ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Under tray insulation

clio 172
Hi all,

Couldn't find anything on the foam insulation underneath the engine so thought I would ask,

Is it a good idea to remove it? Mine has become an oily, sodden mix of foam, grass, soil and god knows what else and is pretty useless. Its sticking out too from the under tray of the engine. It probably provides sound deadening from the engine so may look to replace it with some DIY job.

You can just see the plastic sheeting and oil soaked foam sticky out, no leaks though :)

20140419_150909_zps26d13cd5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I cant imagine it is there to insulate, I have always assumed it was there to make it better at catching drips of oil TBH.

clio 172
Probably no harm in removing it then. I suppose I could always take the dimensions and fabricate a replacement. I think the one in there is too far gone to repair or keep.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I forget which way around it is, but one has it (the foam) and one does not out of early and late anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
My ph1 and my old 182 both had foam.

Interesting, our ph1 and ph2 were different, I think it was the ph1 that didnt have it, maybe its just the very early ph1 that didnt, or maybe it had been removed, Ive seen others without it too.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Could be. Mine is a late ph1 and my 182 was an early one. I don't run with one on atm but I do have one which I've removed the foam from off my ph1. I'll put the foam-less undertray on once I get some m6 (?) bolts.

Mine weighed a hell of a lot when I took it out as it was soaked in oil. I just dumped it in the bin, not noticed anything different, not that you would as it's just a bit of foam.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Ye I scrapped mine too whilst it was off at the garage before.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I wish I still had mine, my gearbox selector seal is dripping oil over my freshly laid driveway,
which is blatantly why the French fitted them.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I wish I still had mine, my gearbox selector seal is dripping oil over my freshly laid driveway,
which is blatantly why the French fitted them.

Cable tie and a 99p sponge. Sorted.

Not that I've ever tried to hide oil leaks...

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
That sounds too pikey even for me,
i'm going to clean the wet patch tomorrow and slide a spare slab under the car,
then clean the spare slab when the oil reaches the edges.

I was going to get Fred to fit a new seal kit,
but everyone that's changed theirs has told me it didn't stop the leak.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Keep a Bag of cement dust handy if you've a new driveway. Oil will be gone faster than that c**t Barry Scott can say bang.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Got two bags of it out the back and a sh*t load of sharp sand,
i'll have to clean it before the weekend otherwise the builder's going to kill me
when he comes to finish tidying it up.

Inferno 182 & Saxo
I removed mine, its a trap for oil and all sorts of grit and filth which just causes it to peel away from the plastic