ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Turbo vs NA - and all that torque...

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Nice driving Mark, very surprised you kept with it on the straight, i know once in thrid mine loses a couple lengths to my mates everytime. Focus is a very planted and capable car on the corners too.

MKIII 138
yea forgetting the corners that guy was taking the cup does well to keep up on the straights, ive ben up against one on the road that had exhaust on ad running about 230hp and it pulled about 8 lenghs at silly speed. standard though its more like 4 lenghs at silly speed lol.

has you cup got any mods ?

i cant see the video at work, so dont know exactly what happens. But from what i've read, the focus driver was in front, and stayed in front, even though his driving was bad.

So i dont know if the CUP was all over him, and he was just getting in the way, or if the CUP was just keeping with him. But surely if its the latter, then it shows the RS is the faster car, as even when badly driven it still wins over the RS Clio. So driven well and it should trounce all over a Clio.

The only thing is, most RS Fords are never standard, as tuning is cheap and readily available for fast fords.

Dont get me wrong, i love the RS clio, but id rather have the focus.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
ITG panel, R-sport ECU, Ktec stealth, brain removed before going on track, and no mechanical sympathy or fear of breaching limits whatsoever :D

No real, if any material gains over standard...certainly doesn't feel any quicker than it used to...just a little more responsive...it's always been a "good one". Oh, it's also covered 60k now too.

*** runs ***

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
To David ^^^

He was holding me up in a big way, I had to keep letting off to avoid running into him.

Also, overtaking is by consent only...there were 2 or 3 chances where I'd have comfortably got past and outbraked him...but I didn't want to get black-flagged and sent home.

MarkCup said:
To David ^^^

He was holding me up in a big way, I had to keep letting off to avoid running into him.

Also, overtaking is by consent only...there were 2 or 3 chances where I'd have comfortably got past and outbraked him...but I didn't want to get black-flagged and sent home.

Ah ok then, thats fair enough. Like i said, i couldnt see the video at work.

So in your opinion, do you think it would have been more evenly matched, or faster had it of had someone of equal driving capabilities as yourself.

172, Tiguan
Chris n nic said:
Although that is a good vid it is only showing top end....get a Vectra cruiser that has a 155 top end and the same will happen but it doesn`t mean it is faster in other areas

Chris

I disagree Chris, it was virtually a rolling start from 70mph. The Focus is a quicker, and better car, than a RS Clio.

FF 182, K5 GSX-R1000
Better drivers car but many flaws compared to Clio, eg:

4k+ more
No Cruise
No Climate
No Xenons
Poor sparco badged (not made) seats which sag
Paint problems
ECU problems- two types, one poor cold start/idle the other mis-fire at top
Unable to buy a rear wiper from anywhere inc ford lol
Etc, niggly things but still frustrating

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
Good vid, I expected the Focus to pull a little on the straights...he seemed to start pushing harder when you caught him up too lol

FordFocus
If that was me in the focus RS, id have moved over as soon as i realised you where obviously so much quicker than me, then i would have tried to follow and keep up, as he obviously had no idea about racing line and would have learnt so much about lines and braking points and been so much quicker because of it.

Like has been said before that bloke could have had another 1-200bhp and still wouldnt have made a bit of difference, apart from the straight but the clio would have caught that up after a few corners no problem.

Mark

The Beast MK4
Good vid mate. Lad should have got out your way instead of pissing about doing a mystery tour of the track!

Golf MK7,GSX-R600 L4
excellent vid dude, i'm suprised the clio kept up on the straight cos thats where the power counts....obviously the focus isnt that much quicker than a rs clio.

Lionel Richie
we were quicker round donnington than Pumaspeeds focus RS last year at TGP

i think their car had way over 300bhp (we had no PAS and had to back off past the noise meter in order for our lap times to count)

BMW 330d :)
MarkCup said:
PMSL - next video to come is me pushing an Ultima into a spin at the hairpin LOL

Did the ultima not have the highest lateral g out of all the supercars?

It must have hit oil or had cold tyres ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
PMSL at some of these replies...yes the Focus is a "better" car, a faster car, but is it more focussed or exploitable in amateur hands than my 172 Cup is in mine? Apparently not. I wasn't doing anything special, just feeling what was going on, reacting where necessary and joining the dots (cones).

To David...if he was a better driver in a healthy RS Focus I don't doubt for one second he'd have pulled away from me, but not a great deal...and nothing I don't think I'd be able to grab back on the brakes. That's why I said I was very surprised from the outset of this thread.

What it does show though...is that all this talk about the torque from turbocharged engines being the be all and end all of everything, matters not when you're caning it round a track. From low revs on the road, it makes a huge difference, but on track I kept my biatch spinning above 5k all the time...and the results (poorly Focus excepted) speak for themselves.

Jonaldinho - the clip you see was after about 4 laps of me pushing him along...that's why I had to get so close as no matter what I was doing he didn't seem to grasp that he was holding me up and do the courteous thing and move over.

How's my camera mounted?

100_2806.jpg

Fraser - the Ultima's (there were two of them) had either only just been delivered to the owners and they were too nervous to corner hard, or they had not the faintest idea of how to drive...clip to follow :D

Nippy white cup
jon_r said:
I disagree Chris, it was virtually a rolling start from 70mph. The Focus is a quicker, and better car, than a RS Clio.

Fair doos m8..I thought that the 182 pulled away at 1st then the Focus came past...as meggerman said...forget the bends there are some straights on the vid where the cup didn`t get anymore speed coming out of the bend but stayed with it.....can there be that much different between a Cup and a 182 ;)

Chris

clio 200 F4Rt
mark - pressume thats something you knocked up yourself? looks pretty nifty, has anyone ever questioned it at a track day?

Turbos.
The driving from the Focus owner was disgraceful, i'm not talking the standard as people are entitled to be crap but the fact he didn't let you pass was ridiculous.

If you see him again flash him up at the braking points, this will get him checking his mirror and going off the track. Used to use that trick when i was racing all the time.

172, Tiguan
Chris n nic said:
Fair doos m8..I thought that the 182 pulled away at 1st then the Focus came past...as meggerman said...forget the bends there are some straights on the vid where the cup didn`t get anymore speed coming out of the bend but stayed with it.....can there be that much different between a Cup and a 182 ;)

Chris

I don't have the guts to talk about the lack of pace of some 182's on here Chris! ;)

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup
the bloke who drove that focus needs to go to a drivin skool, cuz fords are one of the best handling road cars around, my ka rools on roundabouts... lol esp against a 1.8sport astra, not raced my bruvas 172 cup round a roundabout yet... think he'll have me :(

Glacier White 197 Cup
Just found this video on youtube so thought Mark may have put a post up here and i was right!

Just thought id bring this thread to light again for people who haven't seen how not the drive a Focus! enjoy

Glacier White 197 Cup
I would have been getting a right temper on with him but you seemed to be relativly calm although he wouldn't let u past!

Good vid and top driving as ever Mark, I think that Focus was running as rough as a badgers arse though, all that smoke it was kicking out.
Just ignore the comments, 'The focus is a better car etc' load of old b****cks it costs twice the price as a a decent 172 cup, should have left it for dead. I bet you were having more fun in the Clio.
What was going on with his driving all over the show, was he having a w**k!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It was his first time out and as said, his car was sick.

Got to stay calm on track...if you let the red mist descend, you see gaps that don't exist, and believe you're Senna/Schumacher/Hamilton etc. on the brakes...not good.

I just bide my time and wait for them to realise. Failing that, a quiet polite word in the pits usually does the trick.

850 T5. mmmm Turbo!
what gets me is that when you arse about on the public highways everyone says, go do that on a race track, yet, all i see on track days are people patiently following slower cars, thats like the Motorway, infact they aint even that patient.

i would of been spitting feathers/pushing that thing off the road!