ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo Build - Stage 1, 2 or 3

Audi A3 V6, Cup 172
Hi Everyone,

This maybe a extremely over asked question but,
What is the best value for money Turbo package (Stage 1, 2 or 3)
£2000 being the bottom mark and £5000 being the top.

Reliability is key as personally when you part with such an amount of money, the last thing you want to do is spend more on maintaining it from breaking every time boost spools !

Cheers!

Audi A3 V6, Cup 172
Moneys not necessarily the issue, i'd be happy with low boost for the money cause i think its quite cheap tbh, but is it enough? not hunting for the highest figures really but how long do people stay satisfied with low boost until they think of going for a higher stage. id rather just go all out if that were the case really, never been in any boosted 172 to be honest so can't judge low boost as being too low power.

Audi A3 V6, Cup 172
I have 2 cars so i don't really use it everyday but it would be nice to have a track toy/fast road car

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
If you think low boost might not be enough then go all out. But what if that's not enough?

Or if money is no issue then go low until you get bored. Then up the ante. And repeat.

Golf Gti edition 30
I went out in a stage 1 clio and couldnt believe how good the difference was to standard so thought I will go for a stage 2 as my belts were due in a year then you seemed to get alot more for a extra grand to stage 3 so ended up going for a stage 3.....then went and got supertech valves put in aswell.Has escalated more than i thought but should be good when i get it back very shortly.

Audi A3 V6, Cup 172
See Dave, as you know i admire a 20v conversion, which is another thing i would consider, wiring is the main thing i have no idea about so thats the only off putting thing really

Audi A3 V6, Cup 172
You can't really be put off by boost due to a few people having bad experiences with it, you put more power through the unit then expect issues unless you upgrade components to keep up

Ph1
Stage 2 seems far better value than low boost when you consider you get all the belts done, a full rebuild and 40 bhp extra, for what a extra, 600 odd quid effectively.

Someone said on here it was the least reliable though. Can anyone confirm this?

Stage 3 OK for track use - for a road car just too much of a handful.

172 Turbo
Stage 1 can be had for £2500
Stage 2 at £4k/Stage 3 at £5k.

For someone with a standard Clio to "need" Stage 3 is questionable.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Stage 1 can be had for £2500
Stage 2 at £4k/Stage 3 at £5k.

For someone with a standard Clio to "need" Stage 3 is questionable.

Nobody 'needs' extra power. But everybody WANTS extra power.

I would have the car built to stage 3 (i.e. forged etc), and then run at stage 1 power, and maybe at some point map up to stage 2 power. That way you know you aren't pushing the engine to the ragged edge.

The gearbox is piss weak on these as we all know, and I'd be severely tempted to do an 02M conversion for reliability, with a quaife in it.

The cost isn't in getting the power, it's in getting the car prepared to put it down effectively IMO.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
I've been running the Engine Dynamics low boost kit for 2,000 miles now as my daily and no problems so far. It's running 230bhp and 235lb-ft which is perfect for a daily car, you get a decent amount of power and the reliability too.

I guess only time will tell as the miles rack up but 2k in and it's never given me reason to worry.

robmuns

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
I've been running the Engine Dynamics low boost kit for 2,000 miles now as my daily and no problems so far. It's running 230bhp and 235lb-ft which is perfect for a daily car, you get a decent amount of power and the reliability too.

I guess only time will tell as the miles rack up but 2k in and it's never given me reason to worry.
have you not had any problems with the nuts coming lose on the downpipe at all?

Audi A3 V6, Cup 172
low boost seems like its best as its a first step, i suppose you can upgrade from there.... is low boost really that much of a jump?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Stage 2 seems far better value than low boost when you consider you get all the belts done, a full rebuild and 40 bhp extra, for what a extra, 600 odd quid effectively.

Someone said on here it was the least reliable though. Can anyone confirm this?

Stage 3 OK for track use - for a road car just too much of a handful.

How can you get belts done , 40 bhp extra and a full rebuild for an extra 600 quid ! ! ? Can't see how that's possible as the parts alone would be that much if done properly !
That price doesn't make sense to me ?

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
See Dave, as you know i admire a 20v conversion, which is another thing i would consider, wiring is the main thing i have no idea about so thats the only off putting thing really

Yes mate there isca guy thats just pulled all the loom from the vw and put it in the clio so runs vag loom. From my experiance i would say 280 is the perfect number

Clio 182
Ive got stage 1 from clio turbo and chuffed to bits with the change from standard. Totally different car.

For me its plenty at 230bhp. Yes id love more but you can drive it like a standard car. Had no probs with reliablity except for a loose coil pack

Heres a vid of a couple of runs i did at a local event but doesnt donit justice. Boot full of tools cold tyres and incompetent driver ;)

Ive seen standard clios pull low 14's.
That bosted one in video above is doing high 14's

Im a s**t at drag racing buy can pull 15's all day. Something dont add up or im missing something.

Audi A3 V6, Cup 172
depends how the powers being put down to be honest and also how heavy the drivers foot is off the mark lol.

Low boost seems like testing the water really and its not too over the top for everyday road use

Ph1
How can you get belts done , 40 bhp extra and a full rebuild for an extra 600 quid ! ! ? Can't see how that's possible as the parts alone would be that much if done properly !
That price doesn't make sense to me ?

Cost difference is £1200 really but when you consider you get a belt change which is what, 500+ at most places, included, add that to what it would cost on a low boost and your talking 600 or so difference for a full rebuild, more power and a decent clutch.