ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgraded radiator

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Hey,

Im wanting to keep the temps down as much as I can for the turbo build so was wondering what upgraded rads people are using?

From my research I've found that the polo one fits but is mainly for itbs as its less tall but not as efficient?

Then I've seen that people have fitted the golf mk3 ones? Are they better at cooling than oem?

Will be running an oil cooler too but going to sort this out first.

@NorthloopCup am I right in thinking you've done some research into the this down the lines??

Thanks

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Personally I wouldn't use a direnza rad again. I'd bite the bullet and pay for a proper spec motorsport core, as they're far more efficient at cooling compared to the direnza items. That's just my opinion though mate!

As a bare minimum I'd frame the rad to stop the airflow spilling around it and not passing through the rad.

Oh and make sure you don't run it without a thermostat. With a decent radiator setup you shouldn't have any cooling issues. A standard size direnza rad should cope well enough though, plus you can reuse the original rad fan and shroud/ducting.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Best upgrade i found for cooling was not actually the radiator, it was a valeo waterpump with cast impeller http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=394&model=6. I went from running at around 80 degree's with no stat (rally car) to running between 58-60 degree's and it giving me headaches from running so rich. I now run a stat and the temps are really stable, worthwhile upgrade if needing to change your pump.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks all, appreciate the replies.

I'm having the belts done soon so will go for the cast impeller and make a shroud for the rad. I'll see how I get on but I've seen two people doing the same conversion as me have overheating issues. Thats using the stock rad.

M135i, 197 turbo
Thanks all, appreciate the replies.

I'm having the belts done soon so will go for the cast impeller and make a shroud for the rad. I'll see how I get on but I've seen two people doing the same conversion as me have overheating issues. Thats using the stock rad.
I assume I'm included in those 2 - it's currently running fine, partially boxed the rad in, with Redline Water Wetter added, and thermostatic oil cooler added for good measure. Intending on giving it some abuse this weekend so I'll let you know if there's any issues, ultimate test is Oulton in a few weeks :up:It wouldn't surprise me if the overheating I had at Oulton last year was in some part down to the knackered first 225 engine, water pump could well have been shot.