ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Trophy vs Cup

RB 182 195bhp
I currently have a 172 cup, I'm looking for something different, weighing up the options but tbh I will probably end up keeping it lol. I've looked at m3's, evo 6's and m5's, but being 19 insurance is a joke. I was just wondering if a trophy is much of a step up from the 172 cup really. I like the seats, the spoiler and the rareness of the Trophy, but I was just wondering if its worth the extra 2k (I value my cup at 2-2500 as its tidyand trophys seem to go for around 4-4500 ATM)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Not worth the upgrade imo, insurance was the same for me for any of the renault sport clios.

Keep what you have, you know it's good at least. Then when you eventually upgrade do it to something different.

As good as a Trophy is and I've had one, you won't feel as though you've changed car in a sense.

Best to try one and see.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
Get a set of recaro trendlines job done the cup interior aint the best u wont gain nothing from a trophy performance wise but ull gain future value

LY R26
Disagree, the Trophy suspension is lovely.
Prefer the exclusivity of the Trophy, plus it's a 'newer' model, being a 182.

Would I upgrade? no, as it's essentially the same car and you don't want the 'new' second hand car niggles hassle.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Depends if you'd drive it properly or just use it to go backwards and forwards to the shops.

The trophy has fantastic suspension and its better than any other clio suspension I've driven on the road, the track may be a little different when the surface is completely smooth.

People will tell you to put recaro's and upgraded suspension on your cup, however it wont ever handle like a trophy down a 'b' road

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I have been looking at upgrading my 172 for a trophy and it just seems pointless really for practically the same car, so i am looking at boxsters instead :p

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
You pair can cruise the circuits with the roofs down.... "dey see me rollin, dey hatiiiiin"

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Get some AST coilovers then the only thing the trophy has better is seats :)

Plus blue is a nicer colour than the trophy red ;)

You get what you pay for. Remember that.

If you just want it slammed, get some racelands. That's about all they're good for.
If you want proper suspension, you have to pay for it!

clio 182 sport
Wow! Not cheap then! Could you get a good setup with £500?

Yes, eibach sportlines and get new shocks and solid top mounts ......... could get a whitline rear ARB aswell for around £500 i think and that set up has surely got to be the same if not better than the trophy??

I have had a Trophy and it was brilliant.

The Megane is going next week so will be getting another 182 so wondered if I could get a similar setup over standard with going for Sachs.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Spax RSX with rear coilover setup is up there in the cheaper than ASTs range.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Yes, eibach sportlines and get new shocks and solid top mounts ......... could get a whitline rear ARB aswell for around £500 i think and that set up has surely got to be the same if not better than the trophy??

So you honestly think that spending £500 would eclipse a trophy in the handling department? If that was the case why didnt renault just do that?

I've been in AST equipped cars on a back road and they just dont go as well as a trophy with fresh dampers on them, you can argue all you want, I've been in them all and the trophy is the best.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
So you honestly think that spending £500 would eclipse a trophy in the handling department? If that was the case why didnt renault just do that?

I've been in AST equipped cars on a back road and they just dont go as well as a trophy with fresh dampers on them, you can argue all you want, I've been in them all and the trophy is the best.

have you seen what renault charge for these dampers to be replaced? then ask why renault did what they did lol

and as for the spax there was a trophy that went over to the spax and the driver rated them very highly for the price compared to the trophy set up.

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6

I totally agree with the clio kid :p

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
At 19, i'd sell the cup and get the cheapest car I can find to run, unless you've got loads of dosh.

But out of the options you've given i'd keep the cup.

RB 182 195bhp
Cheers for the replies! Think I will just stick with the cup until I can afford a bigger upgrade. No point in selling the clio for something cheap though, I already own the car so the initial outlay is done and it does 34-38 mpg, can't really get much cheaper lol

clio 182 sport

calm down fella :p

i dont think there would be much of a difference, nothing noticable ..........