ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent help please before I crash my car :( lol - Front heated screen

Clio 182
Hi All

really hope someone can help with this as I have just had one treacherous journey to work...

Yesterday whilst driving, with the heaters/front heated screen on full in my 182, it just went off - all the lights still on, all of the buttons operate but nothing is happening.

Im hoping its just a blown fuse, but if the fuse had blown, wouldn't the lights on the unit be off too ? (I can still turn the temp figure up and down or select any options i like on the heater unit, its just nothing is working)

Really need to get this sorted before the end of work today so that I can safely drive home as the inside and outside of the window just keep re-freezing up when driving along, and De-Icer just makes things worse

Thank you

Mike

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Check the fuses first but its more likely going to be the speed control resistor pack that has died.

Mick

BMW M135i
Assuming it's not a Cup dead PWM pack without a doubt. Either new one at circa £100 or you can replace the power transistor for much less if you are handy with a soldering iron.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
If you go to your car, under the drivers side scuttle panel you will see 2 plugs, unplug the one on the right hand side and stick a bit of wire in plug 1 and 5 (the 2 outside holes).

If that makes your heating come on full blast then your resistor pack is goosed.

Clio 182
Damn, yep its a non cup 182. Are the Renault traders on here any cheaper than normal parts suppliers/motor factors ?

Anyone have the part no?

Liam cheers mate I will give that a go, don't suppose you have a pic of the plug that you mean ?

cheers
Mike

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Remember theres always someone breaking cars on here! I got a second hand one for 30 quid which solved my problem!

Clio 182
Think im just going to replace it with a second hand one as you and Emma say Liam. I have been quoted £66 delivered from a scrappy with 1 months warranty. I will put something in the wanted section on here too though. Want it cheaper than £66 really

cheers all

I used the eBay shop of the link I put up. £30 and a years warranty. Mine works perfectly once I got it back.

Its not a 2nd hand unit, you post yours too them, they fix it then send it back.

Clio 182
Yeah its a good idea Emma, and during summer i'd probably take that option too, but with these frosty mornings, I need it back up and running asap. Gonna either have to bite the bullet at £66 from scrappy, hope someone replies to my wanted thread tonight, or failing that go to Renault with my pants down :(

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Bridge points 1-5 on the connector. Constant fans then.

Not ideal even as a temp measure as the wire will get warm, melt the plug and potentially start a small fire. I've seen people even try this with domestic wire and it still melts the plug and runs the risk of fire.

Fix it right or don't fix it at all.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I said you risk a fire not it would with all certainty burst in to flame.

Clio 182
Going to phone Renault for a price tomorrow. Its £66 delivered from cheapest scrappy so far but only 1 months warranty. If its £100 for a brand new one - thats tempting although depressing

Clio 182
Im going to go for the Repair service Emma suggested.

Can anybody tell me how to remove the scuttle panel and heater pack please ?

(I am going to give it a go at work on my lunch today)

Thanks Mike