ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

urgent help with rear wheel bearing!!!

Clio Sport 172
About 3 weeks ago i had rear pads and discs fitted. To cut a long story short on Sunday i ended up getting towed back home due to the rear wheel bearing colapsing.

What i need to know is are the wheel bearings seperate on the rear i.e. is there bearings in the discs AND on the rear wheel? As i think the garage are trying their best to say they are seperate and avoid blame for what has gone on. Cheers

Clio Sport 172
Anyone? All i need to know is if the only bearings in the rear are those which are pressed with the brake discs. As if they are then its the garages fault that theyve collapsed

C

Cupster

As far as I know its just the ones in the discs. Hence you should always replace when new discs are fittted.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk1
About 3 weeks ago i had rear pads and discs fitted. To cut a long story short on Sunday i ended up getting towed back home due to the rear wheel bearing colapsing.

What i need to know is are the wheel bearings seperate on the rear i.e. is there bearings in the discs AND on the rear wheel? As i think the garage are trying their best to say they are seperate and avoid blame for what has gone on. Cheers

the rear disc wont fit with out the wheel bearing being pressed in. ideally you would of put new bearings in the new discs prior to fitting, but in theory you could re use the old bearings.... if thats the case here then the pressing out and back in of the old bearings may of weakened them and caused the subsequent collapse.

hard to blame the garage unless they fitted the disc incorrectly, or if they supplied and fitted all new parts, (discs and bearings)...

on the plus side you can put a new bearing in an old disc or in this case a not so old disc.

Lots of Alfas
If the garage re-used the old bearing i wold be very happy. For a start it must have been very hard removing them from the old discs without damaging them. Another pointer is if the garage tightened the hub bolt too much, this can damage the bearings. A lot of garages dont check the correct torque setting when its probably the most important one on the car to get right..

Clio Sport 172
thanks for your replies. Having spoken with the garage they have said that the discs i supplied already had the bearings pressed (which i thought was the case). They have said the bearing collapse was due to the disc being manufactured incorrectly. Is this a common occurence? The problem being that i bought the discs off someone on here, so unless they have a copy/recepit of the invoice then i am a bit stuck on that front. I have tried to call the garages bluff by saying that i want the part to send back to the manufacturers for them to confirm which they havent tried to object to. Any help on moving forward with this one or am i a little stuck?

Clio Sport 172
genuine renault parts?

i know of 2 NEW ones that have done that

As far as i know Fred yes though i would need to confirm

The thing is, how do i go about proving what is a manufacturers fault and what is an incorrect fit.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
if you just bought them off joe bloggs on here you dont unless they have the original invoice

Clio Sport 172
i have now been told i need new discs, an abs sensor and a hub restoring (as opposed to shelling out for a new one) £260. Does this sound about right? £57 + VAT for an abs sensor i thought they were much less than this? The garage are still refusing to admit any liability and say theres no way they could have fitted them incorrectly!!

megane 225
word of warning
GSF charged me close to £170 for a set of rear discs with bearings...........renault?? £95!!!
it sounds crazy but give renault a call, i was gob smacked.
But then again saying that mine have just failed (after 2 months!)