ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent help needed please! Car wont start

Golf R/Leon FR
Not my car but my brothers Megane 1.4 53 plate,

he was trying to jump start his 306 diesel as the battery was flat, had the megane engine running, went to connect the jump leads to the megane and as he did the megane died!

All dash lights, exterior lights, wipers, radio etc work, but the car itself wont turn over at all.

Any ideas? fuses? or something more serious?

Nicolasticity

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172+MG+SAAB++
Had a battery die on a Clio in similar circumstances. Working fine one second and then nothing. New battery everything was OK

Da

Less
Did he short the leads out?
Did he connect them to the 306 or not get that far?

Personally I would never try and jump start a diesel car from a petrol car as diesels have far higher cranking current.

If he connected the leads he's probably fried the Meggy's battery.

Golf R/Leon FR
he connected them to the 306 first, then the megane. the back wiper works but not the fronts, so could be battery and fuses?

Da

Less
Did he try and start the 306 or did it die before hand?

He could have blown fuses yeah, it's unlikely though.

First thing to try is a new battery.

Golf R/Leon FR
no as soon as he put the leads on the megane it died! comes up with electrical fault on the dash now?

ill ask him to check the battery and fuses, cheers

Da

Less
Universal Control Hub and yes, it's expensive as it's locked to the ECU. Basically it controls all of the none esential electrical equipment, like wipers for instance.

BMW M135i
blown uch or injection computer i expect.
I'll go with that, never never never jump start a modern car off another or vise versa. Booster pack or take the battery off and charge it seperately.

Seen a few meganes killed like this now, including one I wanted to buy :dapprove:.

Expensive lesson coming up methinks.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
did he put the leads on the correct terminals pos to pos neg to neg?
my mate made the mistake of putting pos to neg and neg to pos killed the battery and fucked the ECU was an expencive mistake ecu for a 08 330d aint cheap :dapprove:

Golf R/Leon FR
he said he cant remember mate, which makes me think he did.

ill ask him see if he's had a look at it today