ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyre Pressures for 205/40/16s on 172 Cup

Clio 172 Cup
I've been trying to find this out, but the owners manual doesn't list anything for the size and I've not played about enough yet to establish the right pressures for myself, so was hoping to find someone else using this size of wheel/tyre.

The wheels appear to be standard Renault ones, as they are badged so I don't know if they were optionals when the car was purchased. I'm running Yoko Paradas on them BTW.

Thanks in advance.

Trophy No. 440
The RenaultSport manual (the thin one, not the big thick one for general Clios) says 33f 30r.

But that is for 205/45/16s not 205/40s

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
From the Renault Clio handbook page 0.04 and 0.05

When tyres are cold

Normal use)*
Front 33 (PSI) or 2.3 (Bar)
Rear 30 (PSI) or 2.1 (Bar)

Motorway use*
Front 39 (PSI) or 2.7 (Bar)
Rear 32 (PSI) or 2.2 (Bar)

But like TrophyBoy says these are tyre pressure figures for 205/45/16s but you have 205/40/16s

Last edited:
  Leon Cupra 300
and again these are meant to be cold temperatures, so if youve driven to the petrol station you wanna be puttin in 37 and 34 then check them when cooled down, at that its normally just a tiny tiny little bit over 33 and 30 which u can let out

Clio 172 Cup
TrophyBoy said:
The RenaultSport manual (the thin one, not the big thick one for general Clios)...
Haven't got that one, are there any useful nuggets of information in it I might be missing?

Clio 172 Cup
Colin-S said:
Normal use)*
Front 33 (PSI) or 2.3 (Bar)
Rear 30 (PSI) or 2.1 (Bar)

But like TrophyBoy says these are tyre pressure figures for 205/45/16s but you have 205/40/16s
Cheers for that, I'll go with those.

Having had a look around the tables, the differnces is side-wall thickness don't seem to have a difference in pressure so will go with 33/30 and see how it handles from there.

Trophy No. 440
Tripps said:
Haven't got that one, are there any useful nuggets of information in it I might be missing?
It doesn't really tell you very much tbh, other than Tyre pressures. About the only thing it tells you that might be useful is about how to use the repair aerosols if you have a puncture (turn the wheel so that the valve is at the top before filling the tyre, use the aerosols upside down and use both, don't drive over 28mph for the first 12 miles and then check the pressures) It might tell you all of that on the cans, i haven't looked. But then again if you've got a 172 then i'm guessing you've got a spare tyre anyway? I don't know much about 172s. (I don't know much about anything tbh)

I have just noticed that it says if you cannot check the tyre pressures when cold, add 3psi to the pressure indicated, so philmots was pretty accurate in what he said.

Other than that it's all stuff about how to check oil levels and some stuff about the cars dimensions and weights. Pretty boring really. :sleepy:

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Cup
TrophyBoy said:
It doesn't really tell you very much tbh, other than Tyre pressures. About the only thing it tells you that might be useful is about how to use the repair aerosols if you have a puncture (turn the wheel so that the valve is at the top before filling the tyre, use the aerosols upside down and use both, don't drive over 28mph for the first 12 miles and then check the pressures) It might tell you all of that on the cans, i haven't looked. But then again if you've got a 172 then i'm guessing you've got a spare tyre anyway?
Cool, glad I'm not missing much at least. Much as I hate tyre foam, all three of my cars now have the stuff rather than spares, thankfully I've never had to use it, but I've read through the procedure enough times, so hopefully I'll remember when I have to use them in anger!

Mine's a 172 cup, so besides the natty toolset (love the yellow handle) and two cans of spray, it's dead space under the boot.

Car all sorted and checked over now - thanks again for the help.