ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tyres scrubbing.....help needed.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Got my 182 back this morning as its been in the garage having standard front ad rear cup shocks and Eibach sport line springs fitted and it scrubs on the front going round any sort of corner and I mean scrubs badly! I pulled over and noticed in full lock or even half lock each way the tyre is really close to the arch lining near the front of the tyre, why is it scrubbing so badly?

Im running 205/45 tyres on standard 182 cup wheels

Any help would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

Lynden

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
I know he said he had to use the top mounts from the GAZ coilovers that were on it previously, would this cause this?

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
No, it's like the front of the arch lining is closer, so close that is scrubs like mad, it's scrubbing on the arch liner not the arch

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Should be no where near with that setup.

Are you sure they fit the right shocks/springs?

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Yeh 100% because I supplied them......

Had all the shocks etc checked by Renault, it scrubbed in the same place with the coilovers but no way near as bad

Genuinley confused

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Here are some pictures

Its driving me insane haha

Scrubbing on the right wheel

a6d3f137.jpg

ff5bdec7.jpg

how close the tyre is to the arch liner
a1293990.jpg

How the wheel sits (very far forward)

81e2e107.jpg

Left hand side scrubbing in the same place

872c4ccf.jpg

Cant even turn a corner without it doing it :-(

phase 1 flamer 172
is 45 the right profile? ( i have no idea) obviously 40 would give more clearance

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Yeh so I'm told (can anyone confirm this)

What could be causing this though, it's asif both wheels are too far forward :s

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'm guessing it didn't have this issue before you took it in?

Looks well forward, and definitely not what sport lines on standard suspension should look like!

This is brookies with the same setup:

DSC_0865.jpg

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
It was but not this forward.....anything that could be causing this?

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
No but found another post on here of a guy with the same problems so sent him a PM

AG 200 cup
Wheel look abit more forward then it should in that picture and 205/45 is the right tyre size. Probably best taking it somewhere to get it looked at properly.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Yeh I will try and get it into somewhere like Birchdown on Monday/Tuesday (fingers crossed they have space)

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Going seeing Fred @ BTM with it tomorrow, if anyone knows what's wrong with it it will be him!

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Yeh I hope it's an easy fix tbh can't be arsed with all this, just want to drive the car haha

Hopwfully Fred will have the answer

thats called castor, and it seems like you have far to much of it! similar to the way a bike rides. you'll probably notice uneven wear on the tyres too. Adjustable top mounts will solve the issue (ast make a good set but are close to £200), you may even find the coil over top mounts you currently have are adjustable in which case the garage hasn't realised or adjusted them wrong.

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Problem solved, Fred had a look and it has no bump stops on the front.

phase 1 flamer 172
pray explain, i dont really see how lack of bump stops moves the wheel forward in the arch, which i thought was the issue .

Lionel Richie
nothing wrong with the wheel position, just having no bump stops (technical name is actually a secondary damper) = scrub a dub dub under cornering

mharvey

ClioSport Club Member
I just started reading this and was about to post no need to take it anywhere your bumpstops are missing lol.
Your diagnosis of the issue is quicker now than the hours we spent pondering mine haha.

Basically like a racecar

BMW M135i
I've only seen the wheels sit that far forwards in the arches when the car/subframe/wishbone is bent. Thats nowhere near central (ish).

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
Yeh tbh I can't thank you enough for the Sunday visit Fred! A very large case of beer will be with you Friday!!