ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

turbo conversion?!?

mk1 clio 1.8rt
has anyone ever heard of or put a volvo 440/480 turbo lump into a clio? As ive recently heard that the 440/480 engine will fit straight in? please reply with your views

think you have to speak tooooo, umm i cant remember his name...

JOHN,,, help me out here... ??

think someone on here done it

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
its alot of work i take it you want to slot it straight into your 1.8rt? I think the easiest option by far is a williams engine conversion or a r5gtt engine if you need a turbo.

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
i have done it, the volvo lump is exactly the same block as the rsi.

here is the volvo lump in my engine bay, the inlet has now been changed for the polished one below. putting the engine in was the easy part the hard part was the wiring loom. had a few teething problems with the turbo melting the accelerator cable housing and a boost pipe popped off on the motorway, next thing on the list is a new bigger exhaust system, if you got any questions i will try and help you out
DSC00094.jpg

indcsa.png

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
its alot of work i take it you want to slot it straight into your 1.8rt? I think the easiest option by far is a williams engine conversion or a r5gtt engine if you need a turbo.

problem with the r5 its hard to find a decent engine and they are prone to going bang

^
an r5 engine will only go bang if it's poorly maintained, they go bang mainly because most people just fancy turning up the boost with nothing else done to it, hence they go bang.
I know a few who have run 5 gtt's with no problems at all.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Oh god no!

Myself and Djw Dave have worked on his car for erm some time and only got it on the road this month, as above wiring is a b**ch!

DYP, have you managed to get the rev counter to work at all?

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
Oh god no!

Myself and Djw Dave have worked on his car for erm some time and only got it on the road this month, as above wiring is a b**ch!

DYP, have you managed to get the rev counter to work at all?

nah not yet mate, away alot in USA so aint had time, its on my to do list, hows is yours running?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Its Daves, its just a lot of my blood and tears on/in it! ;)

Seems to be running well, maf has been turned down and its using a lot less fuel! Thank god, was 40 miles to a tenner at 1 point! Seems pretty quick, so reallly looking forward to tuning it a bit! Hows yours?

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
not to bad need to get lil bits sorted, want to re route the acc cable somewhere else as i melted one from the turbo heat haha. next on the list is a new straight through system, what sort of boost is daves running

williams 2 turbo
from a point of view of someone who has had a few engine conversions, both 5 gtt and williams, and having driven a volvo one i would suggest the following. go with the williams lump. ive always been a turbo fan, but when it comes to this after the williams lump was put in i would never go turbo'd again, not in a clio anyway. if you do go turbo you will be throwing money at it till you change it for a williams lump imo.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah Daves cable is abit too tight in our opinion so will have to see what else would work. Its still a standard map so runs up to 7psi, turned down to 2 psi for day to day driving cos hes too cheap to use a lot of fuel!!

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
Yeah Daves cable is abit too tight in our opinion so will have to see what else would work. Its still a standard map so runs up to 7psi, turned down to 2 psi for day to day driving cos hes too cheap to use a lot of fuel!!

ahh mine seems to have two stage, runs 6 and then 10. how did you turn it down?

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
:lolup: i cant believe i asked that must of been one of my no brain functioning moments

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
tbh the conversion is a rather large task.. its took me a fair few months and its running but giving me a hell of alot of problems. advice i can give is start with a 1.8 rsi and your life will be alot easier.my first attempt was into a 1.4 and it was alot harder.take your time with the wiring and ensure the exhaust downpipe isn't holding the engine at any strange angles. You can pick up a good volvo 480 for pennies now,start with the whole doner car,making the wiring alot easier to understandand you may have luck with some nice leather seats from the volvo.i regret selling them seats soo badly.

None
I have a mk1 RSI - is there a way just to stick the Volvo turbo on and just run at a low boost due to the RSI engines higher compression??

dyp

MK1 CLIO TURBO!!
its not as easy as that. think the internals are all different plus the volvo engine runs with 2 ecus