ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

V6 = extra expensive brake pads.

Just had a quote from renault for the following for the v6:

new front and rear brake pads

change of brake fluid

oil change

Cost? £854 (eight hundred and fifty-four pounds!!!!!!!!!!)

Got a quote from a second renault dealership for the same: £745

I cant help feeling they are taking the p**s

I could get discs and pads all round on a porsche for that money.

I feel a bit of DIY coming on.

Anyone with a mk1 v6 know if there is anything out of the ordinary when changing the pads (apart from a mahoosive wallet stuffed full of cash of course)

Clio v6

Seems a reasonable price? but I suspect DIY would be cheaper saving on Renault labour rates.

Reasonable price?!? Are you mad?

Even buying proper racing pads and doing it yourself you could probably do it for £500!

*note: this is guesswork so do not quote me* lol

172 ph1

I think they are taking the p*ss, but it does sort of add up:

Pads around £300+

Oil £50?

Brake fluid £a small fortune no doubt

4 hours labour and some tea breaks at £75+ per hour

You end up around £700+vat

Ferodo DS3000 pads cost around £130 front and £110 rear. Green stuff are around £75 front and rear, not that Im recommending either, but definitely cheaper than Renault.

Someone on here must have a cheap source of pads!

v6 mk2

u can get pads for a lot less than that though, depends on if you or someone you know can fit them for you. Stusv6 has EBC redstuff pads on the rear of his v6 and he told me they seemed to work well. I thought my rear pads were knacked a couple of months ago and a thread was started, try a search on here for it. I priced EBC redstuff rears from Livingston Autoparts, they can do them for £49 with £5 for postage. Their number is 01506 433909, i couldnt get a better price than that!! Renault wanted £280 for rear pads for mine!!! im holding off getting new pads until they are done!! ;)

Ian.

Clio v6

Quote: Originally posted by cliov6-230 on 22 June 2005
oh and i forgot to say welcome to v6 ownership!!whatever you do, dont damage the front wings!!!!! :eek:

Oh and, it was the cost of the side skirts which made my MK1 an insurance write off :eek:

v6 mk2

yeah, i forgot about the sideskirts!!! i was looking at prices in the evo buying guide and after the wings i closed ma eyes.

Ill be taking it steady then!!! ish! ;)

Quote: Originally posted by skinner on 22 June 2005

I think they are taking the p*ss, but it does sort of add up:

Pads around £300+

Yep thats correct

Oil £50?

Supply your own oil £69 delivered for 24lts

Brake fluid £a small fortune no doubt

Brake fluid change £60

Ferodo DS3000 pads cost around £130 front and £110 rear.

I thought it was DS 2500.........and the prices are correct

Green stuff are around £75 front and rear,

EBC say GREEN stuff wouldnt be rated for the Vee so it has to be RED stuff pads

Someone on here must have a cheap source of pads!

As said before Red stuff are £68 F & £70 R...........I have the rear on and no complaints

Cya Stu

Brum just ask for an EBC leaflet next time youre in a mtorfactors or Halfords and all will be explained :)

Cya Stu

PS they also do Black stuff & Blue stuff............Black is a straight OEM replacement and Blue stuff is for track only as its temperature sensative......if that makes sense!

Red Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus RS

No, theyre the compounds. EBC is the make.

Green Stuff and Red Stuff for fast road, Yellow and Blue for track.

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Do EBC do pads for Mk2s? Fronts are different surely tho they only list "2001-".

Quote: Originally posted by Red Cup on 22 June 2005

No, theyre the compounds. EBC is the make.

Green Stuff and Red Stuff for fast road, Yellow and Blue for track.
think we all worked that out:D

Quote: Originally posted by Andy D on 22 June 2005

Do EBC do pads for Mk2s? Fronts are different surely tho they only list "2001-".

Id expect so..............just give the motorfactors or Halfords a ring..............and the fronts will be dif from the rears.

Cya Stu

GR7

Shiny red R32

Find yourself a good local garage and let them sort your car for half the price! They can get the proper parts, Renault or otherwise and their labour charge is more realistic than the thieving main dealers!!

Have had EBC Red all round and found them O.K.

Red is theonly one to use for the road, green is not suitable due to the weight and speed of the V6.

EBC changed the webb site when I purchased my pads after refering back to Head Office of EBC.

At the time tried to get information of other makes with no joy.

Pagid sent the wrong ones, then said suitable pads would be available in Feb 2004 still not heard any thing.

Other makes all backed off, could not get a price for Ferodo.

Changing the pads is no problem, front very easey, back you have to retract the piston by turning it.

If you do a serach you will find a number of threads on the subject.

Buying from Renault is expensive.

V

v6Max

As others have said you can get standard pads from Renault for the price of an eBay kidney or alternatively look at Ferodo DS2500 for the fronts (much better than OEM as well) and/or EBC Redstuff - Im running EBC Redstuff ceramics on the rear of mine and no complaints. Ferodos were just a bit over £100 and the EBCs were about £80.

With the comments about not damaging the wings etc - I had my car punted through a tyre wall at Bruntingthorpe whilst passengering alongside a guy with only FWD experience; the near side front wing and splitter and serious cracks, spidering and scuffs - all repaired on site for £150.

v6 mk2

Quote: Originally posted by v6Max on 23 June 2005

As others have said you can get standard pads from Renault for the price of an eBay kidney or alternatively look at Ferodo DS2500 for the fronts (much better than OEM as well) and/or EBC Redstuff - Im running EBC Redstuff ceramics on the rear of mine and no complaints. Ferodos were just a bit over £100 and the EBCs were about £80.

With the comments about not damaging the wings etc - I had my car punted through a tyre wall at Bruntingthorpe whilst passengering alongside a guy with only FWD experience; the near side front wing and splitter and serious cracks, spidering and scuffs - all repaired on site for £150.
new ones are over £2k though, its ok if they can be fixed but i meant if they are destroyed!!!

V

v6Max

EBC rear pad part number is DP31526C (The C indicates ceramic) £68 ex VAT

S2000

Got Redstuff ceramic on the front of ours. No complaints, cost about £70 and nothing out of the ordinary to fit them.

Quote: Originally posted by v6Max on 24 June 2005

EBC rear pad part number is DP31526C (The C indicates ceramic) £68 ex VAT

According to the web site Max the C stands for Citroen.

Cya Stu

PS Ive got Red stuff on the back and no complaints either from me.

V

v6Max

Yes I saw that but when I spoke to them they said it also stands for Ceramic! - How you decide what it means in each case I dont know allthough MikeT, I think, has said the rear calipers are off a Citroen.

Clio RS 172 Ph2

Guys... some feedback for you!

I just had Scott fit me a set of new front AP pads... £110 inc Parts & Labour.

Renaults price is taking the absolute PI$$!

Quote: Originally posted by 137699 on 14 July 2005

Guys... some feedback for you!

I just had Scott fit me a set of new front AP pads... £110 inc Parts & Labour.

Renaults price is taking the absolute PI$$!

So how much would it be for the pads only including P&P?

Cya Stu

Clio RS 172 Ph2

Youll need to PM Scotty6r4 and ask him.

Im not sure if hes planning to run a mail-order type service or not - best you check with him direct!