ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

v6 decat/engine light

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

Dear all,

I have searched numerous times but I have yet to find an answer. Will decatting the v6 definitely get the engine light to come on? If so, how can I permanantly get it off? Is there a chip or device I can buy? If the engine light stays on, will it affect performance?

Thanks a lot

Answers are yes the light will come on. As I recall it will take 5 drive cycles for you ECU to make the decision that there is no difference in air quality pre and post cat, due to your cat either not existing or just being empty. It doesnt affect performance at all as mine has been on for some time now. You get used to it. I seem to remember Yoz was close to a fix for it though.

E91 M Sport

I drove my Clio V6 for 3 months with a full decat, and the engine light didnt come on once.

When it did come on, it was caused by a faulty camshaft sensor.

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

ok thank you. so i guess i will just go with the decat and leave the engine light on until someone comes up with a chip or something that will fix it.

thanks a lot guys

I have a 182 which I have been driving with a decat for the past 4 6 months with no light. Went on a 2 week holiday and now the light is on all the time.

Its really annoying me for some reason!!

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

its wierd how it doesnt affect the performace though. ive driven other cars with sensors before and after the cat and had the cat taken out. the engine light comes on and the car does lose power

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

has anyone tried this? will it actually work? I dont understand what kinda reading it gives off to the ecu though, cuz every cars second exhaust reading should be different

ford racing puma

this is the reply i got off the when i asked about it:
"We do ship to the UK and this sim should work on your Renault".

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

Quote: Originally posted by zippyy on 04 August 2005

you could get one of these, but its a bit expensive to put a light out.http://www.rwmotortec.com/product.asp?productid=106www.rwmotortec.com/product.asp?productid=106

Will this work for sure though? Or does it just turn off the light temporarily and it will come on again. Any car with an engine light, the light can be resetted with the scanner, but then it just comes back on after a while.

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

So I guess there isnt a way to get around it.

I am planning to decat this weekend. Guess I will have to buy one of those O2 sensors and give it a try.

I am surprised a few guys had decatted their V6s here and yet there is no solution.

Who else has decatted their V6s here? I want to ask them for some opinions.

Thank you,

Bob

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

So what do I with the second sensor? Do I just fit it back into whole and let it read the readings without cat?

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

there wont be a hole for it, just tie it up somewhere and tape it up.

the second sensor is more of a check sensor, if that device can get a reading for the upstream sensor, and work out a safe value that the second sensor should be reading, it can feed the value back to the ECU.

Pretty sure this is how itll work.

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

So I just leave the sensor hanging outside? There should be a hold on the stock exhaust system to put the second sensor into. I can just drill a hole on the new exhaust and put that sensor back in right?

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

the second sensor is more of a check sensor, if that device can get a reading for the upstream sensor, and work out a safe value that the second sensor should be reading, it can feed the value back to the ECU.
Dont really understand this. Please elaborate

2005 Impreza WRX STI

put a de cat on and do not plug the second sensor in! wrap it in tape and ty wrap it out of the way! it will not bring the light on! or effect performance! u will just gain a bit from the de cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

we are half way through developing a "gadget" to give the correct signal to the ecu to keep the toxic emmision light out.

it will be about £60...

in testing now.

Andy
GDI

Forester Sti, SC Clio V6,

PLIERS - free!

Get a spare dash module from Scotty6r4 - kill the lamp and fit it - probably keep your mileage down as well;)

Clio RS 172 Ph2

If you take the dash cluster apart, you find that the light is an LED on the PCB so its not so easy to kill it, however, its not difficult to pull the fascia away and fill the hole between the dial fascia and the LED itself with a bit of cork or something which will stop the light showing when viewed from the front.

I was thinking of doing this on mine until we finally sussed out what was making the light come on in the first place (mine is NOT de-cat)!

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

Quote: Originally posted by Andy GDI on 06 August 2005

we are half way through developing a "gadget" to give the correct signal to the ecu to keep the toxic emmision light out.

it will be about £60...

in testing now.

Andy
GDI
When will this be done?

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe
  V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

"with the light on the car is in reduced power mode mate."

"also...the front pipes have expansion chambers in them...THEY ARE NOT CATS..the v6 has ONLY 1 CAT ^^^ part number a couple of posts up...^^^"

Read this from another post regarding V6 cats. So does the decat affect the performance or not?

2005 Impreza WRX STI

thats b****cks about the reduced power mode surely? serv light? mines on and performance is not effected (abs causing it tho)

V6 Mk1/Beat/E320/Mcoupe

Just cant tell in the drawing if the cats are removable from the down pipes or built into the down pipes. Anyone have a definite answer? From the drawing, it is certain that the V6 Mk1 only has 2 cats. One after each header pipe.