ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tv upto £500

200 RS 2010
#winning, my company is owned by Tesco so like Tesco employees twice a year we get 20% discount on everything so I bought my Mrs a £450 tablet and paid £360 for it back in July :smile:

Alfa 159 TI, 172 Cup
buying a new TV is harder than choosing which car to buy, the amount of choice is minding numbing.

At £500 I wouldn’t even look at the current UHD/4K nonsense, it’s kinda where HD ready was before they all went Full HD screens,and the panel will be edge lit led uniformity will be crap,you’ll see the led firing in the edge and it will bug the tits off you. Only when the OLED becomes mainstream will it be worth it, that and the screen sizes are big enough to see the extra pixels.

I’m sticking with Plasma for now !

For your reading enjoyment

https://www.avforums.com/guide/the-ultimate-tv-buying-guide.10617

200 RS 2010
buying a new TV is harder than choosing which car to buy, the amount of choice is minding numbing.

At £500 I wouldn’t even look at the current UHD/4K nonsense, it’s kinda where HD ready was before they all went Full HD screens,and the panel will be edge lit led uniformity will be crap,you’ll see the led firing in the edge and it will bug the tits off you. Only when the OLED becomes mainstream will it be worth it, that and the screen sizes are big enough to see the extra pixels.

I’m sticking with Plasma for now !

For your reading enjoyment

https://www.avforums.com/guide/the-ultimate-tv-buying-guide.10617
You can read forums and reviews and so called experts but at the end of the day you just jump for whatever you decide.. if you don't like it just return it in 14 days if you get it from Curry's or Amazon.. I've had my £499 LG TV since March and for me it's quality, I upgraded from a 42" HD TV and I can clearly see the difference, can't see any flaws in the screen and the details stunning. Everythings relative to you, I read everything I can and make my own decisions

Alfa 159 TI, 172 Cup
If you’ve got cash to spend, there some really good used/pre loved TV sets available from AV enthusiasts .

Im rocking a 60” Pioneer Kuro pdp LX6090 which I picked up for £300! This set was circa £3000 when it came out in 08/09 and is still considered a reference screen, with Oled being out of my price range nothing available for a £1k can compete on picture quality ........it’s all about dem blacks

https://www.whathifi.com/pioneer/pdp-lx6090/review

Sorry to go on

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I’m not a tv enthusiast mate. My issue is having to much choice.

That tv seems decent, cheap enough so that’s okay with me :)

Alfa 159 TI, 172 Cup
Mate I’m not even going to click that link lol.

My criteria

1. I can see stuff
2. Picture is better than my 7 year old tv
3. Less than £500.

Done.

What tv do you have now? Just because it’s 7yr old doesn’t mean it’s worse than the current crop available .

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
I thought you may ask. I also thought you may do a comparison to the one I’ve bought and wasted 400 quid. Lol.

So in the name of science, It doesn’t show colour and looks older than time itself.

Alfa 159 TI, 172 Cup

That tv seems decent, cheap enough so that’s okay with me :smile:

You could pi

That tv seems decent, cheap enough so that’s okay with me :smile:

If your using very, just narrow it down using the options on the left of there screen, and go off price or you preferred brand ,there all as flawed at each other at this price point.

As the lad above said make sure you sit down in front of it and if you see anything in the screen like banding etc etc send it back, iv got a mate who bought a £2k LG oled and he went through 3 screens for various reasons before he was happy.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Whilst on the topic of tvs.. my LG is going to blow up soon. It's got a green barcode along the bottom and a weird colour loss effect in one of the corners. Not bad for 8 years.

It's for my bedroom, mainly for xbox and the odd film in bed and I think the current 32' is sufficient, but everyone seems to be on 60'+ mental! Shall I stay at 32' or go a bit bigger?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Just one thing... this is nearly three years old now and tv tech has moved on a LOT. Premium level OLED sets are still the domain of the lucky / rich few but some of the lower- to mid-range TV's (i.e. upto, say, £1.5k) offer very good quality and features. A few notable edge-lit displays can be had for under 1k with good contrast and decent black levels, although HDR brightness and fidelity cannot compete with the premium sets at that price. Generally the majority of cheaper TV's offer good SD, HD (1080p) and UHD (4K) quality for the mainstream but are lacking in terms of how good their HDR / brightness are relative to more expensive sets (and other fancy features that vary between manufacturers). It's just a matter of time until this tech trickles down to a more affordable price and the adoption of 4K / HDR content becomes more widespread.

The best thing, if possible, is to go and check out the TV's first hand if you can (as already suggested). It's a very subjective thing. It might also be that a tv ideal for movie playback isn't so good for gaming due to input lag.

Jonesaaaay93

ClioSport Club Member
Whilst on the topic of tvs.. my LG is going to blow up soon. It's got a green barcode along the bottom and a weird colour loss effect in one of the corners. Not bad for 8 years.

It's for my bedroom, mainly for xbox and the odd film in bed and I think the current 32' is sufficient, but everyone seems to be on 60'+ mental! Shall I stay at 32' or go a bit bigger?
yeah "odd film in bed"...
I wouldn't compare to the 60'+ others have. A mate of mine has a 65' curve 4k TV in his room, nearly £2k for a TV. Laughed when he saw I have a 27' in my bedroom (just use mine between xbox and my PC) - but I sit at the desk with it so anything bigger is just inappropriate - I only upgraded to the 27' in September, was 24' before that for years. For the sake of xbox and the odd film makes no sense to me to get a huge TV - if I take my xbox downstairs to the 50'+ screen I cant play on it from the distance of the sofa to save my life.
Enough waffle. Don't do it. Stick at the size you are used to - unless you want bigger. 'Don't fix something that ain't broke'

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
88C0C18F-F9D5-4085-8FAE-6A08C1027F85.png
Wall bracket fitted, tv on, let’s see what it’s like

Oh and this is the bracket I bought, does the job and cheap

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi all

I'm trying to help my folks find a new 4k tv. I've got an LG 43" myself and it's excellent, can get all the apps such as Netflix, iplayer, itv hub etc so something similar or perhaps even up to 50" would be better.

Needs to have HDR+ and a minimum of 3 HDMI slots. Any recommendations at all?

Doesn't have to be LG, any decent make will do. Has to be under £500 please.

Thanks

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
Just go to your retailer of choice - Currys, John Lewis, Richer Sounds etc - and buy something within budget.

At that price they’re not going to be discerning enough to understand or appreciate the finer details of spec so I’d just get one that they like the remote control of.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
We're in lockdown in Wales so can't go anywhere lol, plus non-essential retail is all closed.