ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Twingo's Replacement....... Martin_172 is Martin_172 again!!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Well s**t got serious today, it failed its MOT on 2 track rod ends, a cheap fix they say...

so I ordered
2 track rod ends
2 inner track rods
2 182 cup extra castor bottom arms
172 cup front dampers
182 cup rear dampers
4x ARB bushes
Eibach sportlines
new top mounts.

Spax adjustables with lowering springs coming off and going up for sale, they may be pretty good (hard to tell due to the worn front end!) but I just wanted to go with a setup ive used before and know works well

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
thought I better update this, ill get a mod to move it to the clio projects section too since this is of course what its turned into lol!!

ordered all 4 engine mounts, coolant temp senor, thermostat and type D coolant...
wp000364.jpg

wp000434i.jpg

removed the powerflow stealth and got a genuine system as I wanted it quiet...
wp000453n.jpg

wp000454g.jpg

alcantara pillars
wp000448.jpg

front end refresh and eibachs
wp000476r.jpg

wp000480y.jpg

retro fitting cruise control, just waiting on the new airbag and buttons arriving
wp000473.jpg

how it stands after off of that and a fresh MOT (needed a set of wiper blades and a lambda sensor)
wp000471.jpg

wp000467k.jpg

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Nae bad big stuff, spunking a few quid on this!

cheers guys

aye john got it cheap enough so thought id spend a bit on it get it driving mint like they should! need to sort out rubber for it as its running brand new budgets all round by the previous owner.

just cant decide between going 15" for cheaper tyres and better feel and using my F1's or going for a set of refurbed 16's, spacers and 197/200 brembos!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I really do love flamers - looking better and better matey.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
was running a bit funny so popped the plugs out for a look, Bosch super 4's or what ever you call them, and only hand tight too!!!!
qaar.jpg

stuck a set of the proper NGK's in, all torqued up to 25nm to stop it blowing them out the head!
gyn7.jpg

standard 16s were in ok condition but not mint, and had a brand new set of budget tyres, so I thought the best bet was to sell them on and find another set to refurb rather than mess about removing tyres and selling them on etc, so ordered a set of Toyo T1-R's for the banging price of £145 and had them fitted to my F1's that I had lying about for the twingo!
1qmu.jpg

ee1a.jpg

lo1b.jpg

Excuse the crap photos only had my Lumia with me, ill get some better ones tomorrow with the 808 PureView

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Update: Done 5000 miles in it since I bought it and so far its been pretty reliable, well for a Clio!!!! all its needed in 5000 miles/6 months is rear discs/bearings, 2 driveshafts, warranty replacement on one of the new shafts a month later, front wheel bearings, reverse light switch and a coil pack :)

Fitted a set of Mintex fast road pads, Brembo HC discs, Superblue fluid and goodridge braided lines supplied by G172 on here, never driven a clio that stops like it now, puts my old 200's brembos to shame!

Gave it a panel filter and an oil and filter change...
6lx5.jpg

ohdr.jpg

got a bit fed up of the F1's and fancied a change...
1m1r.jpg

went back to standard 16's although badly kerbed while searching for a decent set...
dnv8.jpg

bullets were in s**t condition so found someone breaking a low millage trophy...
rn9g.jpg

sourced a set of fresh refurbed standard wheels, budget tyres on them but ive ordered a set of Federal RSR's for them...
4a5u.jpg

1fj7.jpg

got some new style RS mats for it...
bzfn.jpg

that's all for now!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
cheers guys, its a real different car from the shed I picked up :)

although it does owe me about £4000 now inc buying it, but it was always a keeper from the beggining

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Love it. I also love how it looks better on the standards than the F1s. Any other Clio colour and that wouldn't be the case.

I also love you ploughing money into it to get it improved. Good work, and an ethos I fully support :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Love it. I also love how it looks better on the standards than the F1s. Any other Clio colour and that wouldn't be the case.

I also love you ploughing money into it to get it improved. Good work, and an ethos I fully support :)
yeah totally ive had F1s on most of my clios at some point and always loved it but for some reason it just didn't look right on this!

ive had a few 172's and always spent a bit of cash on them then sold them and never got them where I wanted, but this time I decided ill go for it. clutch needs done as its past its best and its got a cruncy 3rd and 5th gear so engine is coming out soon to have the box refurbed, clutch changed, thinking about going for a diff while box is out and ill stick a 182 manifold on it. Gonna get the bay painted along with the engine block etc and get the subframe powder coated

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
It's quite 'clunky' at full lock and low speeds. But you get used to it.

If you're doing quite a few miles and its a daily, a quaiffe may be better. It's not as good as the gripper, but it doesn't need regular maintenance.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Yep, Quaiffe is fit and forget. It doesn't have all the performance benefits of the Gripper, but its miles ahead of no diff.

Gripper needs to come out periodically for maintenance. So that's full box out and sent off to Gripper. Not ideal if you're not handy with the spanners yourself. Depending on how many miles you do / the settings will govern how often it needs to come out.

Its variable though, as some people feel it doesn't do anything. I love it, and noticed the difference as soon as it went in. When Porkie first fitted his Gripper, I don't think he felt it was value for money. Do a search on here bud, it's been kicked about plenty.