ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Update on my 172 CUP

Having bought the 172 Cup a couple of months ago, we quickly realised that it hadn't been looked after and the engine needed replacing.

I bought it cheap with an engine noise that just sounded like knackered lifters.

So, new engine went it. Put a new dephazer pulley, cam belt, full service and silkolene Pro 5W 40 oil.

Put the group N engine and gearbox mount in.

And some 15 inch wheels an Kumho tyres.

This is how it looks at the moment.

IMAG00281-1.jpg

This was also fitted

mod-71-11.gif

Along with some Brembo HC discs and Carbone Lorraine pads all round.

Went and did a weekend at Harewood Hill and soon found some major flaws with the car.

I managed to film one lap, which was an Ok time to say I had never been to Harewood before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYAwOR3s-TU

First thoughts on the car are that the gears are too long, not enough low down torque and most importantly, it spins up very easily when trying to exit corners.

To rectify this I am putting the driveshafts from a later 172 in and a Quaife LSD diff.

Also going for a whiteline adjustable ARB and rear camber shims.

These have just arrived and I will be fitting them along with adjustable camber bolts at the front.

IMAG0047.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

I had these on my EVO and they were excellent, so I had them made for the clio.

Also got a pair of these to go in soon.

IMAG0049.jpg

Next hillclimb at Harewood is the 6th June, so I'll see what improvements I have made.

Then when I come back from Holiday in July, I have 4 weeks to hopefully get the throttle bodies and ecu from Ktec to get a decent increase in power and most importantly torque through the rev range and a raised rev limit.

Depending on funds, I may have a Safety Devices Multi point bolt in cage by then and a fibreglass bootlid and bonnet.

By the end of next year I hope to take the record there, but still a long way to go yet.

I'll keep the thread updated as I go along.

It was clever photography mate, it is covered in dents and scratches which doesn't bother me as it is purely for hillclimbs and track use.

The seats are amazing, but I will be amazed if they both go in easily. One is XL to fit my fat ass in it lol.

I will probably have to mount the passenger seat behind the drivers seat.

Looking forward to having the seats and my harnesses in. I was getting thrown around like a rag doll at the weekend.

Clio 172 Cup
Corky

You will like the seats. I have two of these in XL's fitted and a safety devices roll cage. They all fit in.

Used Recaro side mounts and Cobra extra low sub frames.

Let me know if you need any details.