ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent! picked up 2002 172 and now the exhaust is hanging!

Bought from renault dealer, car fine for 2 days

got a bit blowy yesterday (exhaust back box tone)

and got home now and its very loud on acceleration:

looked under the rear with a big torch and the back box area is hanging down to the right? I can see a metal arm going into a rubber X shape on the left...but just hanging, and blowing through the back box

WHAT THE HELL!! help

Thats all good & well taking it back to them...if i could!

wondered how come its hanging?! cant see any bracket on the right as you look down the system near the back box

Work commitments!

Had a closer look, the weld where the actualy back box joins the pipe which sweeps over the rear beam type area has a big rusty crack!

just the back box is hanging off...meaning whole new cat back required!!

Will phone the dealer, then the recovery people. Its barely driveable as it may fall off.

Audi RS4
Mine went about 2 months ago,exactly the same thing,just hanging off,I still managed to drive 8 miles to have it sorted though;)
Had to have the backbox and mid-section replaced:(

Audi RS4
Was just out of warranty but I'm not sure if it would have been covered anyway-wear and tear.Took it to Renault,they said it would be a week before it could be fixed,so I turned straight back round and went to Kwik-s**t(not ideal,but was desperate),Took them 2 hrs!!!
Cost £300 and (touch wood)its been fine.

Audi RS4
Martin_89 said:
ouch you could have had a nice sounding aftermarket zorst for that money!

Yeah,I looked into it,but wanted it done ASAP with least fuss,plus I didn't want a 'noisy' zorst!;)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
magnex are quiet and also jetex. take it back they should honour a new one seeing as you've only had it a couple of days.

VW Golf TDI
I had the same problem the other day mate, they can cut the exhaust and clamp a new backbox onto the old centre section, mine snapped off I got it done at national tyres £120 for new back box they fitted it in under half hour, the dealer want £180 for a new back box and bout 350 for centre back, the rubber x thing is 18 pound as well,

Yup grant has hit the nail on the head - What an eventful day!

work all day "out in the field"

100 calls later and YES! free recovery to renault dealer whilst i work! (even thought it was driveable...just very loud blowing and rear box hanging at 45 degrees to car

Call dealer, yes it will be looked at and sorted today

come 3pm no reply :( call and the dealer says "yes your job card is there...but wont make today as we have too many recoveries to look at today) DAMN!

anyway, get in 5.10pm, give em a call as they close at 6 - Yes sir, your car is ready for collection, new exhaust parts all fitted WOO!

Grant was right, they must have cut off the old rear box, rehang with new rubber X...new clamp in position and voila! Totalling £187 for free.

ADVISORY: the front section has a minor blow which can be heard at times - great why not just change the whole flamin cat back I wondered!

nevermind all done. :)

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
If there's a hole in your exhaust under your car you're going to start to get headaches. It's carbon monoxide poisoning. Even a little hole will allow gas to seep into your car when it's standing still. I found it was pointless filling in holes, just blew it out when you open the car up. You need to get it replaced.
Cheers, Rob669