H&R's. I then was all up for selling the car a month or so, so changed the suspension back to standard. I was very suprised how good the standard suspension was, imo it felt very good on broken surfaces, nice and taught.

in the order of handling on my cup,

H&R's- Very very good. Current set up, been running well over a year

eibach sport lines- very good also, tightens up already good set up, just didnt lower enough

standard set up- good for a standard set up

gaz -w**k

i would imagine he trophy to be very very excellent in standard form. IMO though, a well set up cup on H&R's (not slammed to the floor like mine lol) should be of equal

130i, 306 hdi, vrs

Last feb i was at bedford autodrome for the first time , my cup was standard , standard pads disks springs i had completed 12laps or so and my brakes where smoking !, i came in to the pits and i saw a trophy just leaving the pits ,so i thougth lets see how good these things are , he was going quite slow for the first 6 laps or so which was good gave the brakes time to cool down anyway ,he started giving it some now so i responded , he seemed to have a lot better turn in into each bend and less understeer , but as i exited each bend i seemd to have alot better drive ie last bend before the back straight he is on my tail going in , coming out i just pulled and pulled away from this guy,anyway this went on for a few more laps we both pulled in and had a chat ,

This guy was using semi slick tyres and uprated pads and disks , he asked me what had i done to my car when i replied its completley standard , he said come on what have u had done mate,i said standard he looked shocked to say the least !

anyway put two good drivers in both these cars and there would be f**k all in it , its all about having fun,both cup and trophy are super cars .

I would of liked to of seen what i would of been like if i had his tyres and brakes .

i would just like to ad the evo lap times 182cup 1.33.10
Trophy 1.33.75
like i say f all in it just enjoy !

J

JACKO CUP 172!

eo52vug said:
Last feb i was at bedford autodrome for the first time , my cup was standard , standard pads disks springs i had completed 12laps or so and my brakes where smoking !, i came in to the pits and i saw a trophy just leaving the pits ,so i thougth lets see how good these things are , he was going quite slow for the first 6 laps or so which was good gave the brakes time to cool down anyway ,he started giving it some now so i responded , he seemed to have a lot better turn in into each bend and less understeer , but as i exited each bend i seemd to have alot better drive ie last bend before the back straight he is on my tail going in , coming out i just pulled and pulled away from this guy,anyway this went on for a few more laps we both pulled in and had a chat ,

This guy was using semi slick tyres and uprated pads and disks , he asked me what had i done to my car when i replied its completley standard , he said come on what have u had done mate,i said standard he looked shocked to say the least !

anyway put two good drivers in both these cars and there would be f**k all in it , its all about having fun,both cup and trophy are super cars .

I would of liked to of seen what i would of been like if i had his tyres and brakes .

Trophy 1.33.75
that is a fair comment!!:D

E90

Fcuk me, why did no one tell me the fish were biting.

Cups are pish so are trophys, my golf gti would beat em both 4 up, with two flat tyres and three cylinders.

Mondeo TDCI 130

gt_gaz said:
drunken race horse pmsl!!! All this from someone who has driven a car for a max of 2-3 years ;)

i ran my cup in standard form..... then on eibach sportlines, (then on gaz coilovers, for a month :dead: ) then on H&R's. I then was all up for selling the car a month or so, so changed the suspension back to standard. I was very suprised how good the standard suspension was, imo it felt very good on broken surfaces, nice and taught.

in the order of handling on my cup,

H&R's- Very very good. Current set up, been running well over a year

eibach sport lines- very good also, tightens up already good set up, just didnt lower enough

standard set up- good for a standard set up

gaz -w*nk

i would imagine he trophy to be very very excellent in standard form. IMO though, a well set up cup on H&R's (not slammed to the floor like mine lol) should be of equal

my partner van could out handle your cup.....:rasp: :rasp: :rasp: ok maybe not.:quiet:

Subway said:
Laingo - Do you eat sh*t for a living? or do you just get paid to talk it?

PMSL

Just what I was thinking!

Think Laingo secretly wants a cup too. He loves to hate

Golf R

sh33n said:
PMSL.

This thread is going to get way out of control.

I've never driven a Trophy, but natural evolution says it should be better, if it isn't and I was a Trophy owner I would not be impressed.

if you turn up to the next MK meet (whenever that is) you can have a go of mine

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2

eo52vug said:

Trophy 1.33.75

would have been good if you both then changed cars and did the same thing again

172 Exclusive... For Sale

Hmm, i've driven both Trophy and own a 172 Cup. The Trophy handles and rides better than the Cup.

Now i'm not sure about these split second advantages that were printed in Evo although i've read that drivers and conditions and car mileage were different but lets not get caught up in that. When me and me Julie iz in me boom cup i iz razzin' in dee twisties me mate Dave piss all over me in iz Trophy, aight?

Oh and a 106 Rallye S2 will out handle both Cup & Trophy. Sorry folks.

130i, 306 hdi, vrs

The ultimate qustion is which one of the two is the most fun to drive ?

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member

Nomad said:
Hmm, i've driven both Trophy and own a 172 Cup. The Trophy handles and rides better than the Cup.

Now i'm not sure about these split second advantages that were printed in Evo although i've read that drivers and conditions and car mileage were different but lets not get caught up in that. When me and me Julie iz in me boom cup i iz razzin' in dee twisties me mate Dave piss all over me in iz Trophy, aight?

Oh and a 106 Rallye S2 will out handle both Cup & Trophy. Sorry folks.

Yer but 106s are sh1te
My Rx7 is faster than a 172/182 big deal

Megane Mk4

fbbf6c6b.jpg

;)

Clio 172 Mk2

Subway said:
A trophy will piss over a standard 172 cup round corners. A standard cup handles like a drunken race horse, it's sloppy, gives in when sh*t gets rough and it the back comes out to easy.

A standard trophy handles corners very nicely as it has one of the best suspension setups you can get on a factory car. (Hot hatch)

you must be one hell of a driver if you can control a front wheel drive car when the back end starts sliding out. Can i come to watch?

you sure your not loosing the front? (you normally loose the front end before you loose the back on a front wheel drive car). Loose the front and the back, and your fucked

172 Exclusive... For Sale

Iain C said:
Yer but 106s are sh1te
My Rx7 is faster than a 172/182 big deal

106 Rallye is far more fun than a Clio Cup, lot less power mind.

Don'tthink theres that much in it between Cup and Trophy, didn't drive the Trophy much though...

Spec C 12.5@110 (345/355)

FishThrower said:
you must be one hell of a driver if you can control a front wheel drive car when the back end starts sliding out. Can i come to watch?

Happened to me last night, no complaints from the fronts, but the back went light, i lifted, it tried to overtake the front, a wee feather of the throttle, bit of opp lock and a touch of brakes got it in a straight line, without the hint of a tank slap. Then again I'm no 18 year old that's just stepped into his first quick car!

Quote from Chris Harris of Autocar on the Trophy:

"The Clio Trophy is a car with so much damping sophistication that it achieves the impossible. It rolls less than the Clio Cup, has less suspension travel at the front yet it rides fully 30% better than that car."

"To drive it fast over virtually disintegrating asphalt and feel how well controlled each wheel is for bump and rebound is eye opening."

"Hydraulic bump-stops play a significant role alongside the dampers. Put simply they are out of a tarmac rally car and allow much more progressive damping behaviour once the stop is hit. Anyone who has felt how violent a Clio Cup can be under the same circumstances won't believe the difference."

"To put the Clio Trophy in perspective, you don't compare it to other cars in it's class, it is so far ahead that the comparison is unfair."

"Porsche owners will scoff but they will modify their opinion after a 20 mile thrash trying, and failing to remove a Clio Trophy from their rear view mirror. What a car."

No, I don't own a Trophy, but I really respect them and don't pretend that my 172 would get near one across a demanding road.

Adam Towler (also of Autocar) writes this from Renaults Pont L'eveque test track:

"Though the Trophy scythes through the bumpy S-bend with devastating control, a glance in the rear view mirror shows the following Clio Cup bucking and squirming on the very limit trying to keep up"

"As for the chasing Clio V6, I think I can see the drivers white knuckles from here"

"We take off over an off camber 100mph right hander, we land with an almighty bang, we repeat this and later investigation reveals a snapped damper mount now lying loose in the boot. I think you could call that properly tested."

Last edited:

FishThrower said:

You can come and watch me if you want. It's quite easy to control a sliding Clio. Quick flick and a squeeze on the power and you can drive right out of it no drama at all. It's great fun on large empty roundabouts :cool:

Nippy white cup
I think alot of it is down to personal preference in the end. I love my Cup and think it handles well, although I don`t go round every corner on 2 wheels so don`t know it`s limits....but one mans good handling car might be another mans `boring drive`. Look at Tiff Needel...if the back end doesn't snap out at every given oportunty then he thinks it`s s**t.....where as most people would prefer not to risk going through a hedge backwards on every trip!

Chris

I should add that it's easy to drive out of provoked oversteer. I doubt it's be so easy making a mistake @100mph on a track with the old ring piece doing party tricks :eek:

in summary it seems to be a case of a more refined better handling car Vs a more raw stripped out, but quicker car... I'd take the Cup and a set of Eibachs personally. Handling difference would be absolutely minimal then to most.

Nippy white cup
I can vouch for the sportline eibachs....the twitchyness the std cup has on sweeping bends is improved quite a bit...imo of course

Chris

Chris n nic said:
I can vouch for the sportline eibachs....the twitchyness the std cup has on sweeping bends is improved quite a bit...imo of course

Chris

yours is really planted, handled exceptionally well when I was last in it... and that's with you driving! ;) :rasp:

cliobuyer said:
The Autocar article is about the 182 Cup, not the 172 Cup BTW.
I don't think it would matter if it was about the FA Cup, the opinion, demonstration and conclusion were so emphatic.

Turbos.
TheJesus said:
good point... why do turbo's make cars faster?

:rolleyes:

How is that anyway related? If you can't think of an answer, maybe it's best not to reply.

Otherwise, enlighten me with your knowledge.

Nippy white cup
I think his point was that you basically said ;why would stiffer springs help handling' when clearly they do...the same as if you put a turbo on a car it clearly makes it faster.

Chris