ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using K-Seal (rad weld), is it advisable or not?

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Was driving today and noticed a slight bit of steam from the bonnet. Had a look and the water was a bit lower than the other day and there was a definite leak. Called the AA just incase it was a loose hose they could sort, but he said the side of the radiator was leaking (where the metal joins the plastic) and that if I wanted he could use K-seal.

I was a bit dubious about it so I said no, although he reckons that the AA recommend it and even as a permanent fix. I just don't want to put it in there if it is going to clog up the rest of the system.

Has anyone used this stuff with good results and no problems in the past? Or likewise, have any of you used it and wished you hadn't.

Patrick

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
For the price of a radiator, I wouldn't bother using it.

However, I have used it (2 bottles! lol) on a mates omega V6 and its still going strong nearly 18 months later.

I think if the cars a cheapie and you're not eorried about it, use it. However if the cars actually worth something then its worth buying a new Rad.

They reckon it won't block waterways etc, personally I'd rather fix it properly than pump shite around the engine. My main issue with it is if you get a slight water pump leak and don't notice, then that stuff tries to gum it up. Could f**k a water pump rather quickly without you noticing too late.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
Given that I am skint and currently have no job I was hoping (but didnt expect) that you would all say it was great and to crack on lol. Oh well, looks like I will even poorer by the end of this week.

Anyone know how easy it is to replace a rad? Do I need to remove the bumper/grill to get at it all?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The water pipes are in the right place so it should be fine.

Infact, i've got two spare ones down the yard.

£45 posted and i'll send it out weds.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
The water pipes are in the right place so it should be fine.

Infact, i've got two spare ones down the yard.

£45 posted and i'll send it out weds.

Used I assume? Tbh GSF are doing 30% off until midnight so I might be better off paying £63 and getting a brand new 1 tomorrow. Thanks for the offer though.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Oh in that case definately.

I can't do it any cheaper than that as it will cost me £15 to post it.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I've used Radweld in my 172 and not had any problems with it clogging up the cooling system. It lost a bit of coolant a couple of times a while back so I put a bottle in the header tank and its not lost a drop since. That was over 2 years ago.

330i. E30 Touring.
If you're mega-skint, an egg will do exactly the same. Ish.

Please note, this isn't a Failsport customer car style fix, lol.