ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Two months of CUP ownership

After 15 years of pining to own a Cup 172 I purchased a mint example with just 35k miles in full factory spec in early September. Since then I've put 4 new Conti Sport tyres on it and put it through an MOT which it passed needing nothing more than a hazard light switch.

I'm proud to finally own one and can't believe it's a 15 year old car, but in reality for use as a daily it just doesn't work. Commuting traffic is awful where I live even on a good day an 8 mile drive can take over 30 minutes. Some drives to work will see me drive at no more than 30 mph and use a higher gear than third. Sadly I just cant enjoy this car as it was intended for a blast on a country B road and I'll be honest I wasn't prepared for just how hard and harsh the suspension is. Another thing that iratates me is the awful driving position, you feel like you sit on it not in it.

Have I made a grave mistake in purchasing this car or will it come alive and make more sense the more it's used and in the hope of warmer drier weather? I can't decide what to do at the moment and hope I can drive it the way I imagined I would as an excited 20 year old back in 2002 but at the moment every drive just leaves me disappointed and pondering if I should have bought something else.If I decide to move it on I would look to sell through this forum and would look to sell in the region of £5000.

What with a reduction in speed limits, more speed cameras, speed bumps, fuel costs,road works and traffic I'm left wondering if I will EVER enjoy this car enough to warrant the expense. Is it a case of don't meet your hero or drive your dream?

How did you guys find the early stages of Renault Sport ownership?

Last edited:

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
I absolutely love mine and will never part with it. You should sell yours to someone who will appreciate it...

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Take it out for a decent drive mate. If you bought the car for comfort etc it’s the wrong car choice. Maybe years back when you were younger, the car would have been a better choice

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I really don't get the bad daily comments! I have cup suspension (not interior) and I don't find it bad at all! Although I've never had a beemer etc to compare it to.

I really don't get the bad daily comments! I have cup suspension (not interior) and I don't find it bad at all! Although I've never had a beemer etc to compare it to.
Last year I owned a 2001 BMW E46 330Ci which was a lovely cruising car that was very comfortable but not a drivers car.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
Are you sure you've bought a Clio 172 Cup?
One of these things?
940.jpg

Because what you're saying isn't making a whole lot of sense.
The driving position is spot on in my opinion, and on standard suspension it's pretty forgiving? Yes it's no Rolls Royce, but be honest with yourself, what were you expecting?

Sucks that you can't enjoy it properly due to your painful commute, I understand your pain there as I've been there myself.
But surely you saw this coming when you purchased a 15 year old french car? I use mine as a daily, the only reason I hate it is because I feel guilty watching the mileage going up.

Are you sure you've bought a Clio 172 Cup?
One of these things?
View attachment 1344078

Because what you're saying isn't making a whole lot of sense.
The driving position is spot on in my opinion, and on standard suspension it's pretty forgiving? Yes it's no Rolls Royce, but be honest with yourself, what were you expecting?

Sucks that you can't enjoy it properly due to your painful commute, I understand your pain there as I've been there myself.
But surely you saw this coming when you purchased a 15 year old french car? I use mine as a daily, the only reason I hate it is because I feel guilty watching the mileage going up.
Yes it's a 172 Cup...lol
I'm 6 foot tall and the driving position just doesn't work for me, the more I try to make the position better I seem to make it worse.
I absolutely love mine and will never part with it. You should sell yours to someone who will appreciate it...
Find me a taker at £5k and I will

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
I hear you on the s**t driving position. I'm only a short arse and have Recaros on lowered Jon foz frames and still feel like I could do with going lower.

3 RS200
As above, I get so fed up of my clio during the week commuting.

But late night and weekend trips to Mexico make it all worth while in the end.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Amazing really that these cheap fun cars although not the fastest, draws people back too them.

I think it's the cheap bit that brings people back to clio ownership. Give it another 5 years though and I think a cheap good 1*2 will be harder to find.

But late night and weekend trips to Mexico make it all worth while in the end.

That's a bloody long run from Leeds mate. Try heading to the coast or the Dales, there's plenty of fun to be had closer to home!

Andyano12

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup + more
I've had my cup for just under a year, I don't use it as a daily although did use it last week as my daily to work and also for a run up to Silverstone at the weekend. Yes the car is harsh, doesn't run great first thing in the morning, is a bit noisy, the plastics inside are rubbish, but find a nice stretch of road and that makes up for all the negatives.

All of this is part of the experience and the car would be dull without these things.

Maybe a modern car would be more suitable if you are after comfort and better mpg, although as said in the above post I doubt you will find a good low mileage cup in 5+ years time without paying through the roof.

You couldn't pay me to commute in a 1*2. Agree with everything the OP has written TBH. I remember picking mine up and was horrified just how bad the drive was, it was fun don't get me wrong but it was soooooo tiring! I think it depends what you have been used to as well, I was driving a BMW i3 at the time so it was a total contrast.

I never purchased mine for a daily mind, but as a track project and on that side of things it brilliant and I Love it!

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I run my phase 1 on a/b roads to work 12 miles each way a day
currently its on eibach springs and feck awful Derbyshire back roads
don't get me wrong its not mega comfy but it cruises fine, runs fine in the cold, everything works on it, it returns about 42mpg and when I want to give it beans I can use the even more back roads to work and smile all the way
I'm 34 and getting old, but still love the thing

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Really depends what you're used to. People on here that have only ever had hatches (performance versions at that) will say the Clio is fine for a daily. I used my Ph1 for years to commute. I remember the heavy clutch grating on me in stop start traffic. Seating position isn't amazing, but it's definitely not that bad - at least the seats have side bolsters.

Does yours have after market suspension? Granted it's no E Class, but I don't remember mine being that bad.

Really depends what you're used to. People on here that have only ever had hatches (performance versions at that) will say the Clio is fine for a daily. I used my Ph1 for years to commute. I remember the heavy clutch grating on me in stop start traffic. Seating position isn't amazing, but it's definitely not that bad - at least the seats have side bolsters.

Does yours have after market suspension? Granted it's no E Class, but I don't remember mine being that bad.
No all factory spec/OEM parts

BMW M4; S1000 RR
No all factory spec/OEM parts

Original ?

Because if it's original those dampers will be the reason for the harshness. 172 suspension is cheap as chips too, no excuse not to replace it all. You can do every moving suspension part for about £700 IIRC and it'll make a big difference.

Original ?

Because if it's original those dampers will be the reason for the harshness. 172 suspension is cheap as chips too, no excuse not to replace it all. You can do every moving suspension part for about £700 IIRC and it'll make a big difference.
Did that on the valver - night and day a better drive afterwards!

OP - Surrey's not that far from Wales. Book a travelodge for £30 a night, make a weekend trip of it, come back loving it :)

Alfa 159 TI, 172 Cup
Drop it to £4000 and you have a buyer

You can have mine for £4K

Joking aside iv had mine a few month now, I bought it as a second car to collect my daughter from nursery and pop to the gym after work. I like the driving position and even find the seats strangely comfortable, my biggest problem with it is the huge steering wheel. Iv since fitted a Sabelt R.S wheel, wow! now that is what it should drive/handle like, the standard wheel is far to big and I find myself enjoying the car a whole lot more for that minor change.
Iv always liked the looks of the Clio,and find myself admiring its lines even more since taking ownership as well

Attachments

• 4A62E3DF-F2A9-4728-9BEF-31D052BEF7CE.jpeg
    4A62E3DF-F2A9-4728-9BEF-31D052BEF7CE.jpeg
    839.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 42B1005B-7D73-452D-A80F-42578D4F2B5C.jpeg
    42B1005B-7D73-452D-A80F-42578D4F2B5C.jpeg
    640.8 KB · Views: 67
  Black 197
You can have mine for £4K

Joking aside iv had mine a few month now, I bought it as a second car to collect my daughter from nursery and pop to the gym after work. I like the driving position and even find the seats strangely comfortable, my biggest problem with it is the huge steering wheel. Iv since fitted a Sabelt R.S wheel, wow! now that is what it should drive/handle like, the standard wheel is far to big and I find myself enjoying the car a whole lot more for that minor change.
Iv always liked the looks of the Clio,and find myself admiring its lines even more since taking ownership as well

Looks nice!

Okay thanks there's some good input there with a common theme of taking it out for a blast at the weekend and spending time enjoying it. I've been doing some research of good A & B roads in and around my area to enjoy and I'm open to the idea of taking the car to places away from my area maybe for a weekend .I will look into refreshing the suspension just working out my options in terms of quality and price. I can source genuine shocks for low prices but would consider decent aftermarket options. I do want to replace the steering wheel though as it's just to big and pondering a Megane R26 wheel?

It’s a pretty Hardcore ‘old’ Hot Hatch so it’s going to be a pain as a daily, but accept it for what it is and actually drive it around some good B-Roads etc and you’ll change your mind.

I’d genuinely love a factory fresh 172 Cup. One day maybe..

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Okay thanks there's some good input there with a common theme of taking it out for a blast at the weekend and spending time enjoying it. I've been doing some research of good A & B roads in and around my area to enjoy and I'm open to the idea of taking the car to places away from my area maybe for a weekend .I will look into refreshing the suspension just working out my options in terms of quality and price. I can source genuine shocks for low prices but would consider decent aftermarket options. I do want to replace the steering wheel though as it's just to big and pondering a Megane R26 wheel?

Genuine shocks are all you need, there's no need to mess about with anything else unless you want coilovers and expensive suspension. A full genuine refresh of shocks bushes etc will be spot on for a daily. The R26 wheel is no smaller. As you're a tall guy an aftermarket wheel and boss will have the added benift of moving the wheel a bit closer to you. Also the seat sits on spacers which can be removed to lower it a bit. The runners will catch on the carpet when moving the seat though so something to remember if you have people in the back.

I also have a 172 cup and commute in it daily, through congested town centres, A roads and very bumpy B roads.

It's my 2nd one in fact, having also owned a 172 cup in the past as well as a Phase 2 172 and a 182. I have also owned a number of other cars (German, Japanese, British and some other French cars so I have a lot to compare it to).

Admittedly its comfort, driving position and build quality is inferior to many other cars. I've experienced this for myself when comparing it to previously owned cars. The 172 is also the only car out of the 20 I've owned that has suffered from a blown engine despite being serviced regularly and kept standard.

Did it stop me from buying another one? Not a chance! After a year or so of driving a BMW 325ti and enjoying its comfort, reliability, ride quality and refinement I became bored of it over time and its performance and rear wheel drive wasn't enough to keep me interested (despite being rolling road tested at over 200bhp). I changed from a car with a smooth straight six, leather seats, climate control, ABS, Traction Control and Cruise Control to a 172 cup which has none of those things.

There are times when I curse the Clio - particularly in traffic (due to the heavy clutch) or down the motorway. However, when I get to a good driving road I forget about all its flaws and just enjoy driving it as it was intended. I think there are very few cars in this price range that are as involving to drive whilst still offering a certain amount of practicality.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I used to do a 100 mile round trip to work in my 172 Cup 😂 At the time it didn't bother me that much, just got used to it but, once I got a new car, I could never go back to a 172 as a daily. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Clio and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, but it would drive me mad using it every day. I have done the odd commute in it since and it's just noisy, uncomfortable and horrible compared to more modern stuff. They're a great car, probably the most fun you can have for the money, but I couldn't give up the toys and refinement of a newer/bigger car. I want my commute to be relaxing. Even the Megane annoys me at times to be honest. I can see my next daily being a waft-mobile.

Drive yours on a decent road and you will love it in no time, but it will never be a perfect commuter car, not in the context of more modern stuff. If you can, with it's low mileage, I'd probably keep it for the weekends and buy a boring car to drive to work in. It will make you appreciate the Clio more.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Interesting read. I had a cup new when I was 29 and I loved it. Had a few 172 clios over the years and a valver and Williams. I have been driving a 330ci for 4 years, night and day from the clios, great car though. However I longed for a cup, my memories of it were great, and I think they still look great. So I finally bought another one this year, as a weekend toy. I absolutely love it. Just as good as I remembered. I use it more now than the 330 as its more fun. I'm 44. Don't sell it. It's one of the last true hot hatches . It's not a car to commute in. Take it for some proper drives on proper B roads and enjoy it.

Jamess182

ClioSport Club Member
I used to do a 100 mile round trip to work in my 172 Cup 😂 At the time it didn't bother me that much, just got used to it but, once I got a new car, I could never go back to a 172 as a daily. Don't get me wrong, I still love the Clio and it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it, but it would drive me mad using it every day. I have done the odd commute in it since and it's just noisy, uncomfortable and horrible compared to more modern stuff. They're a great car, probably the most fun you can have for the money, but I couldn't give up the toys and refinement of a newer/bigger car. I want my commute to be relaxing. Even the Megane annoys me at times to be honest. I can see my next daily being a waft-mobile.

Drive yours on a decent road and you will love it in no time, but it will never be a perfect commuter car, not in the context of more modern stuff. If you can, with it's low mileage, I'd probably keep it for the weekends and buy a boring car to drive to work in. It will make you appreciate the Clio more.
Jesus 100 miles a day? What's the mileage on that cup now?

Listerine & Poledo
If it's not doing the job you primarily bought it for, get rid now while it's still an unabused, low-miler. £5k is a strong ask though.

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
Gone past the big 5 Owe, and had my 172 a year- love it. Love its perkiness, rumble on the engine (Modern cars are so noiseless, which makes them appear soulless) altho there is an aftermarket stealth exhaust. Turning ability and grippiness is great too (Coilovers fitted so lower)
Love it so much, my Golf R goes back in month and am gonna use it for a daily over the winter. Wait for 18 plates for a daily.

Get used to yours OP, and maybe even try on a track day. Doesnt really need a Turbo imo. great fun. ive positioned my new Corbeau seats where i want them, so that helps toot

Even the Mrs likes it.........

So this morning I took it out for a drive along a nice selection of roads to a PistonHeads Sunday service at Denbies Vineyard in Dorking. Great selection of performance vehicles both new and old with a wide range of manufacturers on display.

Roads were empty but wet and slippery in places and had witnessed two vehicles that had been involved in accidents all on their own.

Here are a couple of images
upload_2017-11-19_11-56-56.png

upload_2017-11-19_11-57-32.png