ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tunability of Mk 1 V6’s

Seeing as the price of mk 1 V6 clios is coming down so fast... has anyone else thought that they seem a bit underpowered for a 3 litre engine.

I know theyre about 230 bhp standard, but if you can pick one of for abot 14 grand, and spend a grand on it engine surely it will develop more than 230bhp.... and also look a lot cooler than anything similarly priced.

Anyone done any research into tuning these things up?

Forester Sti, SC Clio V6,

inductions the issue - new plenum - new cams - new exhaust - big valve heads - slightley more than £1k - supercharger £3.5k plus new ecu with cam control and throttle by wire £4k installed - then low comp pistons and fitting so you can run boost £1500 - V6s are never cheap to tune.

V6 race engine £8k from Huega in Le Mans plus install.

The upgrade the gearbox to take the power £11k from Sadev installed

Oh to win the lottery

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I think Id rather spend the money to sort out the rear end twitchyness before I invested anything in extra power

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I have seen a V6 around with V6 *** number plate, which has twin NOS bottles sat on top of the plastic around the engine...

looked interesting!

they are good engine, but Ren was pansy with it.

The std heads can make close to 300bhp without being touched.

Just upgrade the valve train and cams, twin plenham off the trophy cars, exhaust ecu blah blah blah, its good and easy to get the power.

Clio v6

bump.

Yes more details please BenR.

Can I get it done this Friday and have it ready for Sunday?

Details.........um, what would you like to know?

the engines capable of well over 350bhp without much work.

The twin plenham manifold off the trophy cars is the most important part, sorting cams and head work are easy.

Could you do it in 2 days, yea, if you worked flat out and had all teh resources at hand....no worries!

if not......id say a week of somebodys free time.

Anyone thought about the fact that the twin plenum has two throttles bodies which are fly by wire - anyone thought that the standard ecu cant control them - anyone thought that the cams are controlled by the ecu on the inlet side and this needs dealingwith when you firt the new cams - the only ecu that can manage this is the Motec 800 which isn;t cheap or the race unit off the trophy car which has bespoke software.

And yes I love my V6 - handles like a dog compared with the Exige but is a lot more liveable.

With new suspension front and rear itll be better!!

The gearbox and drivetrain are none to strong and the rear hubs flex even with standard HP - if youre gonna screw around with one of these be prepared to be poor.

Oh and 0-30 its as quick as you like!!!!!!!!!

Oh and twr had a reliable 275 bhp from the lump before renault dropped it to 255 for emmisions

and another thing............................

God dont I go on

Dear All,

Well, MikeT is abosolutely right ...why am I so sure ? Cos today, Ive received the parts catalogue and repair manual of the Clio RS V6 Trophy catalogue from Alpine Renault and Im going to order some parts which we might need.

1. Oil cooler (anyone thought of a watercooled oil cooler ?) The trophy used that to cool the sequential gearbox

2. Im also getting the trophy wheels, front spoiler and the brake cooling duct.

Dont know about the price yet as it only has the part no.

Im still thinking whether I should race this car in the coming trackday or not but now that Ive got the trophy details which helps a lot on geometry setup.

Enginewise, the unit is somehow quite diff. from ours, the throttle bodie is yes controlled by a seperate computer, the intake plenum, cams, gearbox, compression etc etc.

If any of you guys want to order any Trophy parts, please let me know as I have now registered my company to Alpine and I might transform my Clio to a Trophy wannabe. I might be able to help in getting some parts (but no promiss)

thx

Charles
HK

Quote: Originally posted by Mike T on 17 July 2003

Anyone thought about the fact that the twin plenum has two throttles bodies which are fly by wire yes - anyone thought that the standard ecu cant control them yes - anyone thought that the cams are controlled by the ecu on the inlet side and this needs dealingwith when you firt the new cams yes, but not a problem if you disable teh 12v actuator and are running new management anyway - the only ecu that can manage this is the Motec 800 which isn;t cheap or the race unit off the trophy car which has bespoke software.

And yes I love my V6 - handles like a dog compared with the Exige but is a lot more liveable. Agree more than you know, drove it once, and never again thanks.....well, not with my money at least.

With new suspension front and rear itll be better!!

The gearbox and drivetrain are none to strong and the rear hubs flex even with standard HP - if youre gonna screw around with one of these be prepared to be poor.

Oh and 0-30 its as quick as you like!!!!!!!!!

Oh and twr had a reliable 275 bhp from the lump before renault dropped it to 255 for emmisions

and another thing............................

God dont I go on
yes, a few of us do! lol

Quote: Originally posted by charleswan on 17 July 2003

Dear All,

Well, MikeT is abosolutely right ...why am I so sure ? Cos today, Ive received the parts catalogue and repair manual of the Clio RS V6 Trophy catalogue from Alpine Renault and Im going to order some parts which we might need.

1. Oil cooler (anyone thought of a watercooled oil cooler ?) The trophy used that to cool the sequential gearbox

2. Im also getting the trophy wheels, front spoiler and the brake cooling duct.

Dont know about the price yet as it only has the part no.

Im still thinking whether I should race this car in the coming trackday or not but now that Ive got the trophy details which helps a lot on geometry setup.

Enginewise, the unit is somehow quite diff. from ours, the throttle bodie is yes controlled by a seperate computer, the intake plenum, cams, gearbox, compression etc etc.

If any of you guys want to order any Trophy parts, please let me know as I have now registered my company to Alpine and I might transform my Clio to a Trophy wannabe. I might be able to help in getting some parts (but no promiss)

thx

Charles
HK
Where, Who, what company in HK.

BenR,

Did you came out with a Super7 last night with Billy of Trinity ? I went there with my Elise right after you left Shek O. Well, heard that you had problem with your clutch or something, is it fine now ?

Did a few laps in friends Westfield Megabusa with twin 1.3 Suzuki engine up in Zhuhai and had gearbox problem too, but it was ok to fix cos its only a bike gearbox which makes it goes up and down 6 speed like a sequential. Whats more is that it can go backwards with 6 gears too .......... AMAZING ! Cant imagine driving something like that on street !

So Ben, what do you do in Renault ?

Evening Charles!

I was only speaking to another clio owner (Tony) a few hrs about you.

BMW club and Lawer?

Yes, that was me in the seven, unfortunately too many quick shifts damaged the clutch cover, half the springs are bust lol.

Yes, billy came to bring some tools to see if he could help, but alas, nothing could be done......had to drive home clutchless......pray for no rd blocks, traffic lights and speed bumps! haha

Your elise, we should meet up some time, i will email you nxt time we are going out.

The megabusa had twin bike engines, i was only aware that the std one comes with the single, or did he go mad and add another? lol

yea, the bikes have cartridge style gearsets too and easy to cahnge clutches which makes life easier for them haha.

Im a sales co-ordinator for Renault, but currently am not officially employed this summer.

charles

surround yourself with pillows before reading any prices from R Sport - itll make the landing a whole lot more pleasant

Mike

BenR,

Thats what were drafting now ... thinking whether we should go formally and form a race team or maybe just hire a race team to run our cars.

Thinking of doing the HKTCC and possibly the FIAGT in Zhuhai end of this year.

You have interest in Motorsport ?

Charles

Do i have interest in motorsport!

DO I!!!!!! its my life!

All i care about it driving fast, competitively.

You might know my father, Mike Rushworth, HKAA president, Renault, FIA all that malarkey.

Who else will you have driving?

Just came back from Zhuhai today after a full day co-ordination work with the BMWOCHK members first experience in the Altezza Race Car.

Well ... Ill be shipping my M Roadster there end of this month for the coming August trackday. Lets hang out and lets talk about motorsport.

I race with the Supercar Club members and some other friends of mine. How bout you?

Im afraid that trackdays in Zhu Hai are a bit out of my budget lol!

M roadster, nice.

Supercar club, nope dont do anything like that.......i know of it all, but im not really in a position for a supercar being 21. lol

Hang out and talk cars would be great, but i have to change the clutch on this seven nxt week. Monday im off to test the new surface on the macau kart track in a 125 6 speeder.

And i have tempted Kenneth to let me test a campus then Formula Ren hopefully..........

When in august is this track day.......all a bit too expensive shipping cars to china to do a days hooning in rd cars for me.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

Where did you get that!???

Thats me pops!

No, its a roast pig, in the middle is incence and other offering to gods for good luck. It was the opening for teh new show room which is fantastic.

haha, how strange it should be on here.

Ben,

Ken is a good friend of mine and I always store my car at his garage in Zhuhai. You should really try the Campus but quick .. cos theyre shipping the cars to Beijing by August to do a race there....

Well, shipping to zhuhai is a lot cheaper now .. only $8k return for your seven comparing to the previously $13k.

The August trackday is supposed to be 15th .. but dont know whether its firm yet.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 20 July 2003

Hey!

all it needs is you to pick it up! :p
If you can please bring the car back with you when you return to the UK Ben, then I will tell you how I got the pic!!

;)

Tell me where you got it and ill bring the V6 back with me ;)

Charles, we need to get together for a drink and a chat, maybe one time in Shek O when alot of other clio/pug/sport car owners are there.

BenR,

I might be picking my V6 tomorrow ! Hopefully itll be as good as before !

Hey ... any discount by mentioning your name ? You know my bill is very expensive !

:(