ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ultimate Build Thread!!?

Turbos.
Wanting to do British GT's in a GT3 Aston, BIG Money though :cry::banghead:. Need to rob a bank I think haha. What about you? When you getting me in your Lotus for these longer races that you've had that has-been :)clown:) Wilcox in for?

You need to join the queue mate... it's amazing how many drivers come knocking for a drive these days. I guess the state of the economy means drives are harder to come by, but it has helped the little Lotus has been hitting some headlines lately. Maybe we should do an AMOC Intermarque race and swap cars ;)

I also want to do British GT, naturally. I'm going to try and get actual sponsorship this year and see if i get a one of the new Bentleys for 2014. Right now, a long way off!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Hey look this is what I do.

Well, I don't build the LMP cars as such, just trim and fit all the carbon parts. And yep, this car was a disaster. I joined prodrive in the wake of this cars failure, utter shed. Pretty lucky to find a buyer for one!

Now thankfully I work for Wirth Research, making parts for the HPD cars.

Aston Martin Vantage
Update 3

Finished bolting the steering rack on yesterday. Also fitted the NS front brake duct...

8230823550_8bc41a833e_c.png

Its currently got a half blanking plate on it at the moment. The blanking plate is used to control the amount of brake cooling as in cooler conditions its difficult to keep brake temperature at a high enough level for the carbon brakes to function properly (Think its something silly like 900[SUP]0[/SUP]C??)

8230822530_7906e2e35c_b.png

Also fitted the third front damper, which controls front 'dive' under braking. So now all the front suspension is complete...

8229759925_6f7e3b93d9_b.png

Hopefully its clear as to how the suspension and third damper all works. If not I can try and explain a bit??

Also fitted the brake reservoir's holder, quite simply tie wrapped to the steering rack..

8229755305_ba6c340bc0_c.png

Today the bodywork came out of storage so had to have a play with putting some of that together...

8229754399_4050d492eb_c.png

8229753527_b82af51131_c.png

E30 318iS x2

Well, I don't build the LMP cars as such, just trim and fit all the carbon parts. And yep, this car was a disaster. I joined prodrive in the wake of this cars failure, utter shed. Pretty lucky to find a buyer for one!

The engine was a disaster the tub it's self is very good by all accounts.

Also fitted the third front damper, which controls front 'dive' under braking. So now all the front suspension is complete...

8229759925_6f7e3b93d9_b.png

Didn't come with proper dampers then still running the crap Koni's lol!

I was expecting the old grpC car....that v8 actually shook the armco as it passed.
Wasn't the straight six a bit pants, too much crankshaft flex or something?

It was the water pumps shitting them selves IIRC.

Petrol Blue 182.

Wouldn't say it's a shed lol, Your Golf was a shed ;)

Great thread!

Aston Martin Vantage
Small update:

Been working on a customers GT4 Aston which is having its end of season rebuild so progress has slowed slightly, however some exciting bits have arrived!

Yesterday we went into Prodrive to see the newly built engine (1st of 2 engines we are getting), on the dyno. It dyno'd at 480ish bhp, which I thought was pretty low but tbh I think its better to have the engine running and usable rather than it blowing up!

8270547746_cb238d8142_c.jpg

8270546758_e13efb9245_c.jpg

8269479249_467f5d5ddf_c.jpg

8269478403_0fd659ae7e_c.jpg

The engine was then delivered today once it had been PDI'd. You can see the alternator pulley which is the part of the engine which fails, apparently the harmonics of the engine cause the pulley drive gear fails and send itself up the front cover of the engine, destroying everything in its path. Obviously issues like this are worked out through development (and usually behind closed doors) but the AMR guys just didn't have enough time to do everything before Le Mans 2011 came round.

Anyway the engine is usable, but doubtful the guy buying the car will ever race it so not an issue anyway.

It block machining is a piece of art!!

8270530584_6a90912774_c.jpg

8270536366_fb0ab31a92_c.jpg

8270535558_93c8a3c810_c.jpg

8269468755_b94e6669cd_c.jpg

8270533558_dd238910b1_c.jpg

8270532418_c4f98b53e9_c.jpg

I also did some work on the front nosecone/splitter/wings body section. Fitted the front dive planes and also fitted the wiring loom and the electrical connectors which connect the loom to the body loom as the nose is fitted onto the car...

8269474239_eb9eb54154_c.jpg

8270538994_27ecf0c7cf_c.jpg

8269472377_72f551076a_c.jpg

8270540976_064bd900c4_c.jpg

Oh and also had to have the front wishbone/upright assemblies off as theres a carbon fibre bracket which sits underneath the front of the tub and comes up the sides which holds all the brake ducts which has to be fitted before the wishbones can go on :mad:. Oh well all fun and games :clown:

Aston Martin Vantage
I would have been VERY busy to get that stuff up and running! Haha. Yea pop over whenever bud!

172 Race Car
Fascinating stuff, thanks for posting.

Whats the owners plans for the car? Just a museum piece or will he use it

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Thanks for sharing, interesting insight.

I now love carbon fibre. My mate has just ordered CF brake discs for his mountain bike from America, bit ott I reckon.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I dunno, I needed some speaker adapters for my car so I made them out of some scrap we had lying around. Just happens to be the most abundant material, otherwise I'd have made them out of marine ply LOL.

Guess this car will make a pretty impressive ornament for one silly rich bloke. Plus building it is a bit like an epic AirFix kit!

Aston Martin Vantage
'Plus building it is a bit like an epic AirFix kit!' with no instructions as well! Haha

The guy who's interested in buying it is toying with the idea of doing some test days in it, however think he is a bit worried about the longevity of the engine (as are we). So he may just have it kept with us or he did mutter about us taking it about once its been built and is running so we can then reassemble it in the lounge of his London home! Complete LAD in my opinion!