ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uni Project

I know some may have seen this in another thread but it wasnt my thread.

I have been given the following project for my final year project for my degree (BSc Hons Information Tehcnology):

After some deliberation I have the following project suggestion. The Faculty of Advanced Technology has a Centre for Electronic Product
Engineering (CEPE). This centre develops prototypes for industrial customers. Within the centre there is a need for a web-based tool
that tracks initially the components used within CEPE and each project. On a longer view this tool could be linked to a time management
and project management tool and integrated under the umbrella of Twiki pages. However, the initial spec is for a database and reporting
tool for components. The main features shall include,

- previously used components

- in stock components

- component details (manufacturer description, supplier [multiple], order number, cost, etc). It would be nice to be able to read
some the information from the supplier database (CD/webpage). Main suppliers are RS and Farnell, but there are many others that are used.

- Stock level

- Level warnings (user setable)

- Component check out feature against a project

- Bill of materials used for a project and/or a period

- Order email creation, I.e components are selectable fom the database (new components maybe via the supplier webpage) and then an
email is created with the order details

- Suplier information (name, address, account details)

- Add new components via supplier cd and/or webpage

- Add/remove/edit facility

- Maybe datasheet storage for each component (if applicable)

- Maybe storage of additional information (attachments), e.g. sample circuits, footprints, etc

- Some components have different versions, so a grouping facility may be useful

There are probably a number of other facilities/features required. One important aspect is that the whole webpage can be hosted either on Windows or
Linux. Therefore, open source tools are a must.

Just quickly, what programs/languages should I use to best do this? I ask this as I want to start researching early into the languages.

Cheers

Clio Billabong, Audi S2
Hi,

I am a web developer and i work on Linux with PHP and MySQL or C#.net and MSSQL on Windows Server 2003.

First off, if your planning on using a microsoft technology e.g. C#.net or VB.net then your already bound to IIS on Windows.

If you fancy building the site in PHP, Perl or just abouts anything else then anything *nix is native, but will almost certainly run on windows.

For the open source aspect id use Linux with PHP and MySQL, your entire setup and development is free, and your unlikely to need the advanced libraries of the .net languages. Also i found the support for PHP is alot better online than that of the .net languages, so if you have any problems youll get more answers to them and quicker.

Cheers,

Andy BUrton

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
^^ agree with above, PHP is what you want. Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP is the natural combination but it will also run happily on windows should you wish to do so. Great community support and lots of freebies make it attractive as well.