ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

urgent! removing driveshaft

80MPG BEEZA
trying to remove my drivers side driveshaft, i have the track rod disconnected and ball joint ect, the driveshaft is moving freely, undone the 2 13mm bolts on the metal housing on the driveshaft but it still wont come out? how is it removed?

LY 182
so you have onedone the plate that holds the bearing in the carrier? the bearing will be seized in the carrier you can either go through the other side and knock the bearing through with a hammer or just tap the actual inner cv joint casing with a copper hammer to pull the bearing through

80MPG BEEZA
the driveshaft isnt ceized the bearings are moving freely inside of the carrier just the shaft or carrier wont come away from the engine?

LY 182
well its seized on the splines then, either way give it a tap

check it dosnt have a roll pin through it close to the gearbox end, i dont think 1*2's do though.

stop being a tart and hit it, lol

80MPG BEEZA
right we've taken 2 nuts off the carrier and 3 bolts off the carrier/bearing that bolt into the engine block and the thing still isnt coming out!

LY 182
stop being a tart and hit it, lol

*erherrmm*

on the 1.2's they dont even have a bearing carrier, and the ones that dont have a roll pin nothing at all holds them on the gearbox splines, they tend to seize over time though and can sometimes take a good few whacks to get them moving

LY 182
the boot held on ?

its clipped on with a clip either end.
i've never took an inner gaiter off you may have to post a pic, but i *think* the cv joint is a part of the shaft and as such you need to stretch a stretch gaiter over it

if it isnt one peice, its either a knock off type which you tap off with a hammer, or clipped on which you undo with circlip pliers

80MPG BEEZA
here's the suspect

HPIM0359.jpg

80MPG BEEZA
as you can see the boot is like inside/outside lol i dont know how we can get into the back of the carrier housing either so we can take the bearings off and clean them up and if we'll get away with putting a boot over the carrier rather then being pressed in? like it is in the pic

LY 182
well the bit you have in your right hand just pulls off of whats in your left hand, that will leave you with a tripod joint with 3 bearings on it yes? there should be a circlip on the end of that tripod,
take that off and the tripod comes off

edit - im pretty sure its that type of joint, i've never looked at a 1*2 one as said and its a bit hard to see from that pic

RB 182 Cup
right managed to slide a new boot over the whole shaft lol laughing the whole time as we have no idea how we got it to stretch so much without splitting, hopefully this will do rather then a new shaft but it will be enough for a temporary fix :) repacked with new grease

1.2 clio grande + 172bhp
u can't really do i good repair on that bit of the shaft u need a new one, trust mi i'm a renault mechanic

80MPG BEEZA
well tha end of the shaft doesnt reallt move so it has 2 clips on it pulled very very tight it'll last me till i get 2 new driveshafts that i can have polished up :)