ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo Trophy@RStuning

Da

Less
Got to be one of the fastest/most powerful MK2 Clio's on here?

Paul's is up there at about 360 I believe?

Whatever you did to your Trophy, do it again and market it - you'd be rich over night!

320d
Thats awesome.

He's using a dci gearbox for the longer ratio's iirc. Maybe copes better with the torque too.

DMS

A thirsty 172
They would stop revving at 5k no?

No. That's just diesel engines, the gearbox has nothing to do with the rev limit.

Awesome work Stevie. Spec list needed A.S.A.P, I'm bored of 281bhp already :D

Last edited:
  182Cup, MinesGTR R35
Epic... Im un-decided yet weather to get the HCT or SC my 182 cup... Got the cash just can't decide... Have you got a project thread about this...?

Evo 8 MR
Awesome work....although...I do look forward to seeing how much you sell it for next month. Someone will get a bargain.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
Right, cheers for all the positive comments everyone, I'll try and answer a few of the questions raised.

First off as Hutchie and Ashy pointed out they too have helped me to get the car to this spec, so for that I thank you both :)

Whilst there have ben a few questions about gearbox reliability, yes I have a dci box fitted I don't believe it to be any stronger than a normal 182 box but by not driving like lead foot larry everywhere I'm sure I can make it last a lot longer than "Ben-Stevo the serial gearbox destroter" could on his SC clio LOL

The real key to the power and ease of use has come frome the EC1 ECU. On my previous set up I was running a seperate boost controller to control the amount of boost the car was running the problem was that regardless of throttle position I would still get full boost, admittedly not as fast at part throttle as when you stamp on the pedal but full boost all the same. Now my current set up has the the ECU controlling the boost solenoid, because the parameters have been configured in such a manner that when I'm on half throttle the ECU registers this and realises that I'm not really after a bar of boost and keeps the boost levels sensible, as such it's alot better on and of the gas and at small throttle openings etc... all in very impresive stuff :)

Lionel Richie
well f**k me, well done

i tip my hat!

TDF/RS tuning are the daddies when it comes to mapping/electronics - bar none

now get it down the 1/4mile and prove your worth! :D

Coupe/Defender V8
knows it ^

And Steve has a point Benstevo used to drive that that thing like he was being chased by a hairy German munter everywhere. Bit of TLC goes a long way

DMS

A thirsty 172
While we're on the subject of gearboxes, I'll mention that mine has never broken either. Use the throttle pedal like an on/off switch and you'll destroy gearboxes. Drive it with some sympathy and avoid grinding it and it'll last.

P.S. Still awaiting spec list :p

R26
Wow! Thats some crazy impressive power thats running - makes me look forward to getting my RB into Paul next week even more, cant wait for boost!

f**k me mate !!!!
Thats a fair amount to push out the F4R :)

Well done to all that were involved.

And i'm not gonna ask what it cost but guessing its around 10k + .

As mentioned get some vids up, and if they are you slaying supercars all the better. :)

Audi TT 225 Quattro
wow impressive stuff,315lb/ft:eek::evil: as said any chance of a full eng/turbo spec?:)

Nimbus Megane R26
f**k me dude. Well done!!

Bet it goes like a turd off a well greased shovel!

Get some pics and vids up of the car please dude!!

Very impressive, once you can get the grip it must move like nothing else!

I'd be concerned about the box mind - your putting nigh on twice it's rateable torque through it at the moment IIRC?

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
^^ LOL

My god, for a laugh, you should come around and put your engine in my mk1 valver, then it'll be even faster ;) Well done anyways, very impressive!

Iceberg 172
Jesus... That's a lot of power! I can't help but think it's a waste through the front wheels from my previous experience with 300bhp in a fwd car.

Do you have a LSD? what Tyres are you using?

My polo was useless unless it was bone dry and that was 50bhp down! Lol.

Must be rapid once moving tbh!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
IIRC steve doesnt drive this like he stole it and seems to be quite sensible

I will be attending the next meet just to see this epic monster go, may catch you down teeside one wednesday if you ever get down there

My bro had a 340bhp ibiza cupra and that thing was mental, so I can imagine what this thing will be like :D

Titanium 182
Haswell or something number.

If it is, i spotted a cheeky front mount intercooler last time I saw it in Sunderland.

Well this defo a rare trophy now :}

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
A few people have mentioned traction troubles, obviously foot flat to the floor in first does induce wheel spin however you can still launch it quickly on half throttle. Whilst it was quite wet yesterday on a dry stretch of road I planted it @20mph in second and can safely say there wasn't any wheelspin at all, this was admittedly in a straight line and you can still spin the inside wheel when cornering heavily. I'm looking into a limited slip diff but am not sure whether to retain this gearbox or swap it out for something else so untill then it's staying as it is. I've driven cars with a third of the power that have just been wheelspinning all over the place and I genuinely believe that it's the outstanding clio chassis that give it such grip considering the power. Also the fact that the power delivery is really smooth compared to some turbo'd engines also helps keep wheel spin in check.

A few people have mentioned the costs involved, I did all the work myself (except removing the rocker cover, I really couldn't bring myself to belt a mint condition 30K mile Trophy with a big hammer. So Hutchie did it for me.) so the costs weren't to bad, probably the most expensive area was converting the engine to low compression, people might think "oh it's just rods and pistons" but you also need all the gaskets, new belts and tensioners, the cylinder walls honing,obviously high quality oil, coolant and loads of other little bits and bobs that all add up quickly. For the actuall turbo components I've been quite lucky, there was no real deadline for when it needed to be finished as it's a second car so I was able to be patient and pick up some great bargains over the last 5 months and I'd say all in it'll be around the £5K mark (including the hit that I took when selling on the LPT conversion). Now whilst this might seem to be a bit extreme to some people I could of easily sold the Trophy and had to add a further £10k to it to by something that was going to be a noticeable improvement over what I had, instead I decided to keep my immaculate Trophy.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
That's incredible value, considering that other kits are far more, and return less power.

Any pictures of the full car? Engine bay?

A

ashy_gtt

First off as Hutchie and Ashy pointed out they too have helped me to get the car to this spec, so for that I thank you both :)

Too late now mate, bridges are burnt... Go play with your snow lance!

Barge
Congrats, Stevie. Glad you've got there in the end. I remember the first time seeing it and loving it. Now you've reached this you'll get the thirst for more, I'm sure.

Enjoy, m'dear.

On my previous set up I was running a seperate boost controller to control the amount of boost the car was running the problem was that regardless of throttle position I would still get full boost, admittedly not as fast at part throttle as when you stamp on the pedal but full boost all the same.

was the boost controller trying to control the boost in the plenum rather than the other side of the throttle? I see this quite often, makes them nasty to drive.

My ECU has similar controls to yours, I don't really like it as I'd rather control the boost to the other side of the throttle plate, I'm considering going to a separate boost controller to improve throttle response. Maybe I won't like that when I try it either :D

Clio 172 Cup
1 Massive pat on the back, you've got balls, not just for building it but also trying to tame the beast!

Stagecoach Ticket
340 at the fly hahahaha - Epic build!

one word for you sir: Sick head!

does it not worry you driving it with a compleatly standard set up inside? I know its a mint trophey but surely you should consider full caging and race spec setting/positioning?

guess's at a 1/4 time high 11s?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
340 at the fly hahahaha - Epic build!

one word for you sir: Sick head!

does it not worry you driving it with a compleatly standard set up inside? I know its a mint trophey but surely you should consider full caging and race spec setting/positioning?

guess's at a 1/4 time high 11s?

Matt's 400+bhp stripped clio was mid 11's so i doubt it.