ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uprated brake kit - effect on insurance?

Can people who have upgraded their brakes tell me if they declared it to their insurance comp, and if so if it made any difference to their premium?

I would have though you do have to declare it, but I cant see that it would make much more difference. After all, it doesnt make your car faster, if anything its safer as you stop better! The only reason I can think it would increase your premium is because it adds value to your car.

Thoughts would be appreciated! :D

I thought is would help also to say what I would be (possibly!) upgrading too.

Brembo HC Maxs
Ferodo DS2500s
Braided lines

Golf GTD Mk7
It shouldn't affect your insurance really, but its up to you if you want to take the risk and disclose it.

Titanium 182
For a 19 year old it would add about £25 to my policy if I was to fit one so I can't imagine it would make barely any difference if you are a little older.

It depends on the insurance company. You are supposed to tell your insurance company though if making changes like this to your car. I am with Greenlight and all it cost me was £25 for them to change the paperwork (Brembo HCs, DS2500's and braided lines).

172 cup
I've heard of some insurance companies knocking down the price with uprated brakes, wasnt on a clio though

www.renparts.co.uk
wouldn't mention it myself as the braided lines could just have been replaced OEM ones same with pads and disks, doesn't mean you asked for that type to be fitted.

^^ Fair point.

That is the issue really, obviously the pads make no difference (and the hoses), so the only other thing is the discs, which is a really minor item in itself.

I may leave it then if I decide to go ahead, unless anyone suggests the contrary!

Would there be any difference between the Ferodos and the Brembo grooved, and the KTR brake kit, which includes the Ferodos and their own grooved discs?

Always declare!

My company only considered the discs as a modification.

So apparently it's ok to crash while running touring car pads because you couldn't stop before they were warmed up and working LoL

Ibis A3 BE
Can people who have upgraded their brakes tell me if they declared it to their insurance comp, and if so if it made any difference to their premium?

I would have though you do have to declare it, but I cant see that it would make much more difference. After all, it doesnt make your car faster, if anything its safer as you stop better! The only reason I can think it would increase your premium is because it adds value to your car.

Thoughts would be appreciated! :D

I thought is would help also to say what I would be (possibly!) upgrading too.

Brembo HC Maxs
Ferodo DS2500s
Braided lines

I had the exact upgrade you mention. Insured through Adrian Flux and they have added it as a modification note to the insurance. No charge for it though.

Forgive my n00bness, but what purpose do the grooves serve? I had the idea that they were a sort of wear indicator, so when the grooves disappear, the disc is pretty worn.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
the grooves increase bite from the pads to disks. and allow better cooling of the disks due to the larger surface area.

PH1 172
It depends on the insurance company. You are supposed to tell your insurance company though if making changes like this to your car. I am with Greenlight and all it cost me was £25 for them to change the paperwork (Brembo HCs, DS2500's and braided lines).

+1 as you only pay a £25 admin fee to add any mods to the policy and doesn't affect the premium at all. The only time greenlight may increase the premium is when you add mods that increase bhp.

All depends on your insurance company whether they are the same as greenlight or not but I would declare all your mods mate especially a new brake set up as if you read the policy it will state something like "Any changes made to the vehicle that is not done by the manufacturer is classed as a modification and should be declared" something like that anyway lol

PH1 172
How would you rate this setup then? Worth it? Noticeable difference?

I have Brembo Max discs instead but there is not much difference compared to HCs apparently and if that is true then you will love the set up as my brakes have been used on track and they perform very well!!

Ibis A3 BE
I have Brembo Max discs instead but there is not much difference compared to HCs apparently and if that is true then you will love the set up as my brakes have been used on track and they perform very well!!

Sorry, just to clarify I have the Max Grooved Discs, not the HC's. I'm sure they will be pretty similar in performance though.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Does everyone who buys disc and pads from Kwik fit tell there insurance? No different IMO.

Only told my insurance cos the price didn't go up.