ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uprated engine mounts - worth it?

182 Bean
Hi all,

only just bought my 172 ph1.

Was wondering if the uprated engine mounts really make such a difference and are worth their price tag of £200ish pounds?

Also whilst on the subject, is the Powerflex Dogbone Mount worth the hassle of fitting?

many thanks,

jan

182cup & 172 racecar
Dogbone yes,engine mounts not really.Just get some new standard ones cheap as chips and it will make a difference.

182 Bean
my brother fitted uprated engine mounts to his 106 gti and says its the best mod he has done to the car.
Just surprised that people have quite a varied opinion on here regarding them...but each to themself I guess

Always trust your opinion rob :)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The standard mounts are quite good on the clio TBH, the dogbone being the weak link, which is why it's upgraded.

I'm not sure how handy you are, but if the answer is at least "quite", then doing the dogbone is ok.

It's just getting the old bushes out that's a bit of a pain.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Best place to get the dog bone mount from? Also is it a big job as I might put it on the list of things to buy

Dan.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Loads of places sell the uprated powerflex bushes to go in the mount, just google it.

The pig is taking your one off, and removing the existing bushes.

340i
I had no vice. :(

It's the metal sleeve on the big end I always struggle with.

36mm socket iirc... put it on top of the metal sleeve, two hits with a hammer and it all drops out.

I did one the other week and it took 25minutes to fit the powerflex kit.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Mke sure your dash is nice and tight if your fitting a powerflex dogbone !! :D

53 Clio's & counting
I had the uprated mounts and prototype Purple power flex bushes on my old one and the only difference was a slight vibration at idle - this time round just dogbone for me - bear in mind iv never found them harsh at ll

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
I would say that yes they are worth it, although most opinions in here seem to vary.
I went from stock mounts to fully uprated ones in one hit, so couldn't tell you how much difference doing just the dog-bone would make.

Make the car feel much better IMO, would definitely recommend them :)

Clio Sport 172
off topic but my car makes a horrible noise when you give it the beans in 1st and 2nd ive been told engine mounts will solve this..... is this the case?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
As above, i went from OEM to All engine mounts and Dog Bone uprated in one hit.

There is a little vibration now through the car as its so much stiffer, but IMO its a small sacrifice for the 'sharper' feel when putting load through the engine and lack of movement from the front end now.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ive just ordered a dogbone mount. Getting it fitted on the 26th, will report back then

Dan

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Unsure of the colour but ive been told the twisted one is for the ph2 and the normal one for the ph1? Ordered mine through DemonTweeks so pretty sure it will be right

Dan