ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uninsured car- how long have I got before getting a fine/letter?

172DD Cup
no it's not being driven in case you're wondering :rasp:

i swapped insurance to my new car so the clio has been uninsured for a week. it's off the road and it's got tax. i know that doesn't matter anymore, but i'm trying to sell it and want to keep the tax on it for as long as i can. how long do you reckon i have before i get a fine for not sorning it, or will i get a reminder letter first?

Also interested in this as I'm in the same situation. But I think you get a warning letter first before you get a fine. I'd hazard a guess at 2 weeks.

Clio 182 FF cup'd
I left mine uninsured for about 2months when i changed my reg plate over and didnt tell my insurance company of the change.

I eventually got pulled by the police and told to change it over from the old reg. No fine from the DVLA

I got my Audi the beginning of Dec and the Leon was left uninsured for about 6 weeks and I never heard a thing.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I thought you only needed to sorn a car if you have no tax, you can leave it uninsured on your private property for as long as you like.

I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

172DD Cup
just, as in July 2011. i know, surprised me too. has to be sorned or insured now, even if locked in a garage

Suzuki Jimny
My sisters car was uninsured on the driveway for 3 months, didn't receive any letters :)

I left mine uninsured for about 2months when i changed my reg plate over and didnt tell my insurance company of the change.

I eventually got pulled by the police and told to change it over from the old reg. No fine from the DVLA

I've just took a private reg off mine too and haven't told the insurance yet, that is around a month ago now.

Suzuki Jimny
If the tax is taxed, it has to be insured.
If the car is SORNed they dont care.

FYI, they send a letter before a fine, i managed about 3 weeks with the Trophy, then just re-insured it.

It was taxed. Has just been sorned now (they sent a letter)